All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone IBS and Acid reflux flare when sick?
      #319018 - 11/18/07 07:39 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

So even know I had so much to shop and get ready for this week holiday. I am sick with a nasty cold and IBS flare. How lovely huh? Mom has offered now to have the holiday to I can just rest and went to get the turkey for me and few extras. Plus I sent hubby out for staples.. sigh So has anyone else had horrible heartburn, gas and cramping when sick? And when I lay down all I do is cough.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone IBS and Acid reflux flare when sick? new
      #319020 - 11/18/07 08:15 PM

Unregistered

Deb,
Sorry I can't offer any real advice, but want to wish you a speedy recovery. I'm all gassy tonight too, cuz I ate bad foods on Saturday. Maybe lay down with a few pillows under your head to avoid the coughing and a hot long steamy shower or steamy bath and then quickly cuddle up in terry robe and blankets. Hope you feel better soon.

#319042 - 11/19/07 06:39 AM
auntdebs318

Thanks.. I am actually taking it easy. Going to the doc tonight since the sore throat and congestion is killing me. Have you ever tried musinex?

--------------------

IBS safe meds for a cold and sore throat? new
      #319043 - 11/19/07 06:40 AM
auntdebs318

--------------------

#319048 - 11/19/07 07:36 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I don't have a cold, but I am just getting over a two week long intestinal virus (complete with fever, chills, nausea, and diarrhea), so I can sympathize! My insides feel all sore and tender, and I'm trying to eat as carefully as I can, but I think it will take a little while for them to return to normal. Take it easy and try to relax over the holidays.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#319057 - 11/19/07 08:09 AM

Unregistered

auntdeb,
How are you feeling today? I hope better.

Musinex for gas? Is this an over the counter product? Something I can get at a health food store?
I've been taking Imodium about once a week to avoid constipation, and I've been doing pretty OK, but not perfect. I used to live on Gas-X, but haven't taken it since starting Heather's diet and Acacia powder. Any thoughts on this?

#319060 - 11/19/07 08:24 AM
auntdebs318

Sarah,

Musinex is a cough suppresant..LOL I am still feeling crappy so I made an appt tonight to see the doc. Hubby is going to take me since my head feels like its going to explode..LOL Just snuggling up in my robe and watching some tv.

P.S. whats up at work? did you pick a territory?

--------------------

Elena new
      #319061 - 11/19/07 08:25 AM
auntdebs318

Thanks for the thoughtful words..

--------------------

#319067 - 11/19/07 08:40 AM

Unregistered

I'm sorry you're not feeling better. Hope Doc is helpful.
ST

#319071 - 11/19/07 08:53 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I tend to get acid reflux when it's that time of the month!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#319078 - 11/19/07 09:03 AM

Unregistered

LOL! Glad you can laugh. Sorry your head is exploding.
I'm munching on honey nut cheerios, hope it doesn't screw my day up.
Thanks for asking. I spoke to the owner and he is giving me time. I'm taking 2 weeks leave without pay starting Wednesday. I don't think I'll be able to travel to see customers at the end of my 2 week leave, but I'm hoping the need won't come up for a while and I'll have the time to emotionally prepare myself to do it when it does come up. I'm having way more good days than bad days lately so I'm feeling hopeful and I'm relying on our ever loving God who has always come through for me. I had a normal BM this morning after bad gas last night, and I was so excited and confident, I forgot to take my acacia and forgot to pack my teas for work. This tells me of my state of mind, which is good, but I'm a little nervous about not having the acacia in my tummy and not having my security teas with me, but I could always just go home, right? - 40 min back & forth.
Feel good.

