All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
question about magnesium
      #317192 - 10/23/07 11:57 AM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

So I have IBS-C so i wanted to try magnesium as I am trying to get off aloe. So i bought some at Wal mart but i was wondering if I NEED to take the calcium with it to work better? I read that it helps the body absorb the mag. but that calcium constipates so shoud I do the 2(mag):1(cal) ratio or can i just stick to the mag??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about magnesium new
      #317204 - 10/23/07 01:43 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

When I took magnesium every day, I didn't take calcium and it worked really good. I took 2 capsules before bedtime every day. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#317212 - 10/23/07 03:58 PM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

ok thanks for the tip.... i feel like a pharmacy...b4 bed I now take...acacia, aloe(trying to eliminate), magnesium, and birth control.... so im glad i dont have to add calicum too

#317218 - 10/23/07 04:35 PM
TATYANA

He-he, you should see my night stand-covered in vitamins. Hold on, sister. I feel ya.

--------------------

#317221 - 10/23/07 04:40 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Same here, I actually hide my medicine when we have guests so that they wouldn't think I'm a drug addict

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#317230 - 10/23/07 08:38 PM
TATYANA

Oh Zara, you poor thing. He-he.

--------------------

Another magnesium question new
      #317327 - 10/24/07 05:26 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

How long does it take for the magnesium to "kick in" and urge along a bm? I am often a bit on the C side but I am always petrified to take anything (besides IF foods) to make me "go" b/c I was originally a D and I'm so fearful of an attack. I need to get out early in the mornings with my kids and it is very hectic so I don't want to take anything before bed, as I am already stressed about walking to the bus stop. If I took some magnesium (well, I was going to start with a cal-mag vitamin) mid-day, do you think that might help me have a bm before the evening is through? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Another magnesium question new
      #317336 - 10/24/07 07:23 PM
TATYANA

I think it would be a good idea for you to take magnesium-calcium earlier in a day. Try and see how it works out for you. Take 1 capsule, not 2. I think if I took it in the morning, I had a bm by the night time. Give it 10 hours or so, but that's for me. Since you used to be prone to D, I really don't know how fast you will have a bm, but you will have one. Good luck.

--------------------

Magnesium safety? new
      #317342 - 10/24/07 08:10 PM
Zara

I've actually been wondering how safe it is to take large doses of Mg. Since it's a mineral I think large quantities can cause imbalances of electrolytes in our system. I remember reading a while ago that taking Mg supplements over a long period of time can lead to kidney failure. But I'm not sure how many mg of Mg did they refer to. We the people who suffer from IBS-C take a lot of Mg - either as a supplement or in MOM.
I wonder if it's safer to take vitamin C instead since it's water soluble and thus gets flushed out of our system. Does anybody know more about risks associated with Mg supplements?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Magnesium safety? new
      #317352 - 10/24/07 09:56 PM
sun

Reged: 11/26/06

i was wondering the same, how safe Mg supplements over a long time is? i take 500mg everynight and 750mg when i really feel backed up.

how much do you take?

--------------------
ibs-c,gerd,small hiatal hernia ...thank you for the board and for helping me with my questions.<3

#317353 - 10/24/07 10:00 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Does Vitamin C have a similar effect for C-ers?

#317360 - 10/25/07 05:13 AM
Zara

Quote:

i was wondering the same, how safe Mg supplements over a long time is? i take 500mg everynight and 750mg when i really feel backed up.

how much do you take?

My supplement contains 250mg and I try not to take more then 2 capsules per day. Usually I stick to one but lately I've been really constipated so I'm not sure if it's effective enough.

Jodie, I think some people use vitamin C to get things going. I'm not sure about the doses and possible side effects. I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to using any supplements over a long period of time. I want my bowels to start moving naturally

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#317378 - 10/25/07 08:34 AM
TATYANA

I know that a friend of mine took it for over 10 years and is fine.

