All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: New probiotic " balanced biotic" new
      #319540 - 11/27/07 04:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Align contains Bifidobacteria infantis which is also contained in VSL#3. In clinical trials this bacteria by itself in the concentration contained in Align and VSL#3 has been shown to have beneficial effects for IBS.

The effectiveness of a probiotic is not dependant how many different bacteria it contains but which bacteria it contains. Many of the probiotics sold in HFS contain probiotics that are untested and in low concentrations.

A recent study concluded:
In summary, the literature confirms the potential benefit of Bifidobacteria [e.g. Align] alone or the specific probiotic combination, VSL#3, on symptoms in IBS without the induction of significant changes in bowel function

The amount of sugar and milk protien in Align is miniscule unlikely to cause problems for most IBS suffers.

Reference
Quigley, E. M. M. and B. Flourie, 2007: Probiotics and irritable bowel syndrome: a rationale for their use and an assessment of the evidence to date. Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 19, 166-172.

Santosa, S., E. Farnworth, and P. Jones, 2006: Probiotics and their potential health claims. Nutrition Reviews, 64, 265-274.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#319541 - 11/27/07 04:43 AM
Syl

Many IBS studies have shown that certain kinds of bacteria found in the flora of the large bowel when taken orally in high enough concentrations may reduce the symptoms of IBS. In some case the amount of these good bacteria can be increased by consuming certain prebiotics (e.g. some SF supplements are prebiotics).

Heather talks about it on this web page.

You can read more about this in research library. For example see following library entry
http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=library&Number=56178&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=1

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#319542 - 11/27/07 05:07 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

Syl what probiotic do you take? I want to take something that is friendly for those with fructose issues.. which is what it seems i have.. this diet works wonders! i feel normal!!!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#319543 - 11/27/07 05:13 AM
Syl

At the moment I don't take any probiotics. If I was going to try one it would be Align or VSL#3.

--------------------

#319552 - 11/27/07 07:53 AM
steve333

Reged: 08/01/04

There are other benefits to the other probiotics used in theralac and VSL#3. If the bifidus in Align doesn not affect your particular condition it will not be effective. It also takes multiple billions of probiotics to actively implant in the colon. The addition of artificial coloring is enough to turn me off to that company.

#319553 - 11/27/07 08:10 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Just a note, if you're looking for B. Infantis you may want to look at children's probiotics. The Infantis bacteria is the only one recommended for infants, so children's probiotics tend to contain this in higher concentration. They also tend to be cheaper than Align or VSL#3.

One that I've seen: Udo's Choice Infant's Blend

--------------------
Kat

#319560 - 11/27/07 08:46 AM
Syl

Ah - ha - that is interesting. I checked the Udo's but for some reason they only sell to US residents. I will keep looking. Thank you

--------------------

#319562 - 11/27/07 08:48 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I see the Udo's Choice probiotics all the time in health food stores (I live in Ottawa). It's always available at Natural Food Pantry, and I've seen it at Rainbow foods.

I have seen others but can't think of the brand names right now. Next time I'll have a closer look.

--------------------
Kat

#319566 - 11/27/07 10:15 AM
Syl

OK - I will check some HFS here in Saskatoon. When I checked last year the choice was limited.

By the way - I too found that my IBS wasn't so problematic when I was in China for a few weeks. This is interesting given that the frequency of IBS seems to be the same across racial, ethnic and national boundaries.

--------------------

#319584 - 11/27/07 11:51 AM

Unregistered

Is anyone familiar w/the Whole Foods Co-Op brand? It's called Suprema Dophilus & contains 4 billion cells.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10610

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review