All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
suggestions for "tasty" wheat-free or gluten free bread and snacks
      #319207 - 11/20/07 12:15 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'd like to stock up on some wheat free and/or gluten free bread and snacks so that I can try the approach of avoiding wheat products to help with my gas/bloating. However, when I first started this diet, I spent way too much money in the HFS on things that tasted way too gross and I wound up throwing a lot out. Can some of you please list your favorite brand names for WF or GF products such as bread, snack bars, etc.? especially ones that might be found in my general supermarket in the organic isle. Thanks!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: suggestions for "tasty" wheat-free or gluten free bread and snacks new
      #319209 - 11/20/07 12:36 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Lays baked regular potato chips are my favorite snack. Lay's baked tostitos scoops are also GF.

Other GF stuff I buy:
-in bulk section of HFS: quinoa flakes, quinoa whole grain, rice spaghetti pasta
-buckwheat noodles (expensive, but so darn good!)
-amaranth pasta
-amaranth puffs

I make a homemade snack with amaranth puffs that sometimes turns out as a bar. I mix amaranth puffs, peanut butter and honey in a small bowl. Sometimes I've had success heating the honey and peanut butter and mixing it with the puffs, letting it cool into squares. But most of the time I just mix it all room temperature and eat it out of the bowl.

I don't do bread, don't really like it anymore. sorry! hopefully someone can recommend a brand.

--------------------
Kat

#319212 - 11/20/07 01:05 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

When I was eating gluten free (just because of a misdiagnosis of celiac) I had a tough time finding bread that I liked. I ended up getting a breadmaker which solved my problems. The Gluten Free Kitchen brand had a white sandwich bread mix I made and I really enjoyed it. It was still dense, but much fluffier than the other stuff I tried. Also, it tasted the most like real bread. Also, I found a cinnamon raisin bread I liked--It was by kinnikinnick. strange name, but their food was mostly good. Also, I once found some chocolate chip cookies by them that tasted incredible.
My other advice is that I did spend a lot of money on food substitutions, but focus your diet around proteins and potatoes and rice. It saves money and all those horrible times you take a bit of the nast gluten free food out there!
Good luck to you!

--------------------
IBS-A

#319213 - 11/20/07 01:30 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Two things that first come to mind are these Tortillas which I live on!(good with hummus on them...or blended beans). Also, for a quick snack, bars (but the chocolate ones have dairy...so stick to PB). I would also recommend munching on dry cereals. I like cereal but I'm currently trying to back off corn.

For just wheat free, I loved WF cereal. or Neumans wheat free fig bars...if you can tolerate figs.

Like Kat mentioned, also the baked chips and tostitos scoops are GF.

I also like web page and web page , although that one contains corn too.

Oh, I also have eaten Amaranth O's dry cereal, but that has 8 grams fiber (2 are SF).

For a treat, you could do 1/2 Kinikinnick English muffin with peanut butter or I scrape the frosting off the KK donuts and eat 1/2 of those (only a holiday indulgence cuz so expensive) . Frosting is safe, just too sweet for me.

Finally, Kininnick Kinnick GF chocolate cake mix made according to the "cake for one" recipe on the boards.

That's it for now. I'd love to hear from others.

I hope you find some relief. So far, I'm not finding much....thus the reason I have tried to eliminate some corn products. I tend to think the GF diet helps D folks better.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Edited by Jordy (11/21/07 09:09 AM)

#319214 - 11/20/07 01:32 PM
Jordy

Quote:

but focus your diet around proteins and potatoes and rice. It saves money and all those horrible times you take a bit of the nast gluten free food out there!

I agree!!! A baked sweet potato is much cheaper than GF bread sandwhich.

--------------------

Aly new
      #319215 - 11/20/07 01:34 PM
Jordy

You still doing okay eating gluten? Do you feel better than when you weren't? I forget why you initially went GF.

Also, while I have you hear do you still take align? How is that working out?

--------------------

Re: Aly new
      #319220 - 11/20/07 02:19 PM
Aly

so, yes. I eat gluten and loooove it! haha. Honestly, the basic story was that my doc took bloodwork for celiac and it was positive. the biopsy was neg, but he told me I had celiac anyway. I ate gluten free for 1 year, was still quite sick. Finally found out my gallbladder wasn't functioning and ended up getting it removed. the surgeon then told me that if something is inflamed (such as the gallbladder) it can give a false pos. for the celiac test.
So gluten and I get along great.
As for align, yep--still on it. I THINK it really is going great. I say I think because who knows if its doing the work or me keeping my stress under wraps... either way, I take it daily and haven't had any serious belly attacks in a long time. (and honestly, I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection right now and I havne't had any D yet. shocking!)
So I still very much support align!
how have you been, Jordy? Thanks for asking about me!

--------------------
IBS-A

#319221 - 11/20/07 02:25 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

When I was doing the GF diet, I ate a lot of Cliff Nectar bars (they're dried fruit and nut bars, very yummy). I also liked the Enjoy Life double chocolate cookies. Corn and rice based cereals are good. I didn't eat any GF bread, but Mission Corn Tortillas can be a good substitute.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

Thank you everyone!!!! I'm looking forward to trying some things! n/t new
      #319274 - 11/21/07 09:00 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Aly new
      #319440 - 11/26/07 07:35 AM
Jordy

Sounds like you are doing well...tummy wise at least. Sorry about the endo.

Can I ask where you purchase your align? I have C, so maybe align works better for those with D???

Nobody ever told me about the relationship between inflammation and antibodies. Interesting. It would be interesting if you were to now have your blood retested to see if you have neg. results. Glad you figured it all out, though. That's what counts!

--------------------

Anyone know where to purchase Align?-nt new
      #319625 - 11/28/07 06:27 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: Anyone know where to purchase Align?-nt new
      #319639 - 11/28/07 07:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You can purchase from them on-line
http://www.aligngi.com/about.shtml

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

discount new
      #319654 - 11/28/07 10:15 AM
Aly

and you can get a discount if you put in thepromo code of ALIGNFRIEND

Let me know how you like it!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Anyone know where to purchase Align?-nt new
      #319685 - 11/28/07 03:14 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I called Target pharmacy and they special ordered it for me. It was there the next day - no extra charge for special order.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Thanks all! new
      #319713 - 11/29/07 07:58 AM
Jordy

I was hoping I would be able to just buy it from a store, since it is made by the same people who make Metamucil.

Hopefully, it helps C as much as D. Everyone I know who likes this product happens to have been D.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review