--------------------

#317426 - 10/25/07 02:00 PM
JodieKG

Quote:

I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to using any supplements over a long period of time. I want my bowels to start moving naturally

Know what you mean love! But looking at dietary sources of magnesium two of them are wholegrains and green leafy vegetables, both of which can be difficult to get enough of with IBS. Same with calcium I suppose, for me, I don't drink soy milk and don't have fortified cereals or whatever... lots of cooked vegies. Dunno.

But I'm going to give calcium + magnesium supplement a go I think!

#317434 - 10/25/07 02:18 PM
sun

Reged: 11/26/06

there are many here that take natural calm, it's Mg , i tried it but it's Mg citrate and it kicked up my gerd.

heres the link: http://www.petergillham.com/product-line/peter-gillhams-natural-calm.php

so i guess its safe

--------------------
ibs-c,gerd,small hiatal hernia ...thank you for the board and for helping me with my questions.<3

Re: magnesium: welcome to my life new
      #318163 - 11/07/07 01:34 PM
JodieKG

Tatyana and everyone, thanks for your tips on magnesium. Finally got round to buying some after being C for 4 days last week (succumbed to laxatives in the end, ergh) and onto day 5 again this week, last night I took 3 caps of Magnesium (desperate!) and this morning - happy days!!! I'm stoked. My mood has totally lifted. I've been obsessing over this to the point of misery.

Going to see a naturopath on Saturday to get some more ideas for nutrition since the constant strategising is surely contributing to worsening C...

Thanks again
Jodie

#318174 - 11/07/07 03:43 PM
Zara

Good luck at the naturopath! Please let us know what s/he has to say. My C has been gradually getting worse just as I thought I got it all figured out in Summer .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318180 - 11/07/07 04:50 PM
TATYANA

Jodie,

I am so glad to hear that magnesium worked for you! That is such a good news! I hope you feel better.

Smiles.
Tatyana.

--------------------

Thanks Tatyana...I just read this old response from you. n/t new
      #318189 - 11/07/07 06:48 PM
line415

--------------------

does anyone get gas from magnesium or calcium? new
      #318190 - 11/07/07 06:53 PM
line415

I haven't tried mag. yet but when I tried both calcium carbonate and calcium citrate supplements I found that I was more gassy. My sister who does not have IBS said the cal. supplements did the same to her. I know I really need the calcium for my bones, as I don't think I get enough in my diet. Any one have a similar experience?

--------------------

#318216 - 11/08/07 09:11 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

I've been taking Magnesium (400 mg, daily) for the past 5 years to help control my migraines. My doctor prescribed it as well as Vitamin B-2 (100mg, daily). It has worked miracles for my migraines I used to get one about every other month. Now I get one maybe every 1-2 years, and the pain is not near as bad.

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

Re: naturopath visit new
      #318289 - 11/09/07 05:52 PM
JodieKG

Hi Zara,

Went today. She was really good, and had me on magnesium supplements within a couple of minutes of listening to my symptoms (esp. pain, cramping and constipation) - she was stoked to hear I'd already started.

She's given me a diet to follow according to my blood type, which I know people think is crazy but right now I'm willing to try it. It's pretty normal actually, no meat, no dairy, and all other kinds of foods are separated into "beneficial, neutral, avoid". Which is cool by me.

I have to cut wheat (but not gluten), she said straight up the cellulose is too hard for me to digest, but lots of other wholegrains are fine, oatmeal included. Lots of the avoid foods I don't eat anyway.

Also for two weeks I'm on no sugar and no fruit; I'm taking colloidal minerals, and drinking a mixture of slippery elm, green clay and sea salt with water twice a day. This is for a kind of cleanse. It's great to have someone talking about healing my bowel. In the meantime I'm getting some more diagnostic tests done and in two weeks we'll start tweaking the diet more, and letting fruit back in!!!

Anyway; it's not strictly the EFI but I can still work with those same principles and around the list of foods I'm allowed. She emphasised to focus on what I can eat rather than what I can't. Most things fall into the former. If I hadn't already cut dairy and red meat it would be a bigger change, and wheat I can say goodbye to easily.

