All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Magnesium safety? new
      #318216 - 11/08/07 09:11 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

I've been taking Magnesium (400 mg, daily) for the past 5 years to help control my migraines. My doctor prescribed it as well as Vitamin B-2 (100mg, daily). It has worked miracles for my migraines I used to get one about every other month. Now I get one maybe every 1-2 years, and the pain is not near as bad.

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: naturopath visit new
      #318289 - 11/09/07 05:52 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hi Zara,

Went today. She was really good, and had me on magnesium supplements within a couple of minutes of listening to my symptoms (esp. pain, cramping and constipation) - she was stoked to hear I'd already started.

She's given me a diet to follow according to my blood type, which I know people think is crazy but right now I'm willing to try it. It's pretty normal actually, no meat, no dairy, and all other kinds of foods are separated into "beneficial, neutral, avoid". Which is cool by me.

I have to cut wheat (but not gluten), she said straight up the cellulose is too hard for me to digest, but lots of other wholegrains are fine, oatmeal included. Lots of the avoid foods I don't eat anyway.

Also for two weeks I'm on no sugar and no fruit; I'm taking colloidal minerals, and drinking a mixture of slippery elm, green clay and sea salt with water twice a day. This is for a kind of cleanse. It's great to have someone talking about healing my bowel. In the meantime I'm getting some more diagnostic tests done and in two weeks we'll start tweaking the diet more, and letting fruit back in!!!

Anyway; it's not strictly the EFI but I can still work with those same principles and around the list of foods I'm allowed. She emphasised to focus on what I can eat rather than what I can't. Most things fall into the former. If I hadn't already cut dairy and red meat it would be a bigger change, and wheat I can say goodbye to easily.

I'd recommend seeing a naturopath if you're open-minded about searching for treatment options, definitely.

Cheers!
Jodie

#318297 - 11/09/07 09:24 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

JOdie, if you wouldn't mind, could you list some foods that are allowed/not allowed by eliminating wheat but not gluten? I have a hard time distiguishing the two. Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

bump n/t new
      #318298 - 11/09/07 09:26 PM
line415

--------------------

#318301 - 11/09/07 09:52 PM
JodieKG

Sure.

Cereals and grains I'm allowed are:
amaranth, buckwheat, ezekiel, manna bread, oat flour, rice cakes, rice flour, soba pasta, soy bread, barley, corn, kamut, oat bran, oatmeal, millet, quinoa, rice, rye, spelt.

To avoid are wheat (bran, germ, white, whole flour), also pumpernickel, semolina pasta, spinach pasta.

I eat a lot of rice crackers and corn thins anyway as I have suspected for a while that wheat makes me bloated and generally bleh.

From your other posts it sounds like you're struggling to work things out at the moment. Have you tried going back to the BTC diet at all?

or would you consider going to see a nutritionist? You need some kind of system to work it out, and I think you need to be patient, trying a food once or twice in a day and then leaving it out for 4-5 days. I know I have been chopping and changing almost daily in a panic, dealing with worsening gas and C lately and it just became too much to think about.

Good luck.

#318316 - 11/10/07 11:58 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Jodie,

Glad to hear about the Mg supplements. Which ones did she recommend? I was so desperate today that I took 3 pills (750mg) yesterday and actually went ok this morning. I'm not sure whether the magnesium kicked in or whether it was my diet (I was trying to mess around with my fiber intake).

It's good that you don't have to give up gluten but only wheat. I would go crazy without being able to eat oats. It makes sense that she wants your gut to calm down over the next two weeks and then play around with your diet. It's good to have found someone who listens!

Please keep us updated on how you do with the diet. Which blood type are you (if you don't mind sharing)?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318324 - 11/10/07 02:23 PM
JodieKG

Same on the oats! Though she did make a noise about them possibly being a problem and saw the look of dismay and said, we'll see how you go for now.

Tell you what today's BM was easier than it has been for a-g-e-s. Don't know if it's the clay/elm or the no fruit or the no wheat or what, but so far so good. Early days though!!

I'm in Australia so I take an Australian brand of mag; she said that one was fine.

I actually think I'm going to bail on the EFI for the time being and give this a shot; just to see if I can get away from being super-obsessed with SF/IF, and to see if a different style, with some guidance, works better for me. It's just me and my mindset, I think it's what I need, to hand someone else control and see how it rolls. The gas and c have been so evil lately.

So for that reason and because these boards are for the EFI diet I'll lay low. If you want to know more, email me and I'll let you know how it's going and what I'm eating. I'm pretty encouraged at the moment. But who knows it might all end in tears!

Cheers
Jodie

For Jodie new
      #318374 - 11/11/07 09:00 PM
line415

Thanks Jodie. Yes, I know I am all over the place right now changing/adding/eliminating haphazardly with my diet. When I first started following Heather's diet (about 14 months ago), I was diligent about doing the BTC and adding one thing at a time. Back then I had serious D and was really suffering. I think b/c now I have been "stable" (for me I consider that no d or c attacks or rare ones since February), I have gotten so used to eating a variety of foods again that I need to get up the stamina to be disciplined again. THanks for the reminder...I know I must keep a journal and add one thing at a time...I would really like to get to the heart of what is causing me the gas.

Thanks for your list of foods. I eat many of those culprits even when something doesn't flat out say "whole wheat." I am going to decide if I want to avoid WW for awhile or fructose for awhile b/c right now these are two things that I suspect (or in a way, HOPE cause at least then I'd have an answer) are bothering me. I'm going to make it a point to start tomorrow...but I think I need to go shopping first!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11220

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review