All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
possible gallbladder surgery
      #317583 - 10/28/07 07:05 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Hi! I realize this may not be the best board for posting this question, but I only received one response on the Liveing Room board, so I thought I'd try it here.
I was diagnosed with IBS at 19 and have had problems off and on through the years. I am now 50. Over the past year and a half I have had a major recurrence to include epigastric pain, nausea and waking at night with the pain and nausea - then vomiting and being miserable for hours. I've had all the usual tests and don't have gallstones. I just had a HIDA scan showing that my gallbladder was working at 1/3 what it should, which would be a reason to have it removed. Both my GI doc and my family doc were less than enthusiastic about the results, though, because the test didn't recreate the severity of pain and nausea that I usually have with an "attack". My GI doc has said that he's seen so many people with IBS have their gallbadder removed and it doesn't help. I was actually relieved when I found out that my gallbladder wasn't working properly, thinking that at least some of my problems could be resolved. I know I will still have "issues" with IBS but was hoping for some relief. Now I don't know what to do. I have lost weight and can't eat much at all anymore since almost everything bothers me. I have tried loosely following Heather's diet, but when I have an attack I feel crappy for up to a week and can't eat or even drink water.

Anyone out there have any experiences with any of this or have any advice? Wednesday I have a consult with a surgeon to talk about the surgery - just want to see what he has to say. Sorry this is so long - any responses would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't think upper GI problems were necessarily an IBS thing, except for maybe a little nausea. I am IBS - C mostly. After reading some of your posts I don't seem to have as much of a problem generally speaking as most people on the boards, but am at wits end with this current problem.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: possible gallbladder surgery new
      #317603 - 10/28/07 05:41 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there. I just wanted to share with you my story since it sounds somewhat similar. I suffered with IBS since I was 14 (I'm now 24) and about 2 years ago it got horrible. I had nausea, horrible pains in my side and a general feeling of sickness. No doctos could find anything wrong. Tests were normal...etc... But then, one LOVELY doctor did a HIDA scan. During the test, I certainly got the nausea, it only lasted a minute or so and was followed by cramping for another minute or two. The HIDA scan results said I was functioning at 6%...so we knew that wasn't good. I met with a surgeon who told me it needed to come out. Even if it looked normal on an ultrasound, if it isn't functioning, he believed it would cause more harm that good.
I got it removed 2 years ago and ALL of those symptoms are GONE. I still have IBS and a sensitive stomach, but the nausea and pain are gone from my life. THe surgery itelf wasn't too bad. It took a while to recover, but I really think that surgery gave me back my life! and p.s. I was an IBS-C before the surgery. Boy was everyday a struggle for me. Since diarrea can be a side effect of gallbladder surgery, I was worried. However, it did make me more of an IBS-A. I don't get diarrea attacks often, but I do have more regular BMs--which is a BIG plus for me!Good luck to you and let me know if you have any more specific questions!

--------------------
IBS-A

#317605 - 10/28/07 06:52 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

You're info is very helpful. I'm actually going in tomorrow morning for the HIDA scan. I'm really hoping that they figure out what's going on. My IBS is pretty much under control, daily BMs and not much gas, but I still have a lot of pain. I also went to a holistic doc on Friday who is testing my stool and doing a few blood tests. Crossing my fingers for some answers.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#317606 - 10/28/07 07:01 PM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

My story is similar, I had my gallbladder out about five years ago, but unlike all of you I did not have IBS before that. I had nasuea and could barely eat, I threw up so much that my nose and throat bled. After the gallbladder came out I felt much better and then last year was diagnosed with IBS. My doctor actually thinks that the fact that I went six months with the pain and naseau of the gallbladder, because all they saw was sludge not stones so they brushed that off as the reason, contributed to the IBS. I also started having panic attacks about three years ago and combined with a sensative stomach that I have always had gave me a full blown case of IBS. ctually, I had a therapist tell me that if I can relax and together with my diet changes I have a very good chance of controlling my IBS. But stress is my middle name right now. One thing that has happened since my gallbladder was removed is more D immediately after and I discovered that I could not eat foods I once ate. But the pain and naseau went away after a week or two and the surgery pain was extrememly bearable.

Thanks so much... new
      #317637 - 10/29/07 04:45 PM
pixiegoddess

...for the responses. I think I will go ahead with the surgery, because I figure that's the only way I'll know if it will help or not. I have a gut feeling(no pun intended!) that the pain and nausea are mostly due to the gallbladder problem. Mine was at 11% so not real good. I have a consult with a surgeon on Wednesday, so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you updated and thanks again for your input!

Re: Thanks so much... new
      #317638 - 10/29/07 05:52 PM
blackrvn5

Had my scan today and it is working at 10%. I meet with the surgeon next week. I actually smiled today knowing there really is a reason for my pain. I guess we'll go through the surgery together. Good luck to you.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#317641 - 10/30/07 03:56 AM
pixiegoddess

Good luck! We'll have to trade notes on our outcomes. How did you react during the test? I think that was part of why my docs were sceptical - I didn't have a really bad reaction. I did feel some pain and cramping and slight nausea, but nothing like when I have an "attack". My thought is that if my gallbladder is only working at 11% then it's gotta be causing some problems.

Anyway, good luck with everything and let me know how things go!

#317648 - 10/30/07 08:00 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I had my gallbladder removed 9 years ago, but I had gallstones and not IBS. I didn't get IBS symptoms until a year or so ago. However, the cramping and pain I did have with the gallstones disappeared once I had it removed. I had the laparoscopic surgery (where they only make small incisions), so I only spent one night in the hospital.

Overall, the experience was not that bad, and the relief I got from having my gallbladder removed was worth it. The only effect I have had from not having a gallbladder is that I can't eat foods with a lot of oil (a given for IBS anyway), and if I eat too much and get full, I stay full much longer than I used to... I can feel full up until the point that I'm hungry again. So I eat smaller meals and stay away from the greasy stuff. IBS has many more restrictions than that anyway.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

Re: met with the surgeon today new
      #318179 - 11/07/07 04:41 PM
blackrvn5

Well my surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. The doctor I met with was extremely thorough. She's planning to just do the laprascopic surgery but can't completely rule out the other until she's in there. She said it should take away all the pain and is hoping to improve all my symptons about 75%. Might even be able to stop taking my reflux meds daily and use as needed. She even suggested trying cheese again, but I don't think I'll push it too soon. Though would love to have a chunk of colby jack. The rest of my diet wouldn't change since I don't eat meat. Thankfully mom and dad are coming up to help. My daughter has her musical that night, so I'll miss out but since grandma and papa will be here, that should help.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#318202 - 11/08/07 06:59 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Good luck! I hope it helps and wish you a quick recovery!

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#318361 - 11/11/07 05:08 PM
pixiegoddess

Good luck with your surgery! I am having mine on friday, the 16th - on my birthday! Oh well, what better gift could I give myself than the hope of feeling better. We'll have to keep tabs on each other! I'll be thinking of you....

#318383 - 11/12/07 03:00 AM
blackrvn5

Good luck as well! I can only hope this helps. I'm so exhausted right now and hoping feeling better will help with my energy level, too.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8069 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2699

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review