All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: fructose malabsorption diet new
      #317990 - 11/05/07 01:21 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

Quote:

I am a fructose malabsorber. Here are a couple of links that contain dietary information that I use.

Malabsorption of Fructose and Other Short-chain Carbohydrates
Fructose Malabsorption and Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Guidelines for Effective Dietary Management
Dietary fructose and GI symptoms: A review

The best list of fruits to eat the ones listed under favourable foods in Table 2 of the second reference. However, you have to be careful of stone fruit that contains sorbitol. I eat bananas, kiwi and some berries. These articles are quite technical. If you have any question please ask and I will try to answer your questions.

Good Luck

in the 2nd article as everything else ive seen, i only see tables with what you cannot eat.. not what you can.. is there a list of things that can be eaten?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#317996 - 11/05/07 01:35 PM
Pud

what do sulphites do? and why do we need to avoid them?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#317999 - 11/05/07 01:39 PM
Pud

Quote:

Sweet potatoes are fine and peeled white potatoes in moderation are fine.

this really confuses me... sweet potatoes are sweet... i dont see why they would be ok... aren't they high in sugar?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#318004 - 11/05/07 01:49 PM
Pud

""instead of starting a new one. It gets too confusing. I will answer you questions in a thread that had already been started.""

"
are eggs ok???

i need to go to the grocery store and i have no freakin clue about what i can and cannot buy...

i have steel cut oats, i know i can buy chicken, potatoes and sweet potatoes, bananas and rice... what the hell else?"

please help!! i am hungry and need to eat something!!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

Things you can eat new
      #318008 - 11/05/07 02:02 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Pud, if it is not on Heather's do not eat list and it is not listed in one of the tables then you should be able eat it. However, that does not mean these foods are safe for you. Only you can know the anwer to that question.

Start by buying and reading OR re-reading Heather's books and the general information on her web site . It appears from some of the questions you are asking that you haven't grasp tbe basic EFI diet yet. Egg whites are on Heather's ok list but egg yolks are not.

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Things you can eat new
      #318010 - 11/05/07 02:08 PM
Pud

everytime i look at an article or read a book i just get more and more confused! i just can't seem to concentrate on it no matter how hard i try! i am hungry and don't know how much more rice i can eat!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#318017 - 11/05/07 03:42 PM
FLK

Reged: 11/01/07
Loc: USA

I posted this website yesterday: http://john.toebes.com/diet.htm
This gives you a lot of what you can eat, but it is for fructose intolerance, which is a lot more serious than fructose malabsorption. I also don't know how accurate it is, and you still have to compare it to what Heather has already listed on this website and in her book. Also, I think that people with fructose intolerance can't have any fructose, which includes all fruit, but people with fructose malabsorption can still have bananas, berries, and kiwis. I printed the list out, and hung it on my fridge, and I went through and highlighted the things that are also okay on Heather's diet, and I also cut all of the charts out of the other articles that Syl posted earlier. You have to look at the comparison of the fructose and glucose content of the foods to see which ones have greater or equal to glucose, and those are the ones you can eat. You have to do a lot of cross referencing. I also made a list of the foods that I can eat and a list of what I can't eat, and I wrote it on a dry erase board, so it is on my fridge and all in one place, so I don't have to look through a lot of sheets to find what I can eat. Also, I would recommend getting organic or natural foods if it is in your budget because processed foods contain a lot of preservatives and chemicals that our bodies weren't made to digest. That could contribute to some of the problems also. For example, the turkey probably has a lot of stuff in it that is really hard on your body. I hope this helps a little.

#318021 - 11/05/07 05:37 PM
FLK

Reged: 11/01/07
Loc: USA

I was wondering how you cook your potatoes. Tonight I used 1/2 tsp olive oil, and some spices. I also like mashed potatoes, but I don't think my body will digest gravy very well and that is how I like them. I am just looking for some other ideas so I don't have to eat the same thing every day. Also, do you eat mushrooms and avocado? I just sauteed the mushrooms, but I just ate the avocado plain because I wasn't really sure what to do with it. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks. I followed the fructose malabsorption diet today, and I can already tell the difference. Everything wasn't perfect, but I will try to see if I ate something that I shouldn't have. I started writing everything down and how I feel after I eat it. Thank you for all of the information and the articles.

#318035 - 11/06/07 05:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I make potatoes a variety of ways. My favorite is mashed potatoes. I mash them with a hand mixer and I add about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. If the potatoes need a little moisture I add a small amount of water. I like gravy too and some times I make gravy from the chicken drippings. However, I remove all of the fat first. The thing I like is to finely slice some Golden Yukon potatoes and lightly fry them in a small amount of olive oil. After they are browned on both sides a bit I cover them and let the steam finish the cooking. Boiled peeled potatoes with a bit of olive oil is nice too.

Contary to what Heather has published on the web site mushrooms are high in IF. They give me problems. Similarly avocado gives me D, not sure why, but I don't eat them. It could be the fat content.

Good luck with the diet

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#318037 - 11/06/07 05:55 AM
Pud

I added a little vanilla rice milk to the steel cut oatmeal.. i know it has sugar in it.. 12 g... however the oatmeal by itself is way too bland... is this ok?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3310 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63899

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review