All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DISABILITY
      #317894 - 11/03/07 05:10 PM

Unregistered

Hi all! I recall reading a post regarding disability-someone took a few months off and received disability benefits. Can anyone remember who that was? I'm about to lose my job, boss called me in and said if by end of month I can't go out to see customers and perform up to par I'm out. I'm wanting to maximize the benefits of this crazy situaton and Social Security Office in NY claims unless I'm completely disabled I wouldn't be eligible. Is this a State decision or Federal? And Does anyone have advice for me? Thank you all.
hugs,
Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: DISABILITY new
      #317897 - 11/03/07 06:28 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

im sorry to hear about your situation......is your IBS causing this issue at work? if so, i think that might be discrimination...obviously your boss has a business to run but i think there might be some protection for people who have medical issues....ie can he reassign you to other types of jobs until your ibs settles down? Also, does your employer offer short term/long term disability insurance? My company offers 50% of salary and then I pay extra to get 70%....you can also then apply for social security benefits but not sure what the state /govt requires.....good luck and hang in there

#317907 - 11/03/07 09:24 PM

Unregistered

Mhillqt
thank you. The IBS is causing this situation. I'm too traumatized to go out to see customers, the upcoming meeting is taking place in MD, i'd have to travel with a Co-worker and I'm just not ready yet to carpool for such a long drive. Technically, they could re-assign me to a different territory, one that doesn't have some pressing deal which requires a visit to customer right now (we're primarily inside sales), that is if some other sales person wants to switch with me. But it doesn't look like they're offering that and although the business is over 40 years old and has grown in leaps and bounds, they still operate towards the sales staff like a mom & pop business and they don't offer anything. They just recently started paying 50% of employees med insurance, but that's it. No stock options, nothing.
I'll ask about disability insurance, but I doubt it.
I'm trying to reach my doctor about getting a letter stating I'm unable to work for a while & hoping this would help me get benefits through Social Security. I'll keep researching, and I'll hang in there...I'm trying to do relaxing techniques...It's working.
Sarah

#317914 - 11/04/07 05:10 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Sarah,

Sorry your not felling well. I was just out for 8 weeks on a medical leave for IBS and trying to get off a AD to get preggo. It got to the point where I wasnt sleeping and living in the bathroom. I am back now over a month and doing alot better. I came across this site while out and started heathers diet the weekend before I went back. But I think what helped me was the time off and learning how much the AD help me and my belly. And now I am taking prilosec for the heartburn and back on the Zoloft. I wounded up in the hospital and they did some tests. Not that I didnt have a endo scope ect before. Anyways, my BBF is the controller of my co. I to am in inside dental sales. Left outside 5 yrs ago because the IBS was just to hard traveling. She saw me getting drained my the day. So she recomended I talk to my boss about my options. HAve you been to your primary medical doctor recently? well get there THIS week. Because he can write you a letter stating due to your IBS you cant preform right now your normal duties. Travel ect.. Also, there is something called FMLA family medical leave which protects your job for up to 12 weeks due to illness. Your doc can fill that out for you. Basically, if your boss doesnt agree to a medical leave to get you back to better health or another job for right now.. Then you could actually SUE him!! But you have to be upfront and honest and explain WHY and how the IBS effects you. As far as disability goes, I had short term so I was covered by that. My doc and GI had to fill out these forms but I was approved.

Also, if you having so much pain perhaps you speak to HR about your "options".

I hear if you need to talk:) My boss was really cool so your never know. However I am the #2 salesperson so he said he needs me well to kick butt.

