All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Better with Antibiotics?
      #318391 - 11/12/07 06:44 AM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I just finished 5 days on antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. I was really worried about how my IBS would react, but my BMs were more normal. Has anyone else had this happen?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump - Share your experience with antibiotics? n/t new
      #318882 - 11/16/07 07:12 PM
DianeM

Re: Better with Antibiotics? new
      #318887 - 11/16/07 07:33 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

You may have problems down the road. Antibiotics don't always have an immediate negative effect, even months later...........

#319538 - 11/26/07 10:19 PM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

I am IBS -C mostly, sometimes D. Last summer I unfortunately was subjected to THREE rounds of antibiotics for a resistant sinus infection. During the last course, which lasted two weeks, I experienced near total relief from all my symptoms. But as soon as I was done with the drugs the IBS came back the same as before. I thought it was interesting anyway. Made me think perhaps there is something to the bacterial theory.

#319549 - 11/27/07 07:37 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I had a round of antibiotics for a UTI a few months ago, but it made me feel worse! I definitely suspect that bacteria plays a large role in my symptoms, and I seem to be doing a little better on probiotics.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#319578 - 11/27/07 11:13 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Which probiotic are you taking?Elenadragon?

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319579 - 11/27/07 11:22 AM
ElenaDragon

I'm taking Digestive Advantage for IBS (the capsules, not the chewables, you have to order the capsules online).

--------------------
Lisa

#319589 - 11/27/07 01:07 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Interesting.. My step dad is taking the Gas preventative in chewable from local pharmacy. But when I checked the label it had sorbitol. So I was scared since that or any aspartame kills me. How long have you been taking them? How did you find out about the capsules? So there helping you?

Thanks,

Deb

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319592 - 11/27/07 01:52 PM
ElenaDragon

I take the capsules because they don't have sorbitol in them. I read about them on the Digestive Advantage website. You can buy the capsules from online places like Amazon and CVS... I got mine from Amazon. I'm not sure why they only sell the chewable ones with sorbitol in stores. They say that the amount of sorbitol in it is really small, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I took them for about a month a while back, and was feeling better, but wasn't sure if it was the probiotics. So I started taking them again about a month ago, and they do seem to help some. I have been having less gas and pain. In the past I tried Primal Defense, another probiotic, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Digestive Advantage is relatively cheap for a probiotic, so I'm sticking with it for a while.

--------------------
Lisa

#322667 - 01/18/08 09:13 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

I just finished 5 days on antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. I was really worried about how my IBS would react, but my BMs were more normal. Has anyone else had this happen?

Diane, are you typically more D, C or A? Also what antibiotic did you take? My GI is suggesting that I take antibiotics for my IBS symptoms (actually to see if I have SIBO, the symptoms are basically the same as IBS). I'm really afraid of antibiotics so would love to hear more from you. Are you still IBS symptom free? Please let me know how things are going for you! Thanks

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#322669 - 01/18/08 09:16 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

I am IBS -C mostly, sometimes D. Last summer I unfortunately was subjected to THREE rounds of antibiotics for a resistant sinus infection. During the last course, which lasted two weeks, I experienced near total relief from all my symptoms. But as soon as I was done with the drugs the IBS came back the same as before. I thought it was interesting anyway. Made me think perhaps there is something to the bacterial theory.

That is very interesting - based on conversations I've recently had with my GI docs that actually sounds like SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), you might want to look into that. Anyway, it's very common for people with SIBO to get relief of the symptoms while on antibiotics, then have the symptoms re-appear once antibiotics are stopped. Most docs re-start the antibiotics over and over again (which could be good or bad).

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#322680 - 01/19/08 03:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Over the years it has been observed many times that antibiotics can bring temporary relief of IBS symptoms. Here is an interesting quote from a recent review of the role of antibiotics in IBS

Quote:

However, even when the subjects studied did not have bacterial overgrowth, a randomized control trial of neomycin given for just 10 days showed a transient improvement 1 week after treatment ceased, an effect which was greatest for those whose breath hydrogen fell the most. Others have also reported transient symptomatic benefit with antibiotics such as metronidazole. The mechanism of benefit is unclear, but may be similar to that seen in diets that exclude sources of poorly absorbed carbohydrate, which have been shown to lead to a reduction in 24-h hydrogen and methane gas excretion. However, antibiotic treatments seem unlikely to be useful, as symptoms promptly return on stopping antibiotics and chronic antibiotic therapy is invariably associated with the development of bacterial resistance. Furthermore, other authors have suggested that the consumption of antibiotics actually increases the risk of subsequently developing IBS symptoms.

Reference
Spiller, R. C., 2007: Role of infection in irritable bowel syndrome. Journal of Gastroenterology, V42, 41-47.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#322720 - 01/19/08 05:12 PM
DianeM

No, I've never been symptom free since being diagnosed over a year ago. I had problems years prior to being diagnosed.
I started out as IBS-D, but I think I might be IBS-A now. I believe Cipro is the antibiotic I took. My BMs were normal and I felt a great deal better while taking them. I guess I would say I was almost symptom free while taking the antibiotics. I would never take them long term though.

