All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
need help with Arcadia??
      #318469 - 11/13/07 06:06 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Alright guys I need some hugs.. I am sooooooo bloated like a balloon is inside of me. Very nauseas and a headache. I started 3 weeks ago with a 1/2 tsp of arcadia morning and night. And I added organic apple sauce with SF as a afternnon snack and seemed to be going every other day. Which was a miracle for me. But now I started to go up to 1tsp on sat am and at night before bed and havent gone since!! 4 days now.. starting to get worried. I had oatmeal again for breakfast and I bought butternut squash soup that I made with almond milk a few weeks ago and frooze in tupperware for work lunch in a pinch. I am drinking hot fennel tea and decaf green tea (good earth my favorite has lemongrass) and plenty of water???

So today I went back to 1/2 tsp in the morning before the oatmeal like I usually do mixed in water. Do you think the increase has freaked it out?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

BUMP new
      #318513 - 11/13/07 12:04 PM
auntdebs318

--------------------

Re: need help with Arcadia?? Zara or Haley new
      #318531 - 11/13/07 05:07 PM
auntdebs318

any suggestions? Haley has your C gotten any better?

--------------------

#318582 - 11/14/07 07:27 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Debs, sorry I haven't been on the boards much in the past few days. I'm so sorry you feel this bad! I don't know about arcadia - is it like acacia? Anyways, it doesn't seem like you increased it that much since you have been on it for three weeks. But, on the other hand, going from 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp is a 100% increase so maybe try 3/4tsp next time you increase your dose. Other then that I don't know.
I haven't been that well myself, my symptoms are pretty much like yours. Bloating and C. So yesterday I counted how much fiber I take everyday (from food and supplements) and I'm going to try and make sure I get at least 25g from food only. I am not going to eat whole wheat flour because I think that really upsets my digestion. I'm going to get my fiber from oats, some legumes (lentils and chickpeas), quinoa and rice, white bread and fruits and some SF vegetables (regular/sweet potatoes mainly).
I don't understand because this past summer I was doing so well in terms of C and I wasn't eating that much fiber. It's always like that, whatever new approach I try works wonders at first and then it slowly goes downhill. So frustrating .

So here's a sample menu for today (I'm also going to have some homemade rice chex mix as a snack) and estimated amount of fiber:

oatmeal with oat bran added (6)
apple (4)
wrap made with avocado and turkey breast (6)
pear (6)
potato casserole (4)
citrucel (4)

So that's at least 26g from food and 4 from citrucel. Plus that chex mix probably has another 1-2g and I may have another piece of fruit or a bit of quinoa if I'm hungry in the afternoon.

If you have headaches and are still constipated I would probably try an enema (water, not those fleet ones). It's not as harsh as laxatives and it will get rid of the toxins in your colon that cause this headache.
I hope you feel better soon! xoxoxo

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318587 - 11/14/07 08:04 AM
auntdebs318

Zara,

THANK YOU so much for responding. I was just starting to lose hope and then finally in the afternoon I went just alittle and it seemed to help with bloating, headache ect.. I am sorry your back to being frustarted. Gotta love IBS it comes and goes. But it looks like your on track.
So I went back to 1/2 tsp (acadia) last night and this am. What I thought I might try is adding another 1/2 tsp to before lunch?? Maybe this way its not all lumped at one time. But maybe I will try the 3/4 tsp like you suggested tonight and see if that works better. By the way, I am taking heather acadia.LOL I must have added the "r" by accident.

I like the idea of adding up the SF, I think I might try that. I stay away from whole wheat that totally freaks me out as well as salad.

I wounded up calling the doctor and she said to try stool softners if it didnt get any better. I made another batch of vanilla applesauce cake last night with pumpkin pie spice and alittle rum extract. I just had some for morning snack. It was yummy..

Can I have your casserole recipe please? As I always am looking for new ideas.

What part of Maryland are you in? I am 30 min outside of Philly..

--------------------

Fiber estimates new
      #318589 - 11/14/07 08:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Zara, you may be underestimating your fiber intake if you are using charts and database. While they may give you an estimate of the total dietary fiber (SF + IF) they don't give you the amount of functional fiber. See this message for more details.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#318631 - 11/14/07 12:57 PM
Zara

Debs, that's great that you feel better! I think breaking up the fiber into smaller doses throughout the day is a good idea! Hopefully that will work.

My recipe, ehm, it's not really a "recipe" but just my version of this Czech meal called french potatoes (they're not really french, it's kind of like we call french fries "french", lol). I don't know the exact measurements since I always eyeball it. So here it goes:

white potatoes, boiled in skin, peeled and diced - enough to fill up a baking pan of your desired size
ham (I use lean turkey ham), chopped - about 1 1/2 c
4 hard boiled eggs, diced
2 egg whites

Put half of the diced potatoes on the bottom of your baking pan, top with half of the chopped ham and half of the diced boiled eggs. Season with salt and pepper and repeat the layers. Finally pour egg whites over the casserole and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. I usually put less ham and mostly diced egg whites on one half for myself and my hubby eats the other half. It's even better if you mix sour cream into the liquids egg whites but oh well. It's really simple but I love it (probably because I love potatoes).

I'm from Columbia, it's about 15 minutes south of Baltimore. I was actually in Philly a couple weeks ago!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Fiber estimates new
      #318633 - 11/14/07 01:10 PM
Zara

Thanks Syl, I am aware of the functional fiber but you're right, I didn't include it in my calculations. It just that lately I've been feeling like I need to up my SF fiber so I want to increase SF to relieve the cramping.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Zara new
      #318643 - 11/14/07 03:52 PM
auntdebs318

Thanks for the recipe. I would have to take out the yolks from the hard boiled eggs. They really bother me..

Do you have family in philly?

--------------------

Re: Fiber estimates new
      #318652 - 11/14/07 04:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

An easy way get more SF is to eat rice, potatoes and pasta when they are cool. Cooling increases resistant starch in the rice, a functional fiber, giving more SF for the same amount of food

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4707 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5882

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review