Deb

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#317944 - 11/04/07 08:39 PM

Unregistered

Deb, thanks so much for this information.
My primary doc is also a GI and he's the one who just didn't diagnose me and left me hanging for about 4 years. Actually he left me hanging forever, because had I not pursued another doctor I'd still be, tearing my hair out and not know if I should scream or cry.
But I will try to get a letter from him. I already left a message with my new GI that I need one. I'm hoping to hear back from his office soon.
I guess Im supposed to request another meeting and show them the letters and see what they say?
I'll check out FMLA and company disability.
I'm not in pain, thank God. Severe pains left when I went off dairy, after being tested positive to allergy to casein about 6 months ago (by my chiropractor/nutritionist). Just still not comfortable with my bathroom going, still going too often, still bloated. I already have "livable" days but I don't yet trust it enough to travel for 3 hours and then have to face a customer for an hour or two. I'm traumatized from past experiences and I'm having a hard time forcing myself to endure the agony of needing to run and stuck in a meeting or in a car.
Lucky for you, your boss values your work. Unfortunately, although when I spoke to the owner he told me that they expect me to finish in the top 3 in sales this year, their mentality is that everyone is replaceable. It's an attitude and nothing and noone can change them. They just made a drastic change in our department and they will be requiring inside sales to travel to see customers. All this developed just as I reached a point of not being able to endure my condition, was diagnosed, and realize that I have to take time off and do not want to force myself to be under mental, emotional or physical stress anymore. This is what we call "life". Wrong circumstance in the wrong place. Or better yet, maybe this is all for the good and a change will be better for me.
But, I will sue if it comes to that. I'm angry enough.
Again, thank you for your very helpful info.
btw, what does HR stand for?
Sarah

#317950 - 11/05/07 05:19 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Sarah, I agree that you need to check into FMLA , if only to keep your job, but it is 12 weeks of UNPAID leave and it is effective only if your company has 50+ employees. As for the disability I cannot speak as far as IBS is concerned but I can tell you that a few years ago when my Dad, who had emphasema, got so bad he tried to get diability and was denied. He finally had to get a lawyer to get the benefits, but that was about two years after he started the process. From all I have heard, it is a long and drawn out process.
Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

#317957 - 11/05/07 06:41 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Sarah,

If you need some extra support now we can talk offline. I am not sure were you are from? I am on the east coast suburbs of philly. Sales is a tricky situation and I deal with this lump in my stomach everytime I have to fly to a national sales meeting or are our annual session. The last confrence my husband came so that helped. As people want to go out and party afterwards and I cant drink or eat pizza, steaks. Everyone at my last company thought I was a snob. But just standing 10 hours and not eating well killed me by the end of the day....

Anyways, I had to bypass my primary since he was only telling me to take pepcid. I went to several of differnt GI while out. Until I found this female doctor that specials in IBS. Of course she didnt give me a diet ect..

But start making your own case documentation file. Do you have emails or pink slips written up for attendance or whatever his problem is with you? HR is Human resources.. I am not sure your company has one since they are so small?

Perhaps, you really need to re evaluate your job. Do you even love it there? Or is the stress there making you more anxious and giving you more IBS?

Deb

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#317977 - 11/05/07 11:56 AM

Unregistered

Hi Sarah,
What a terrible situation, I feel so bad for you. Being stuck in a car for that long is really a nightmare for someone with IBS....what kind of work do you do? Is it possible to find another job or something similar that you can do on-line from work or home? Please keep us posted. Good luck to you.

