All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
AHHHH SO MUCH PAIN!!!
      #317293 - 10/24/07 02:03 PM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

Advice anyone....So i have been following a modified version of the diet for a few weeks now. ( cant go totally into the diet b/c I get anxiety attacks about eating so many carbs- I know I know I have read the threads and articles but its gonna take time for me)

anyway my modified version has been going ok for the past week until today

last night I had my usual dinner of grilled chicken, cooked green beans and squash

today I had Wheat-free toaster waffles( from trader joes-made of potato starch) with a lil PB and some syrup
(Ive had this the past week and been fine)

then for a snack I had a HANDFUL of rice crispies/and shreaded wheat( thought this was a good SF:IF combo)

Then for lunch I had about 4 bagel chip pieces 1st
then a romanie lettuce salad with balsamic dressing and feta cheese and grilled chicken

then on my walk back to my office from my cafeteria at work I was hit with sharp SHOOTING pains in my lower stomach, like right above my public bone. the pain was so sharp that I had to heel over about three times because I couldnt walk. now that I am back at my office I am passing some gas and feeling a little better

was this just really bad gas pains? any changes I should make?

I am already up to 2 tbls twice a day of heathers fiber, magnesium supplements, and aloe pills and I am lucky if I have one small BM a day.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: AHHHH SO MUCH PAIN!!! new
      #317297 - 10/24/07 03:00 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Ok, there are 3 items from your today's menu that would make me sick:

beans and squash would give me gas
lettuce salad-gas and pain
cheese-i would never eat unless it's soy and in very small ammounts when it's soy

Yesterday I had a salad with chicken, mushrooms, avacado and lettuce and 1/4 of a pickle. I woke up from horrible spazms in my colon. Then I had stabbing pains in my lower abdomen, just like you described.

It makes me very sad that fruits and veggies, nuts and eggs-things that are good for the body, aren't good for us.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#317299 - 10/24/07 03:03 PM
haleym

yeah it was feta though, which is made with goats milk....
its just really frustrating because everytime I eat IF even with SF foods I get very bad gas and NO BMs

and if i eliminated it, well we all know that constipates even worse

To tatyanna new
      #317300 - 10/24/07 03:07 PM
haleym

It was soo bad. I havent had a BM today so I was feeling gassy a lil and bloated a lot before lunch... so thats why I ate the salad to get things moving, but then I just get more gas and the shooting pains.

should i add another TBLS of heathers fiber? like mid day?
im already doing 2 Tbls in the am first thing i have when i wake up, and then 2 tbls at night, right b4 bed along with magnesium, and aloe

#317301 - 10/24/07 03:08 PM
TATYANA

Haley,
Lately I have been eating more avacado to substitute some veggies. It's very rich in vitamins and more nutricious than lettuce. I recommend-I never get sick from it.

I understand completely what you're going through and I am so sorry....May God bless you and make you feel better.

Tatyana.

P.S. Those stabbing pains don't last long, but they're terrible when you're having them.

--------------------

#317302 - 10/24/07 03:13 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

Advice anyone....So i have been following a modified version of the diet for a few weeks now. ( cant go totally into the diet b/c I get anxiety attacks about eating so many carbs- I know I know I have read the threads and articles but its gonna take time for me)

First of all, I just want to say I'm so sorry you're having such bad cramping. Do you have any tea available? It does sound like you're having cramping from gas and spasms and peppermint tea will help with pain. I also recommend getting some sort of heat patch (the kind that stick to your underwear) that you can wear at work. I always try to have one in my purse in case of emergencies.

There are a few things in your diet that could use changing, and it seems that you're already aware of that so I'm not sure how to help. If you're anxious about your diet, I don't want to make you more anxious. But two things that jumped out at me are salad (lettuce) and feta cheese. You could use a better SF base -- the four bagel chips don't seem like enough and they might contain HFCS. If they're safe bagel chips, I'd go ahead and eat them but also take a SFS, like acacia, before the meal. Feta cheese is also a problem for most IBSers, because it's still milk and I think feta cheese is pretty high in fat (30% and up).

Shredded wheat is whole wheat, and whole wheat is probably the most difficult form of IF for IBSers. I'd recommend trying a whole oat cereal (like Cheerios) instead. Also, regular Rice Krispies contains HFCS (which causes gas) -- I'd also check those bagel chips for any HFCS or added fat. I think there's now an organic Rice Krispies and it might not contain any HFCS.

I hope this helps. I actually think you're making great progress with your diet and I hope you have success getting over your anxiety about carbs.

Re: To Tatyana new
      #317305 - 10/24/07 03:25 PM
TATYANA

I recommend trying eating more:
• Oatmeal (with soy yogurt on top, or with peeled fruit, or raisins and soy milk, or with butter substitute-light smart balance.
• Home made soups: (chicken, carrots, potatoes/rice, green beans or add white fish instead of chicken) It's very easy on the tummy even though green beans might give some gas, usually painless for me.

I see that you eat lots of dry food and maybe that's why it goes down so slow. 2 magnesium's a day is better than 1. Don't be afraid of it, it's just a vitamin.

My latest successful diet, guarantees a BM every day:

• Wheaties cereal w/raisins and vanilla soy milk, chopped banana
• Tea
• Oatmeal with soy yogurt on top
• Tea
• Soup (as described above) with an English muffin toasted and topped with smart balance substitute
• 1 banana
• 1 small apple
• tea
• baked white fish with salt and pepper, steamed white rice and boiled carrots, boiled squash (skinned and seeds taken out), 1 avocado
• 2 squares of bitter dark chocolate-dairy free
• tea
• ginger cookies with cool whip-contains HFCS

--------------------

#317308 - 10/24/07 03:51 PM
haleym

thank you for the tips. I was desperate, i usually dont have bagel chips but I was at work and that was the only SF i saw around and I knew I needed some b4 that salad.

yeah i am slowly trying to make the changes but like i said i was crying myself to sleep and stressed to the max when i started on this diet( i jumped right in and after 3 years of low carb eating I went all out and had soo many)
so i gained weight and wasnt getting enough IF etc
so my husband(who couldnt handle seeing me so upset) and i decided I would try one new idea on heathers plan every week or so.

two weeks ago it was no dairy( thought feta was goats milk so thought it was ok)

and now this week it is eating some SF first and then I can have my normal meals.

slowly is how I have to ease into this for my own mental health.

Re: To tatyanna new
      #317309 - 10/24/07 03:52 PM
TATYANA

Goat's milk (so does breast milk) too contains lactase. So, if you get sick after that meal, than it's the feta cheese you ate. I wouldn't dare eating it.

--------------------

Re: To Tatyana new
      #317310 - 10/24/07 03:56 PM
haleym

yes i actually read that post from last week and I tried that for a few days and not only was I more constipated but I was 2 lbs heavier in 3 days.

i have to ease into this, I have been on low carb diet for three years and all the carbs give me anxiety especially when i was gaing every few days when eating like this\

also I cant do soy- its instant GAS for me

i wish all our bodies worked the same. so happy to here that that worked for you but that was not good mentally or physically for me!!

#317311 - 10/24/07 04:06 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It sounds like you have a very supportive husband, and your plan about adding something new every week is really smart. I think it's good that you're aware of how fast you're able to make changes and that you want to ease into it for the sake of your mental health. Stress and anxiety are definitely big triggers for IBS attacks, so go as slow as you need to! Also, a lot of us here have had success with Heather's diet, so if we tend to repeat a lot of the same stuff and give you suggestions on how to add carbs, please know that we're just trying help. We don't want to sabotage your success or make you anxious. Best wishes with your new plan!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2508

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review