All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Has anyone taken Imodium at night before an important event (m)
      #318047 - 11/06/07 07:16 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

that you just can't have a problem with going to the bathroom/finding one etc. I have a conference I am going to with my son's teacher on Friday and my stomach has been a wreck. I am trying to stabilize but have no idea if I will be by then. Right now I'm going 3 to 5 times just in the morning. Obviously I can't do that if we're on the road (1 to 1.5 hour drive) and leaving very early (so I won't have my usual time to get it all out). So I wondered if I took Imodium before I went to bed and then again in the morning, if I'd be ok for the day. Anyone try this? I really have to have my stomach under control!!!

Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone taken Imodium at night before an important event (m) new
      #318054 - 11/06/07 08:43 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I often have committments that require me to be stable whether I want to be or not. My formula is as follows: I eat a good safe (maybe only oatmeal or cream of rice or a baked white potato with nothing but a little sale & pepper) meal three to four hours before the event. Keep in mind that a good safe meal is small by American restaurant standards because IBS folk cannot eat big meals. I then drink a large cup of fennel/mint tea and chew one or two Mylanta gas tabs or Gas X tabs (I have a lot of gas). About 30 minutes before the "event" I chew an Advanced Imodium or not depending on how my tummy feels. I find that if I am really having trouble the Imodium will delay the problem. However I come from a large family of educators (almost all the women and some of the men in my family are public school teachers). Teachers tend to be loving understanding types for the most part. Just be honest and tell her or him that you need to know where the bathroom is because you are having some problems and you may need to excuse yourself during the conference. Good luck to you and hang in there.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#318058 - 11/06/07 09:35 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, if I'm not stable or have been having some iffy days. I'll 1/2 dose (1 caplet) and make sure that I spent that day eating safely and resting.

#318061 - 11/06/07 09:47 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Oh I hear your anxiety. Okay, relax and tell yourself that if you eat very safely the day before and take the precautionary med like immodium, you can do it. Yes, I have taken immodium the evening before an event (2) and even though sometimes I would still "go" in the morning (my anxiety breaks through the immodium), it would not be as spastic, just regular bms. Then you can take more in the morning if you need to. I also eat oatmeal (like a 1/4-1/2 packet instant) with some acacia an hour or so before I leave. I feel like this helps "absorb" the water in my bowel. Heather suggests a supplement like fibercon for d if you don't have acacia. When I tried it, I still had bms but at least they were formed and not d. It's awful when you have to go somewhere early. Perhaps you can get up super early to leave time to "get it out." On the other hand, sometimes all that waiting makes me crazy so it might be better if you got up, got ready, tried not to think about it, and hit the road. Are you driving with this person? If you're by yourself, bring t.p. and a portable kids' potty. (We do what we have to do!) And I agree...I have a friend who has trouble needing to pee often and she just tells everyone she has an issue and may need to leave quickly from a meeting. I have also used the excuse amongst women that I just got my period that morning and that it sends my belly into swirls. All women can probably relate. Just saying something and putting it out there on the table usually calms me down knowing that I have an "out." I also take an AD and prior to big events I have been taking klonopin to calm myself only if I have to...you might want to talk to your doc about it. BUt try to attack the diet part first. I also suggest doing yoga the evening before to get relaxed. Good luck and let us know how it goes. My thoughts are with you! REmember eat safe for two days and you can do it!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Yup. I occasionally take a dose at night before I go to bed if I'm not feeling stable. n/t new
      #318068 - 11/06/07 11:10 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

It works for me.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#318077 - 11/06/07 01:14 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Line 415...where are you in NJ? I am in central NJ near the shore.

Thanks for your advice. I feel better too when I let someone know I have IBS or stomach issues. It takes the pressure off for me. I am riding with my husband who obviously knows I have stomach issues but also with my son's teacher who doesn't know. And the conference is on anxiety disorders...my son (6) has what we think "selective mutism" an anxiety disorder. I just find it ironic I'm going to this type of conference when anxiety is the main cause of my IBS stuff.

I have started eating safely today (still so rumbly, no D but lots of going). Hopefully by Friday I'll feel better and be extra careful. I don't care if I'm a little C for a day or so after taking imodium. It will be worth it to have a normal day.
Thanks again and to all of the responses!
Sandy

#318116 - 11/06/07 07:27 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. I'm in central Jersey too...used to live in north Jersey. (You can email me if you want more specifics- checkl@comcast.net.) Good luck with your son's meeting. I am a special education teacher but I have not had any direct experiences wtih selective mutism. If you don't want to talk about the IBS, I would say something like, "Mr/Mrs.____, please don't mind me should we need to stop for a restroom. My stomach is a bit uneasy today for 'womanly' reasons if you know what I mean." Be casual and confident when you say it. I think that other people put less emphasis on our issues than we do. And I was going to mention the C for a few days after the immodium. Yeah, it may be painful if you can't go for awhile but I always feel the same way...I'd rather have a successful day and then suffer later in the week with c. I just did that for Halloween. Also, I love the day after taking the immodium! I feel like I could conquer the world b/c I don't have to worry about d and I don't have c yet! lol...not a good pattern to get in though...IBS-A...been there and not pleasant either. Have you considered the hypno cds? I did one round with some success. Hang in there...you can do it!!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Yes, many times. - nt - new
      #318164 - 11/07/07 01:42 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17437

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review