All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: did anyone get D from switching to the fructose malabsorption diet? new
      #318244 - 11/08/07 08:35 PM
FLK

Reged: 11/01/07
Loc: USA

I didn't get D, but I was kinda C and D. I assumed it was because I wasn't eating enough fiber. I bought spinach today, and ate it, and it went down okay so far. I thought I was okay yesterday, and I have also been following it since Monday, but my stomach started making noises, which was part of my problem before. I don't know if fruc. mal. is my problem. Maybe it is just that some of the fruits bother me. I wish I could find out what it is, so I can just eliminate it from my diet. I am getting so frustrated, and I don't even want to eat anymore. I actually felt okay after dinner tonight though, but I am afraid that I will feel sick again tomorrow. I bought lactaid milk because I thought that it might be the soy milk causing the problems, and the lactaid didn't seem to bother me when I had it for dinner. So you aren't having any luck with the diet either? What have you been eating?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#318245 - 11/09/07 02:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Try keeping your SF high, your IF low and you fat intake low.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#318248 - 11/09/07 05:33 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

oatmeal for breakfast
banana for snack
rice and chicken for lunch
half of an orange for a snack
rice and chicken or turkey for dinner last night i had some squash and mushrooms with it.. but just a few because i have no idea if they are safe
and a few chunks of pineapple or a few blueberries for desert

what are some good sources of SF that are fructose-diet-friendly?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#318278 - 11/09/07 02:31 PM
Syl

Heather gives a list of SF foods generally suitable for IBSers. I don't eat the applesauce, mango, papayas, soy, mushrooms, rutabagas or turnips either because the IF or the excess fructose give me problems. Also I can eat some varities of pumpkin and squash while other varieties contain too much excess fructose or IF for me. Generally speaking acorn squash seems to be okay while spaghetti squash is a problem. Finally, I limit my consumption of wheat based products such as pasta, bread, crackers, buns, etc to less than the equivalent of 4 slices of bread per day. You may find you have to reduce it even further.

While berries and pineapple are on the okay list of fruits for fructose malabsorbers, I find that I have to be very careful how I eat them because alone they contain more IF than SF. Eaten alone they give me serious discomfort. I can tolerate a tablespoon or two of berries with my oatmeal but anymore and I begin to feel discomfort the next day.

I hope this helps

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Discomfort meaning...gas? What is main symptom of fructose sensitivity? new
      #318296 - 11/09/07 09:20 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm sorry...I'm trying to make sense of all of this since I never really analyzed my diet in this direction before. My only problematic symtom currently is gas. On occassion I think it might be b/c I have not had a bm that day but for the most part I am "regular." I'm suspecting WW products too but it is so hard to tell b/c the gas comes at such varying times. Two days ago for example I had a turkey burger (made myself) with some onions in it. No surprise that the next day I had major gas but then the irony is that after I ate dinner which was Chinese food...white rice and steamed chicken with veggies (mostly very soft broccoli), the gas went away! And no gas today either as a residual! What do you make of that??

I did not have any fruit yesterday but today I had whole grain cereal and two slices of cantaloupe (not at the same time) and I only had minimal gas this afternoon. Wouldn't more be expected? I have eaten applesauce with and without HFCS without a problem (unless it's possible that it came more that 24 hours later)but I could eat a skinless apple or a bite of peanut butter and have gas almost immediately. Any light anyone could shed would be appreciated. I am so frustrated that perhaps I am looking toward fructose and/or wheat/gluten b/c I want an answer to know what to eliminate when in reality maybe it is just the plain IBS being temperamental??? Also, does anyone get gassy from NOT EATING? I wonder too if that sometimes happens to me later afternoon when I have forgotten to have a snack?? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Discomfort meaning...gas? What is main symptom of fructose sensitivity? new
      #318299 - 11/09/07 09:45 PM
FLK

