All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Do you cheat? new
      #319545 - 11/27/07 07:15 AM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

Is it really cheating or are you just discovering you can tolerate old favorites in small, much smaller, amounts? I mean, isn't the "diet" personal and as different as there are people with IBS? I know I can handle things Heather says are triggers (coffee), and things she says are safe give me big problems (oatmeal). So is it really cheating?
BTW-Thursday will be 2 months since I've had an episode. Yea.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#319550 - 11/27/07 07:37 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I don't know if I would call it cheating which is why I put the word cheating in quotes. The one thing that I know will definitely send me to the bathroom is milk (ice cream, skim, whole, etc.--blood tests show that I'm NOT lactose intolerant) I think atlantic salmon sends me to the loo as well. Other than that, if I eat things that I eat on long weekends or the things I ate on Thanksgiving on a day before knowing that I have to leave the house (which mean weeknights since I work the next day) or if I'm eating foods like that (even safe foods!) and I'm not at home, my mind will start to convince me that maybe I shouldn't have eaten that and so then I start to make my gut go into convulsions. (Thanksgiving was at my sister's house and she lives right around the corner from me). I was actually nervous about going to her house (I've only been there over 100 times) and I don't know why. When the nerves went away, the hunger kicked in and I ate.

That's why I said that my anxiety plays a whole lot in this game. Of course, I've been following the diet's regimen in avoiding certain foods but even safe foods I won't eat while at work because my mind is convinced that it'll make me sick and ultimately it would. If I have to run chores or go to a movie, I make sure not to eat until I know I'm staying put at home. As you can see, I'm very mental!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#319554 - 11/27/07 08:31 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I "cheat" on a regular basis by eating pork and venison - both are considered red meat. However, I tolerate them well, so I don't consider it true cheating, hence the quotes. I can also handle dairy as a minor ingredient. Oh, and Domino's pizza and a local place near my folks' works out pretty well for me. I don't know why, but who am I to question pizza?

Every now and then, I really cheat and have a little bit of cheese or a sip of my husband's hot chocolate or something like that.

NOTE: I fairly stable and would recommend cheating like I do unless you are also fairly stable.

PS - I haven't gone near beef in almost 4 years. No way, UH-UH!! The infamous "beef & brocolli incident of 2004" put an end to that. I do not miss it.

#319570 - 11/27/07 10:33 AM

Unregistered

I agree with you that the diet is personal....I've never given up coffee either or pork chops - I gotta give my family some red meat....but I do stay far far away from ground beef!

#319576 - 11/27/07 11:04 AM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

Congrats! I agree with you...plus, oatmeal is one of those wacko triggers for me too.

#319577 - 11/27/07 11:07 AM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

Can I ever relate! For me it's hugely mental too. Sometimes I'll have days where I eat foods I can usually tolerate and if I spend even a minute or two questioning myself or getting worried about having a flair up, it almost inevitably ends up bugging me later.

#319616 - 11/28/07 04:27 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I think my anxiety definitely plays a role in what i can tolerate too. For example, if i tell myself that i'm not going to drink coffee ever again and then i do i feel so guilty and anxious about it that my IBS flairs up. But if i don't put such pressures on myself and am more laid back about having a little bit of something then i don't get an attack at all. Stupid mind!!! So, my plan for 2008 is to be a little easier on myself and set more realistic food and IBS goals instead of becoming insanely obsessive about every item of food. Anyhoo... Sorry for my rant.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Never new
      #319621 - 11/28/07 06:09 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Yet, I have yet to reap the benefits. Maybe I should be more relaxed and take more chances. I don't know.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Sarah new
      #319622 - 11/28/07 06:16 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

So, my plan for 2008 is to be a little easier on myself and set more realistic food and IBS goals instead of becoming insanely obsessive about every item of food.

Do you mean you are going to drink/eat more risky foods...such as coffee, more regularly? When I think "I'm never going to be able to ever drink/eat something again, I just get so depressed. Yet, I think I would be too anxious to even enjoy it.

I opened a can of diet coke, and ended up pouring it all out! Same when I tried to have coffee. It's just so scary that I can't even enjoy it if I tried them.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Sarah new
      #319629 - 11/28/07 06:47 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Jordy, I've done the same thing! I opened up a can of Coke about a week ago and I poured it all out because just as quickly as the thought popped into my head that nothing will happen, the thought that I'd better not came into my head. Now, had it been a long weekend, I would've drank it. See, for me it's never a true test to try out foods that I used to have before when I know I don't have to leave the house because I my mind is relaxed. However, I would never test anything out if I know I have to leave the house because a food item that would probably do me no harm will wreak havoc on my bod because my nutty mind will start to get its anxiety gears going.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5498 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6374

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review