All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: fructose malabsorption diet new
      #317939 - 11/04/07 06:54 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

homemade wine? how do you do that?
how do you know if its fortified?
i know alcohol isnt safe but sometimes it doesnt bother me...

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#317940 - 11/04/07 07:13 PM
Pud

oh and what about non-alcoholic beverages? i am guessing sitting down to a glass of fresh squeezed oj is out of the case... as is milk and coffee and a nice chai latte but water could get rather boring.. what about crystal light or something?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#317949 - 11/05/07 05:19 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am not sure about the fuzzy head notion. This idea appears to have propagated on the Web from the Wiki discussion about fructose malabsorption. The only thing I have found in the research literature are a couple if papers that show that fructose malabsorption appears to promote the onset of depression and depression can result in a fuzzy head, difficulty concentrating and dizziness.

I know what you mean about pizza and rice. I have been in many situations where friends and colleagues order wonderful meals and I order a grilled chicken breast and rice. However, not having to deal with the subsequent pain, etc makes life much easier

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#317951 - 11/05/07 05:26 AM
Syl

I buy 22 liter pails of grape juice. I open the pail and stir the juice, I put a small hole in the lid, I replace the lid and insert an air lock in the hole. I let the juice ferment at room temperature for 3 weeks. Next I place the pail in a cool place (50-60 F) for 6-8 months and then bottle and drink The difficult part is waiting until the wine is ready

Wine that is fortified usually has a note on the label indicating that it is fortified. Port, sherry maderia, etc are usually fortified. If it tastes sweet then it is likely fortified

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#317952 - 11/05/07 05:34 AM
Syl

Many non-alcholic beverages contain HFCS - you have to read the label I drink sparkling water (i.e. carbonated water). Be careful of crystal light - it can contain sucralose and/or aspartame.

Sorry - no OJ, milk, coffee or tea. Also, my general rule of thumb is that if I cannot see the label to read what the ingredients are I don't eat or drink the food. This helps me stay way from foods that give me problems.

--------------------

#317953 - 11/05/07 05:56 AM
Pud

what about white wines?

i'd like to try this... what do you plug up the whole with? any specific brand you use?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#317954 - 11/05/07 06:07 AM
Pud

how many grams of sugar is ok for an item to be eaten.. i love love love trader joes turkey jerky but they add sugar. For a 1oz serving there is 5 grams of sugar. It has 0 grams of fat and 6 grams of carbs. 11 grams of protein. I'm thinking that is probably too high ? The ingredients are turkey, sugar, water, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, salt, flavorings, paprika, natural smoke flavoring and caramel color. I know soy sauce has wheat but is it really enough to make you sick? I know with celiacs it is, but what about for this diet?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#317955 - 11/05/07 06:23 AM
Syl

White wine oxidizes quickly. You have to let is sit in a carboy instead of in the pail.

I fill the hole with the air-lock stuck in a rubber plug with a hole in it. Here is a picture. If you go to any wine or beer making store they can give you the information. However, be careful they may try to sell you all kinds of other neat things too

--------------------

#317956 - 11/05/07 06:28 AM
Syl

It is the soybeans in soy sauce they give me problems not the wheat I think it is reasonable to consume a 3-4 tablespoons of white or brown sugar each day with little effect. However, you will have to figure out your own limit. A tablespoon of sugar weighs about 12 grams.

--------------------

#317961 - 11/05/07 07:03 AM
Pud

ok so the turkey jerky might be ok... i'll try it after a week or so and see what happens.. how long should it take for symptoms to go away? right now i'm eating steel cut oatmeal and i added a tiny bit of brown sugar... for lunch i plan on grilled chicken and rice... dinner.. still up in the air...

any coldcuts ok?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1562 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63584

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review