All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what does everybody do when D is imminent?
      #316851 - 10/17/07 06:57 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

What is your pre-game strategy when you can feel an attack is coming up? When you eat something and you feel your stomach cramping, and you just know that within hours you are gonna have an attack?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what does everybody do when D is imminent? new
      #316856 - 10/17/07 07:30 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I stay home and keep myself as relaxed as possible. If I eat, it's something very safe and very bland, like white rice or a plain turkey sandwich.

I also keep the Pepto handy.

#316857 - 10/17/07 07:40 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Most of my attacks happen in the morning as I am getting ready to start my day. So if it happens, I take Imodium so I can get out of the house and deal with my day ahead. It says on the box not to take more than 4 of the Imodium Chewables a day. So I make sure I have 4 in my pocket whereever I go. I usually only need 2 or 3. Sometimes even 1 does the trick. Imodium is like my American Express....I never leave home without it.

#316859 - 10/17/07 07:54 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

for some reason whenever I take immodium I get backed up for a couple days unless i break the diet then I get D again but it won't stop so it is like a vicious cycle....so I try to avoid taking immodium unless i'm at school and have class or work to do, cause then i just feel crummy for like 2-3 days after

#316860 - 10/17/07 08:03 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Sorry to hear that. I'm IBS-D so it works great for me. It's kind of like my security blanket, I guess. The only time I didn't have to worry about D is when I was taking antidepressants...then sometimes I wouldn't go for 2 or 3 days!

#316861 - 10/17/07 09:09 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I take 1/2 dose of Imodium (1 mg or 1/2 - 1 caplet -- I think a regular dose is two), and this is enough to prevent D and not get me constipated. Also: hot tea, peppermint or ginger works for me.

#316958 - 10/18/07 06:02 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I take an anti-depressent so I too will get c for a few days if I take immodium, then the cycle starts again which is awful. That's how I used to be (ibs-d/a) before I found this site. I love the comment about immodium being the American Express...that was totally me! Anyhow, I hadn't taken immodium in my gosh sooo many months until recently I took it a few times for anxiety produced d. I would suggest taking the lowest dose that you can and giving it at least 30 minutes to kick in before taking more. I usually put some acacia (about 1/4 tsp) in a very mini-bowl of oatmeal (just enough to mix it in) and that will help calm my system if an attack is imminent. And lately I have been a little more liberal with taking a klonopin if I'm freaking out. That seems to have an effect on my gut too. Also, staying still really helps me. A few weeks ago I had an attack filled morning and I managed to take my daughter to a gymnastics class where I just sat frozen keeled over in a chair and I warded off the d for an hour. As soon as I got up and drove home, moved around, it started again. Also, try putting a thermacare menstrual pack on...it feels good and psycholocially keeps me calm. May your attacks be few and far in betweeen.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#343988 - 04/02/09 02:50 PM
Clifton

Reged: 12/11/08

Being in a hot, humid place I used to take rehidrat powder. Of course if it got worse I switched to immodium as well (2 tabs). That did cause C for 1 or 2 days. Now with SF it is different. I don't need rehidrat or immodium. Only SF and camomile teas are good enough. Peppermint tea also helps.

- Clifton
-------------
IBS-D with bloating and gas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2655

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review