I am the same way! I just want it to be something so it isn't everything, and I do get gas when I don't eat anything too. Gas is my main problem, but I also think it is from when I haven't gone to the bathroom, which makes me think that I may be IBS-C. The apple with peanut butter could also be caused by the peanut butter if you are okay with eating applesauce, since that is also peeled apples. I recenlty read that some nuts can act like laxatives, which could also cause gas, since it would be causing spasms. I searched on it after I felt sick after eating pistachios. I decided that I am just going to make a list of the foods that I can eat because I haven't really felt any better after following the fructose malabsorption diet. By WW, do you mean weight watchers or whole wheat? If it is weight watchers that may be because since they are lower fat, etc., they have some other chemicals added in to make them taste good, which is most likely something that your body isn't meant to digest. I am also wondering if I can't handle wheat. I had the blood test for celiacs and it was negative, so I guess I don't have that, but I wonder if it is wheat. I am going to try eating wheat after a while of avoiding it, which I'm not right now. Well, let me know how everything works for you.

Typical symptoms new
      #318302 - 11/10/07 04:41 AM
Syl

A good description of the symptoms are given in the articles given in this message.

The typical symptoms of fructose sensitivity are the same as any functional gut disorder. These disorders have been classified into entities such as "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS), "functional diarrhea," "functional bloating," and "functional dyspepsia" according to the symptom complex. While the definition of such syndromes is useful in the design of clinical trials, they are somewhat artificial as their overlap is considerable and they are all believed to involve similar mechanisms of visceral hypersensitivity and disorders of the gut-brain axis. Functional gut disorder symptoms include such things as bloating, abdominal distension, discomfort, pain, and altered bowel habits.

Studies in which fructose loads are given to people with fructose malabsorption induce gas, bloating, abdominal discomfort, nausea, and disturbed bowel function much more readily in subjects with IBS than in those without it.

In summary, symptoms from a variety of functional gut disorders can overlap significantly. The only way to determine if fructose sensitivity is part of your IBS functional gut disorder complex is to eliminate high fructose foods and other short chained carbohydrates sorbitol and lactose from your diet for a few weeks and see if your symptoms improve. If they do then you have another tool to manage your IBS. If they don't then you move on to trying other management approaches.

--------------------

The diet new
      #318305 - 11/10/07 05:46 AM
Syl

If you have been eating wheat without limiting or eliminating it while trying the fructose malabsorption diet then you have not been following the diet properly.

Wheat contains fructans which are molecules made up of chains of fructose molecules linked together. All mammals including humans are incapable of digesting these molecules. They pass through to the large bowel where the bacteria in the bowel ferment them. They can cause gas, bloating and altered bowel habits. For example, soluble fiber supplements that contain inulin or FOS which are fructans are known to cause problems for many IBS suffers. Heather talks about inulin on this web page

It appears that while some people may not be sensitive to the excess fructose in fruits they may have problems with the fructans in wheats and vegetables like artichokes, asparagus, onions and garlic. You have to follow the diet closely in order to determine if you truely are fructose sensitive.

By the way - nuts are high in IF and like many high IF foods they can cause gas, bloating and act as a laxative. If you are going to eat nuts then it is wise to grind them up fine and eat them sparingly with a good SF base.

--------------------

Re: The diet new
      #318310 - 11/10/07 07:36 AM
FLK

I haven't been eating wheat, and I have been following the diet according to all of the charts and articles that you posted. I just meant that since the wheat is also eliminated from my diet, that that could also be my problem. I think that maybe it hasn't made me feel better yet because of the nuts or maybe I haven't given it enough time. Thank you for the advice on the nuts. I will try that. I think that I probably ate too many anyway.

Re: The diet - breakfast? new
      #318311 - 11/10/07 08:30 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

what do you all (fructose observant people) eat for breakfast? i have been eating steel cut oatmeal all week and i'm pretty sick of it. i made a bunch of it in a crockpot and put it in small tupperware containers. I add a little bit of brown sugar so it doesn't has such a bland taste but I'm sick of it. And the consitancy, i guess of refridgerating and reheating is enough to make me gag! Any other breakfast ideas?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1976 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63492

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review