#318024 - 11/05/07 06:04 PM

Unregistered

jhuggs, boy do I love you guys. So special of you to really care. I'm in sales, until now it was an inside sales position, but they just changed their policy and are going to require all inside sales staff to travel & see customers. It's been tough these last few weeks. The stress of the whole thing is DEFINITELY not helping. I can't even sit in at a stupid 45 min meeting, I start hyperventilating just thinking of it. I'm about to sit down and write my doctor's note (secretary asked me to write it and send it to her and she'll edit and have the doctor sign it.) So at least I'm past being frozen with fear, and I'm actually taking action to protect myself.
There is a silver lining though in this whole picture. My children are 19 and 21. So at this point, if I am on unemployment for a while they will be able to take care of themselves, although I would love to still be able to help them financially. The other interesting thing about all this, especially after reading in Heather's book 1st year with IBS where she talks about relocating for better weather, is that I've been thinking about moving to Israel for a while now, but been hesitating because I reckon I'll go way down in salary with any job over there, although the lifestyle there is on a lower scale so one doesn't need as much dough there as here in NY. This situation is really pushing me to think more seriously about why I want to move (weather is one reason, there are areas there that never experience humidity, just dry heat and cool clear air)and I might just take the plunge, and risk it. In addition, my daughter who has been studying in Israel for over a year now, told me that she wants to settle there. So maybe all of this is a God send, pushing me to a place that will ultimately be better for me. My friends tell me day to day life there is simpler, happier and less stressful. I'm about ready to believe them and leave this place behind. Today I spent a big portion of it in the bathroom. I know that working in an environment with a manager and boss who couldnt care less about my wellbeing is just simply not healthy for me. It's toxic. So, again, thank you for being so supportive and I will keep you posted.
hugs
xoxox
Sarah

#318025 - 11/05/07 06:37 PM

Unregistered

Deb,
Hi, I'm in Rockland County, North of New York City.
And right, we don't have an HR department. I don't know if its because its a small company or because its the way they like it, if you know what I mean. Can't complain to the boss about the boss, right?
I can start writing up a case, but it'd just be my word against his and he's God in the owners' eyes. There is nothing ever in writing in this place, again, they do this on purpose. Since they changed inside into part outside, they divided up the States and handed out territory to each sales person whereas before the calls were handed out by rotation. I was given the honor of having #1 choice to choose a territory, although I am not the most senior salesperson. But none of this matters to them. They see me now as a liability and that doesnt sit well with them. I have no inherent value there, other than, WHAT IS SHE PRODUCING TODAY! NOW! In fact I had a little conversation with my manager, he called me into his office and said to me "we cant just let you off the hook indefinitely" I answered him that I will be taking time off-10 days towards the end of the month to help me get better quicker and that when I come back I hope to know where I stand as far as being able to travel and sit at meetings. He said that sounds fair. He then went and told the owner that Sarah told him that she will either be up to par at the end of December or she will hand in her resignation. Now, granted, I might have led him to believe that, but, if he truly thought that this was my intention, what kind of manager hears his employee of 8 years speaking this way, and doesn't talk to her about the rediculousness of such a choice. And how can he report back to the owners that I might be handing in my resignation?! What kind of manager doesn't then advise his employee not to do a thing like that and to wait until fired if necessary so as to at least be eligible to collect unemployment?! I am weak now, and I'm not myself, and I realize I said something stupid, but I am aghast at his behavior, like he's happy to be able to report back to his superiors that this employee will definitely not be a liability to the company. We have it made. We'll just hire another salesperson. My God!
So to answer your question, I like being in sales, I enjoy talking to people and closing a big or even small deal, if I was able to accomplish getting the customer what they need and making money for the company and me. But I never liked the owners and manager's style. I'm told it's not better elsewhere, but I wouldnt know, and I don't like the way they run their business. And now that the beast is after me, I know that it's making my IBS worse, or at the very least hindering my healing process. If they would just let me be for a while and not put pressure on me to travel and attend those stupid meetings, I believe I'd get to a place of eventually being able to travel and do most things others do comfortably. I already see progess in that I went to 2 stores this past Sunday and felt no pressure to hurry through and get out asap. I was relaxed while doing my shopping and didnt need the bathroom once. But then I go back to work on Monday, and boom, I'm in the bathroom 4,5,6 times. As I wrote back to Jhuggs, I am considering making a major change in my life, moving overseas, and I pray this is a good thing. I'm taking one day at a time. I know better and bigger things await me.
Deb, thanks for being there. I'm off to do my yoga and maybe a hot bath. Hot bath calms my tummy.
Sarah

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1778 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4864

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review