All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Allergy, intolerance, trigger
      #319315 - 11/21/07 04:36 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am getting ready to do a blood allergy test of 150 foods through my chiro office to a lab out of state. Anyway the chiro and I sort of argued about allergy vs. intolerance. He says there are immediate immune reactions to allergies like hives but there are delayed reactions too that are still allergies. So the test covers these but I said then it doesn't check for intolerance and basically he confused me. Then Cooking Light had a thing about the difference and I was right about what I was trying to say. The blood test doesn't check intolerance and I'd be back to square one if I have no allergies. I am curious to see if I do but I bet I don't and I think that will actually depress me. I told him it would be better to have an allergy or a big intolerance that could be avoided and you'd feel great, but having triggers with IBS doesn't work like that.
I am trying to get some more info on allergies, intolerance and triggers and how to test for them. Is this delayed reaction allergy what we usually call intolerance?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Allergy, intolerance, trigger new
      #319341 - 11/22/07 06:05 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Is this the ALCAT or great smokies test? Because I did the ALCAT for food allergies followed it strickly and saw no changes. ??? let me know which one they are giving you? Is it a blood test?

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319342 - 11/22/07 06:11 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi there, the allergy test you're having sounds an awful lot like the UK version which we call the York Test. Unfortunately, this method of testing, when tested by many different scientific studies, has proven highly inaccurate. For example, one person can have exactly the same test on three separate occasions with the results being very different on each one. Sorry to sound negative- just wanted you to be aware of how valid it is or isn't as the case may be.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#319345 - 11/22/07 06:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check out this document from the NIH. It gives a fairly reasonable discussion about allergies, intolerances and tests.

Here are some other useful links
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/921790508.html
http://www.med.nyu.edu/patientcare/library/article.html?ChunkIID=21662
http://www4.cord.edu/fns/portfolios/mgstroms/FoodIntvsFoodAll.htm

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Yes exactly new
      #319404 - 11/24/07 06:51 AM
Little Minnie

It costs a lot of money and I don't foresee a great result. I am actually going to ask my doctor first. The stool test I am thinking about is probably more beneficial. I asked my doctor last year for some more allergy/intolerance tests and she said no, that it was better to do eliminations.
I just wish I had something solid, that I could avoid something or several things and be all better. I am not able to do anything anymore. Going out in the evening is usually nearly impossible. I had excrutiating pain last night when we went out to eat. It really makes it no fun at all! And being that my gas has become so stinky I can't let out any gas. Then I go outside or to an empty bathroom and let farts that go on for about a minute!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

except new
      #319405 - 11/24/07 07:06 AM
Little Minnie

I do have allergies though and perhaps it makes me more susceptible to having a food allergy. I have exercise induced hives and dust allergies and asthma. Well I guess my doctor will answer that.

--------------------

Re: except new
      #319461 - 11/26/07 11:00 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"I do have allergies though and perhaps it makes me more susceptible to having a food allergy."

It makes sense to me that any food allergy might exacerbate the environmental allergy. In fact, some people have had success at reducing or eliminating asthma problems by eliminating dairy (I assume you have done so already). The point is, a food allergy could be making your other allergies worse, and also be contributing to IBS symptoms. Do a quick Google search on "asthma food allergy". The hard part is finding the food allergy.

I did the ELISA blood test for allergies, but I don't think it's necessary. The best way to identify (or prevent) a food allergy would be an elimination or rotation diet. A rotation diet just means you only eat the suspected food once a week or so. So, if you're having a particular food everyday, try only having it once a week and see if there's improvement (look for improvement in your IBS symptoms immediately, and for long-term immune system improvement, a good indicator would be your allergies). There are quite a few foods that we rely on everyday like eggs, wheat (spelt is a good replacement, can't tell the difference), soy etc... You can talk to your doctor more about low-allergen diets, and doing an elimination or rotation diet.

Let us know how it goes,

--------------------
Kat

Re: except new
      #319512 - 11/26/07 04:53 PM
Little Minnie

The thing with eliminations is deciding what food is suspect. That was why I was originally interested in the food allergy test. I have eliminated wheat several times, dairy for good, soy, sugar, chocolate, etc. I have not tried a low fructose diet and don't want to this time of year with the good citrus. Anyway I wonder about something I eat a lot that is unsuspected. I also realize that my diet is very much the same now as when my symptoms were gone so it is unlikely to be an allergy.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1866

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review