All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
2 days & wondering..
      #317331 - 10/24/07 06:36 PM

Unregistered

Hi all of you wonderful, positive, beautiful people! I'm trying not to get too excited, because of my past experience of disappointment over the last 10 years after trying new things to help myself without success. But it's difficult not to after spending time on this site. I'm thinking & praying that I finally came home!
Question:
Can someone tell me what to expect as far as how long it will take for me to feel better? I'm on end of day 2 and still in trouble. I've been eating only solubles specifically: oatmeal, bananas, rice/corn cereal, fresh white roll, potatoes, & chicken breasts and drinking chamomile & mint (wisotzky) tea & room temp. water.
Am I eating too much variety for a starter or do I need to be more patient?
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 2 days & wondering.. new
      #317333 - 10/24/07 06:46 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Sarah and welcome aboard! Unfortunately, seeing better results is not something that you're going to see from one day to the next (man do I wish that were the case!) Instead, patience is seriously a virtue.

I'm sure you've read through the boards and know what the guidelines for eating are. If I were you, I would invest in Heather's Eating for IBS and the First Year of IBS. Speaking of which, have you had the necessary tests to rule out anything else and KNOW that IBS is what you have?

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#317334 - 10/24/07 06:55 PM

Unregistered

Thank you Wendy for replying.
I'm familiarizing myself with the eating guidelines and I'm waiting (patiently) for my First Year of IBS book & cookbook & teas & the soluble fiber supplement to arrive.
I'm still being tested by my doctor, but after reviewing all the tests I've had over the last 10 years he is pretty convinced I have IBS. He will be doing hopefully (if my insurance covers it)a very newly advanced test (pill that one swallows that takes picture of entire intestines down to the bottom.) & probably a colonoscopy just to rule outanything that others might have missed. So based on his assessment I figure it won't hurt to start treating myself as an IBSer.
So are you saying that sticking to only solubles at first will not necessariily make me feel miraculously better?
Sarah

#317338 - 10/24/07 07:36 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Hi Sara,

It's nice to have another very polite lady on the site. Welcome back. You won't feel better in 2 days. If I have a pretty big attack or ate something like dairy or alcohol, it might take me 2 weeks to get better. Be very patient and it will get better. By the way, are you IBS+D or C? You can make up a signature that states your problem so it will be easier for people to help you with your problem.

Get better.
Tatyana.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#317345 - 10/24/07 08:27 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Welcome Sarah!
I didn't see this in your post but are you a C or a D? I think D people generally have success sooner with this diet. It's easier to stop a diarrhea then get things moving faster. Your diet seems fine, it's all SF so I don't think you're eating too many different foods. This diet should only last a few days (maybe another day or two) until you feel better - less pain and cramps (or ideally no pain and cramps), improvement in D. But if you suffer from constipation it's is essential that you start adding IF (slowly and carefully) so that you can have a BM.
Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#317356 - 10/25/07 03:03 AM

Unregistered

Tatyana,
Thank you for your kind words. I am IBS-D. I am having trouble sitting at work these days (I barely go anywhere else other than work)and I'm on the verge of giving up my job. I'm a single mom and really CANNOT do that. So I was crying and praying to God that this will fix me up NOW. Do you think once I start taking the fiber supplement things will start improving quicker?

#317357 - 10/25/07 03:11 AM

Unregistered

Hi Zarah. Thanks for responding. I am more of a D than a C and I don't really have pain these days (since going off dairy, about half year ago because of food allergy test I took showing I'm allergic to Casein). I am just a relentless-non stop "goer" and I'm barely living. I can barely function anymore and fear I will do something stupid like quit my job (single mom here). I also have a skin condition (little very itchy pimples)which started 3 years ago and no dermotologist was able to diagnose it. Im wondering if this has some connection to IBS and if this'll go away as my IBS gets better. Do you have any knowledge of this?
Thank you much.

#317359 - 10/25/07 05:09 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Sarah, sorry, I don't know anything about the rash. It could be a reaction to food though. Have you been tested for gluten intolerance? I know some people with celiac disease have rash as one of their symptoms.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#317365 - 10/25/07 07:24 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I don't know if you'll see improvements right away--and by right away I mean a day or two--because we're all different as far as our reactions and time it takes to see results. For me what really started the path to a good thing was the Acacia powder. I'm IBS-C but sometimes get D if I screw up and eat something I shouldn't have, or if my anxiety gets the better of me. Also, the fact that I now know what to avoid, how to react to certain symptoms, etc., have been a big help. I don't know where I would've been if it weren't for this site and the great people on it.

So with no further ado, eat well, be patient, and I'm sure you'll start seeing results for the better. And don't worry about how much info a question may have--we're all in the same boat!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#317367 - 10/25/07 07:35 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

You sound like me for about six months before I got on the Heather diet and fiber. I have honestly not had but two "attacks" of D since I started although I have had trouble with gas and bloating that are related to specific foods that I am still determining by trial and error. I think the fiber is an absolute must. Even my Gastro guy said the fiber is necessary although he recommended Metamucil which gave me incredible gas. Try Heather's fiber. It is gentle and wonderful. Start with 1/2 tsp twice a day (I put mine in tea) and build up. I am very D and now use 1 and 1/2 tsp. twice a day. I stick with soluble fiber and when I go for insoluble I make sure it is pureed or cooked to mush. I absolutely do not eat raw--even bananas. Good luck to you and stick with it. I am self employed and have long meetings with clients as well as long days in court and I was beginning to think I would have to retire. Now I am much more comfortable. I ditto the advice to get checked out for other illnesses. It is a must to make sure it is IBS.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5778 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7184

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review