#319082 - 11/19/07 09:18 AM
auntdebs318

thanks for cheering me up.. I am in the same delema at home but wasnt sure if the acadia is whats making be some rumbling and gasy since I havent ate anything besides FF chicken noodle or rice soup that I made hear?? But after I take it, it seems to make it worse. So I am laying off it for today. But you my dear, better get your but home!! LOL or take it tonight before dinner or before bed. I dont know how much you take. I am still on 1/2 tsp 2wice a day. This is my 4th week on that. When I increased last week it freaked out so Shell and Zara said to increase only 1/4 tsp a time. That was supposed to be this weekend. But now with the cold thing I was going to wait. Try not obsessive think that you dont have the acadia or teas. FYI I now keep a ziplock bag with fennel and decaf green teas in my desk and handbag. And maybe you should bring a stash to work when you come back with a measuring spoon. If you would open my one desk drawer I am an IBS safe pantry at work. Its a shame you dont work with me..LOL Everything from fresh french bread, heathers recipe bread, cerals. And in the fridge and freezer (open to all staff) I have a cooler with boars head all natural turkey,almond milk, soup. So what I do is usually on sunday I make up my stash for the week. This way it is one last thing to think about.Since as you know in Sales the heat is on for year end bonus.

--------------------

Re: IBS safe meds for a cold and sore throat? new
      #319086 - 11/19/07 09:53 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I found the best remedy so far is to squeeze the juice of a lemon into a drinking glass, add water and about a small spoon of honey. Have that drink each day you're sick. You can use warm water to make it easier to melt the honey and it feels nice going down your throat.

Also home made chicken broth loosens up mucous. Garlic is a good anti-viral if you're tummy can handle it. Plenty of rest and fluids too.

I would avoid medication, it doesn't seem to help much for colds and has always bothered my IBS.

--------------------
Kat

#319093 - 11/19/07 11:10 AM

Unregistered

lol. Believe it or not, I'm doing ok, and its already 1:21. YAY! And thanks for your good idea. I will bring some powder and teas & keep here at work. Brilliant. Would be nice if someone here at work were in the same boat, not that I wish it on anyone. At least all women or at least all under age 45 get their periods, & I can rely sometimes on their stash of you know..Gotta be grateful for the little things..:)
I do bring one loaf of french bread every day to work, but now that you mention it I could keep some in the freezer here, not a bad idea either.
I'm at 1 level teaspoon twice a day and I'm attributing my doing better to the acacia. So far, I only had bad gas bouts after eating foods that were overcooked or leftover poultry or fish, so I'm not yet ready to blame the acacia for the gas. I also find that when I'm hungry I tend get gassy and don't stop burping. I take 2 tsp Acacia before I take my walk as soon as I wake up in the morning and in the evening before I eat dinner. It usually takes about 20 to 40 minutes to prepare my dinner cuz I eat only freshly made.
ST

#319098 - 11/19/07 11:56 AM
auntdebs318

Are you sure the lemon juice will be okay with acid reflux? I think I will just stay with the hot water and small amounts of honey. Thanks for your help. I am going to the doc tonight just to make sure its just a cold. Cause the coughing and running nose is killing me.

--------------------

#319176 - 11/20/07 07:03 AM
auntdebs318

Okay I went to the doc and I have a cold. Thank goodness its not the flu. He gave me some meds but I had hubby stop at CVS and I got vicks cream and benadryl. It helping but he said it will take 7-10 days to move through. So the good news I am on day six so hopefully the worst is over. I picked up some decaf celesstal seasoning green tea and honey so I have been sipping that and resting. So I will crash today and try to go back to work tommorow. Since I am off thursday and friday.

Sarah,

Did you take your acadia today missy? I did..LOL doc said my belly is upset from the cold.

--------------------

#319350 - 11/22/07 11:35 AM
K2

Lemon is one of the most naturally alkaline foods. Alkaline is the opposite of acidic. Eating alkaline foods can help reduce heartburn because it restores the stomach to a more balanced PH. A lot of people think lemon is pure acid and I'm not sure how this became widely accepted. All I can say is get a real lemon, not lemon juice packaged (which usually has citric acid added).

http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20040711.htm

I don't have problems with reflux, so I really can't tell from experience. However it may be worth looking into.

Either way, honey will help. I'm hoping you feel better from your cold already, but you can look into the lemon thing for next time.

