All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chlorine in water
      #317948 - 11/05/07 02:58 AM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Lately here I can smell the chlorine in the tap water I'm drinking (can't afford a filter, don't like all the plastic manufacture/waste of bottled). For the past week or more I have had bad C, although I've not changed my diet.

Now I'm wondering if the chlorine could be a factor... anyone ever had this problem?

Does anyone know if boiling water gets rid of it? The smell seems to dissipate fairly quickly and I think it's worse out of the warm tap but I hate drinking cold water!!

Any insight would be much appreciated! Even if just to say, no Jodie, you're barking up the wrong tree....

Jodie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chlorine in water new
      #318099 - 11/06/07 03:47 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey Jodie,
I can't drink water straight from the tap either. I have a Brita in my fridge. It reduces chlorine. If you can't afford a filter jug or on-tap, you can sit your water out at room temperature over 24 hours and the chlorine will dissapate. I do it for my aquarium so I don't think it would be any different for human consumption. And yes, boiling it reduces stuff too, but it takes very flat after. I only drink boiled water at work if I run out of my bottle I bring daily from the water jug at home.

Good luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#318103 - 11/06/07 04:19 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Thanks Cassandra. I'm sure when you can smell the chlorine it's not good for people with "delicate" digestion! Might have to look at getting a jug; I've had a big pot of boiled water on the stove for a couple of days and ladling it out to drink... people think I'm mad...!!! Thanks for the tip.

Jodie

#318108 - 11/06/07 06:14 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Should we be concerned then that sucralose (Splenda) is basically chlorinated table sugar?

Kim new
      #318109 - 11/06/07 06:18 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

YES! Be concerned, especially because artificial sweeteners reek havoc on IBS. Splenda, Equal, Sugar Twin (aspertine, sucrulose) (I can't spell tonight!:)- they're all EVIL!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#318112 - 11/06/07 06:57 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

I, too, use a Britta filter pitcher, and consider it one of my best purchases for IBS. I live in a city, so I'm a little leary of drinking it, particularly with my stomach issues. So, in my mind, it is totally worth the money considering that it can be refilled and used over and over again to purify your tap water. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3575 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1574

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review