#322726 - 01/19/08 06:46 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Over the years it has been observed many times that antibiotics can bring temporary relief of IBS symptoms. Here is an interesting quote from a recent review of the role of antibiotics in IBS

Quote:

However, even when the subjects studied did not have bacterial overgrowth, a randomized control trial of neomycin given for just 10 days showed a transient improvement 1 week after treatment ceased, an effect which was greatest for those whose breath hydrogen fell the most.

Hmm, that's oddly interesting. Given that the hydrogen breath test is so highly unreliable (often return a false negative result), could it be that the antibiotics are temporary relieving symptoms of SIBO that was thought to be IBS because of a false negative test result? Heather has stated numerous times that IBS is not bacterial related so I would have to believe that these people studied did in fact have SIBO or some sort of bacterial infection, the tests just didn't show it. Who knows it could even be cell wall bacteria (there is no test to determine if you have this other than an autopsy).

Also note that they even state that the improvement was greatest for those whose breath hydrogen fell the most (this indicates to me that they had a bacterial overgrowth to begin with). It sounds to me like they're contradicting themselves - what do you think?

--------------------

Re: Better with Antibiotics? To Diane new
      #322727 - 01/19/08 06:52 PM
CJIBSDG

Thanks for sharing Diane. I'm right there with you on both counts: I used to be IBS-D but now I'm more IBS-A (since starting the diet). I also would never consider antibiotics long term but I'm beginning to consider giving them a short for a short period of time - I just need to talk to more people who've tried them and determine if the potential risks outweigh the potential relief. If only they came with a lifetime guarantee hehe.

--------------------

#322749 - 01/20/08 07:16 AM
Syl

Breath hydrogen and methane can decrease from the ingestion of antibiotics that kill normal colonic bacteria. The decrease need not be related to SIBO. Note, they can also decrease from the elimination of non-digestable carbohydrates like SF, IF, fructose and sugar alchohols from the diet which are fermented in the colon producing gases.

It is not quite correct that all IBS is not bacteria related. There is a well-known type of IBS call post-infectious IBS (PI-IBS) resulting from bacterial gastroenteritis. PI-IBS has been reported after Campylobacter, Salmonella, and Shigella infections. It is estimated that about 10% of IBS results after a GI infection. In post-infectious IBS, low grade GI inflammation or immune activation may be a basis for altered motility, and/or nerve and mucosal (lining of bowel) function of the gut in IBS. I have PI-IBS which started in Jan 1980 after a GI infection I got when living in California.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#322752 - 01/20/08 07:38 AM
CJIBSDG

Syl, thanks so much for the update! You mentioned some things that certainly striked some curiosity in me...

I'd like to share a little bit of my background and would love your feedback. I lived in Germany for 2 years in the mid 80s. While in Germany I caught something (I assume the flu) I was completely down for a week (never been this sick before in my life). I know that the IBS symptoms appeared shortly after that but I can't say for sure how soon, but I'm pretty certain that it was within 1 year. Do you suppose there could be a link?

Thanks again.

--------------------

#322769 - 01/20/08 08:46 AM
Syl

I guess it is possible. However, there is no mention in the research of PI-IBS occuring after a respiratory illness caused by a virus like the flu.

--------------------

#322775 - 01/20/08 10:33 AM
CJIBSDG

I see - I did read up on this a little bit. I recall reading something a while back that got me wondering if whatever caused that illness in Germany is what triggered my IBS, then seeing your post today brought that back to me. Unfortunately, I've been doing so much research I'm beginning to find it difficult to remember everything and keep it all straight. How do you know that you have PI-IBS? Are there specific tests for this, did you get the tests and what were the results? I'm curious to hear more on this if you dont' mind sharing.

I have no idea if what I had then was the flu or something else. I just assumed it was the flu b/c I had flu-like symptoms (fever, diarrhea, vomitting, weakness). Like I said, I was laid out completely for a solid week, I do recall passing out on the bathroom floor and my poor little 4 year finding me like that. Sometime shortly after that is when all of the diarrhea started for me.

--------------------

#322787 - 01/20/08 12:23 PM
Syl

It is not possible to diagnosis PI-IBS except by elimination. My GI doc told me that it quite possible that I got PI-IBS. I passed a significant amount of blood in my stool and a fairly large mass of bloody tissue when I had gastroenteritis in 1980. Managing the symptoms of PI-IBS is the same process as managing other types of IBS.

--------------------

#322800 - 01/20/08 01:48 PM
CJIBSDG

If it's treated the same as any IBS, does that mean that nothing is done about the bacteria?

--------------------

#322801 - 01/20/08 02:50 PM
Syl

Oh - the bacteria was taken care of at the time of the illness. The IBS persists. I had similar problems when travelling in the middle east and Europe in the 60's. However, to be fair I have to say that I had low level IBS symptoms since I was a teenager. I suspect illnesses, antibiotics, genetics and living have exacerbated my IBS over the years

--------------------

#322822 - 01/20/08 09:40 PM
CJIBSDG

Syl, thanks for all the info. You know it's interesting that you say that your symptoms have worsened over the years. My last GI doc told me that symptoms of IBS typically get better on their own with age. I found that odd because I can definitely say with no question that my symptoms are extremely worse now than they were 20 years when I first began experiencing symptoms. When I say worse, I mean the symptoms appear much more frequent with very few days of little or no symptoms - whereas before I would have months of no symptoms.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4697

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review