--------------------
Kat

Lemon is acidic new
      #319353 - 11/22/07 12:34 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Lemons are acidic not alkaline. Lemon juice is about 5% acid, which gives lemons a tart taste, and a pH of 2 to 3; it is nearly as acidic as stomach acid. Lemon juice is used to adjust the pH of foods. For example, it is used to decrease the pH of tomotoes and salsa during the canning process to prevent the growth of micro-organisms.

The primary acid in lemons and limes is citric acid , an organic acid. It can account for up to 8% of the dry weight of these fruits.

Here are some generally accepted pH ranges for some foods

Alkaline Foods - pH above 7.0 - Eggs, soda crackers
Low Acid Foods - pH of 5.0-7.0 - Meat, fish, poultry, dairy
Medium Acid Foods - pH 4.5 - 5.0 - Soups, pasta, pimento
Acid Foods - pH 3.7 - 4.5 - Peaches, oranges, tomatoes
High Acid Foods - pH 2.3 - 3.7 - Lemons, pickled products

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Syl new
      #319354 - 11/22/07 12:43 PM
K2

I was looking here: http://www.essense-of-life.com/info/foodchart.htm
as well as other sites for acidity of foods (not for heartburn or IBS but for general health).
I'm a bit confused.. there seems to be two sides, with absolutely opposite values for foods.

--------------------
Kat

#319355 - 11/22/07 01:18 PM
Syl

I would be extremely careful of information that does not come from a reliable source such as a published peer reviewed paper, a government agency, a university or other authorative sources. Much of the information on health food and supplement sites are highly questionable. The essence of life is a classic supplement vendor. It is worth while reading their all inclusive disclaimer

The information on Heather's site is a rare exception. She has taken care to ensure her information comes from reliable sources.

There are a lot of snake oil vendors in the health food and supplement business. Caveat emptor or "Let the buyer beware".

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#319362 - 11/23/07 06:51 AM
auntdebs318

Thank you Syl for clearing that up and K2 for your help. I am finally feeling like my old self again. I did go to the doc and he said it was just a cold. I am not a big fan of meds since they always make me have side effects. So I took Benedryl which always agree's with me and drank safe IBS hot soup and hot decaf green teas with honey. I stay away from lemon and all citrus because of the GERD. But the great news I was able to enjoy thanksgiving with my family and my mom was so sweet she made things seperatly just for me. And the first time in years I was NOT IN PAIN. And had a BM this am. So of course I am thrilled!!

I hope everyone else enjoyed dinner and family or friends.

--------------------

Re: Lemon is acidic new
      #319367 - 11/23/07 08:36 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Yup, lemons are acidic. However, lemons make the blood more alkaline. Once digested, lemon has a powerful alkaline effect on the body. From all I've read, lemon also has excellent digestive properties, and can ease heartburn and bloating, and has detoxifying effects.

Re: Lemon is acidic new
      #319369 - 11/23/07 08:48 AM
Syl

Unfortunately the notion that lemons can change the pH (acidity or alkalinity) of blood is nonsense!

The pH of blood is highly regulated to keep it within a very narrow range 7.35-7.45 which is close to the pH of water (7.0). If the pH of blood falls outside this very narrow range serious illness and perhaps fatal effects may occur.

Even if you ate a bushel of lemons it won't change the alkalinity of your blood

--------------------

Re: I think the important thing.. new
      #319371 - 11/23/07 09:18 AM
K2

is to eat a variety of foods. From the lists you can see vegetables and fruits are on one end, meats and grains on the other. So have a balance of both for best health.

Sorry, didn't want to start arguments about acidity of foods and GERD since I don't even have it or know much about it. If something bothers your GERD then safe to say don't have a lot of it

--------------------
Kat

#319372 - 11/23/07 09:19 AM
K2

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving!

I had mine a month ago (in Canada it's earlier) and managed somehow to have 2 pieces of pumpkin pie and apple crisp with no rumbling in the tummy at all. Just makes it so much more enjoyable when you're not in pain eh?

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5339

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review