All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question for all ibs d's
      #318871 - 11/16/07 05:16 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I went to the doctor a month ago complaining of a nervous stomach and urgent d. He told me that it was too much acid production in my stomach and he put me on Aciphex a proton inhibitor/ acid blocker instead of an anti-depressant or a pill for ibs. He said when I got nervous it produced too much acid which was causing the d. Has anyone ever heard or had their doctor put them an acid reflux/ proton inhibitor pill? It works sometimes and others it doesn't and I have to take a Xanax and Immodium to calm down my stomach! I don't think this is my problem. What are your thought or experiances with ibs d meds.? Which ones work and without side effects? Thanks!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for all ibs d's new
      #318901 - 11/17/07 06:47 AM
Sweetd

-bump-

--------------------

#318902 - 11/17/07 06:52 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

My GP told me the same thing a few years ago. He put me on an antiacid drug (Zantac as I recall). It didn't help at all.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#318903 - 11/17/07 06:54 AM
Sweetd

Is helps some days and other it doesn't. Are you on anything now that helps? Thanks!

--------------------

#318908 - 11/17/07 07:45 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

No meds just Heather's diet plus a low fructose diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#318923 - 11/17/07 10:39 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I was told to use antacids about 12 years, when I was first diagnosed. It actually made my IBS (D) worse. The best results I've had have been with a very low dose of amitryptyline (Elavil) and following Heather's Diet.

Maria! Maria! I have a question for you. new
      #318931 - 11/17/07 11:21 AM
Sweetd

Lucikly it doesn't make it worse, but I heard with some people they can. As for the Elavil, are you still on it and is there any side effects? How many milligrams are you on and how often do you take it? I've been on Heather's diet as well for years, so maybe the diet and the Elavil I will work for me as well, I can only hope! Everyday I'm scared to go to work because I fear I'll have d and I'll have to go to the br there . So, I'm desperate to try anything at this point, just so I can function and not worry at work that I'll have to run to the br . Thanks so much for your help!

--------------------

Re: Maria! Maria! I have a question for you. new
      #318937 - 11/17/07 12:03 PM
lalala

I've been on it almost two years now. 10 mg every night (the first month or so I was on 5 mg because I really wary of taking it). It's low enough that it doesn't affect your mood, but enough to help w/ D, pain, and insomnia (which I was having problems with). One of the side effects is that it increases your craving for sweets, which is why some people gain weight. But if you're aware of this side effect, you can manage those cravings just fine and shouldn't put on excess weight. You might be a little constipated at first, but I wasn't and I have a BM everyday. (Please note that I also have lupus, which may or may not have been aggravating my IBS symptoms and treating that may have also helped with my IBS.)

#318942 - 11/17/07 01:10 PM
Sweetd

Thank you so much for your info.! Did the 5 mg. work for the first month or so? Or not until you went on the 10 mg.? I'm scared too to go on a high dosage. I'm so glad that it helped and that I can start at a low dosage! Thanks for warning me about the sweets thing! I can deal with C for a little bit, so that doesn't sound bad if its only temporary! Did you take a laxative or fiber in the meantime to help with the C, or did it just go away on its own? I think I'm going to try it! Thanks so much for your help!

--------------------

#318943 - 11/17/07 01:34 PM
lalala

If I remember correctly, I think it took about a month to see improvement and I did notice better results at 10 mg. For the constipation, I would recommend taking a fiber supplement, but it wasn't so bad that you'd need to take a laxative, and it went away on its own. At least it wasn't bad for me, since I was tired of dealing with D! If you decide to take this medication, I wish you the best of luck and hope you see the same results I did. I also recommend taking it at night (about two hours before your bedtime) since it will make you a little groggy.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 433 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review