I'd recommend seeing a naturopath if you're open-minded about searching for treatment options, definitely.

Cheers!
Jodie

#318297 - 11/09/07 09:24 PM
line415

JOdie, if you wouldn't mind, could you list some foods that are allowed/not allowed by eliminating wheat but not gluten? I have a hard time distiguishing the two. Thanks.

--------------------

bump n/t new
      #318298 - 11/09/07 09:26 PM
line415

--------------------

#318301 - 11/09/07 09:52 PM
JodieKG

Sure.

Cereals and grains I'm allowed are:
amaranth, buckwheat, ezekiel, manna bread, oat flour, rice cakes, rice flour, soba pasta, soy bread, barley, corn, kamut, oat bran, oatmeal, millet, quinoa, rice, rye, spelt.

To avoid are wheat (bran, germ, white, whole flour), also pumpernickel, semolina pasta, spinach pasta.

I eat a lot of rice crackers and corn thins anyway as I have suspected for a while that wheat makes me bloated and generally bleh.

From your other posts it sounds like you're struggling to work things out at the moment. Have you tried going back to the BTC diet at all?

or would you consider going to see a nutritionist? You need some kind of system to work it out, and I think you need to be patient, trying a food once or twice in a day and then leaving it out for 4-5 days. I know I have been chopping and changing almost daily in a panic, dealing with worsening gas and C lately and it just became too much to think about.

Good luck.

#318316 - 11/10/07 11:58 AM
Zara

Hi Jodie,

Glad to hear about the Mg supplements. Which ones did she recommend? I was so desperate today that I took 3 pills (750mg) yesterday and actually went ok this morning. I'm not sure whether the magnesium kicked in or whether it was my diet (I was trying to mess around with my fiber intake).

It's good that you don't have to give up gluten but only wheat. I would go crazy without being able to eat oats. It makes sense that she wants your gut to calm down over the next two weeks and then play around with your diet. It's good to have found someone who listens!

Please keep us updated on how you do with the diet. Which blood type are you (if you don't mind sharing)?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318324 - 11/10/07 02:23 PM
JodieKG

Same on the oats! Though she did make a noise about them possibly being a problem and saw the look of dismay and said, we'll see how you go for now.

Tell you what today's BM was easier than it has been for a-g-e-s. Don't know if it's the clay/elm or the no fruit or the no wheat or what, but so far so good. Early days though!!

I'm in Australia so I take an Australian brand of mag; she said that one was fine.

I actually think I'm going to bail on the EFI for the time being and give this a shot; just to see if I can get away from being super-obsessed with SF/IF, and to see if a different style, with some guidance, works better for me. It's just me and my mindset, I think it's what I need, to hand someone else control and see how it rolls. The gas and c have been so evil lately.

So for that reason and because these boards are for the EFI diet I'll lay low. If you want to know more, email me and I'll let you know how it's going and what I'm eating. I'm pretty encouraged at the moment. But who knows it might all end in tears!

Cheers
Jodie

For Jodie new
      #318374 - 11/11/07 09:00 PM
line415

Thanks Jodie. Yes, I know I am all over the place right now changing/adding/eliminating haphazardly with my diet. When I first started following Heather's diet (about 14 months ago), I was diligent about doing the BTC and adding one thing at a time. Back then I had serious D and was really suffering. I think b/c now I have been "stable" (for me I consider that no d or c attacks or rare ones since February), I have gotten so used to eating a variety of foods again that I need to get up the stamina to be disciplined again. THanks for the reminder...I know I must keep a journal and add one thing at a time...I would really like to get to the heart of what is causing me the gas.

Thanks for your list of foods. I eat many of those culprits even when something doesn't flat out say "whole wheat." I am going to decide if I want to avoid WW for awhile or fructose for awhile b/c right now these are two things that I suspect (or in a way, HOPE cause at least then I'd have an answer) are bothering me. I'm going to make it a point to start tomorrow...but I think I need to go shopping first!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8667 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10904

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review