All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Feelin' pretty gross
      #316719 - 10/15/07 07:45 PM
Hollylou42

Reged: 09/25/07

First off, Hi, I'm new here! And currently I am curled into the fetal position with a heating pad on my tummy hoping I don't need to run to the bathroom again tonight.

For some background to get me started, I got food poisoning early November last year, and after that started having bad stomach aches. I ignored it for a few months until it reached the point they would sometimes wake me up at night and they would be so bad in the evening I would be unable to eat dinner. In April the diarrhea began, usually in the afternoon or after dinner, having to go 5 or 6 times before bed. Then I would be fine in the morning and it would start again (usually) the next afternoon. I am 22 and I really thought I was dying. I couldn't function socially, my boyfriend and I couldn't go out or enjoy all the things we used to do. I became a bit depressed. I started losing visible amounts of wieght and I finally did something about it in May after what I can remember being the worst week ever.
I saw a doctor and was told I may have celiac because my mom was diagnosed at my age, tests were negative. Then I was told it may be Chrons and all those tests came back negative. So after three months (which I know now is a very short amount of time comparatively), two doctors, a GI, numerous blood tests, stool tests, and an upper GI swallow, I was told by a rude GI that I had IBS handed a perscription and sent out of the office.

He didn't even tell me WHAT IBS was!

I suffered for awhile longer until I really got fed up and decided to embrace my diagnoses and do something about it. So I read LOTS of books and websites, I saw a holistic doctor who helped me with some food allergies, and then I found Heathers books. Tomorrow will be three weeks on the diet and to be honest I feel like I have seen some change but I still get flare-ups.

Today I was good, I think, I didn't eat anything bad. Although I will admit that this past weekend a friend was in town and I didn't eat well yesterday. So really I have some questions for the ole pros on this site.

How long until I consistently feel better?
If I cheat one day, is it possible for it to not effect me until the next day?
How much can I cheat in the beginning and still see results, or do I really have to give up my Sunday morning ritual or bagel and cream cheese?
What if anything can I do when I do get diarrhea?
Also, everyone talks about horrible pain, and I think I may have had bad (but not horrible lower abdomen pain)8 or 9 times in the last year, mostly I just get diarrhea that lasts for about 7 hours and then its over? Anyone else get this?

I think thats it for now, any help or answers would be great. I am sure you'll hear more from me as time goes on. Thanks guys!

-HollyLou-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Feelin' pretty gross new
      #316720 - 10/15/07 07:49 PM
Hollylou42

Reged: 09/25/07

ALready one more thing I forgot, I love to cook so I have been trying to create new dishes and change my old favorites. And Heathers book said to keep fat under 25% of all that you eat. How do I calculate this? How much fat is too much?

Lastly, I said that I had lost wieght, about 20 lbs (and I am pretty small boned, and to be honest I look pretty skinny ) And since starting the diet I have still be losing wieght. This really scares me. Any tips?

#316729 - 10/16/07 05:35 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Welcome Holly Lu from one newcomer to another. I have been on the diet for one month. I still have some issues but they are mainly bloating and gas and I'm tailoring my diet to try to determine what is causing that. One thing I have found is that if I cheat and have any dairy (even hidden in the food - like a cream sauce or rich pastry) I have D within four or five hours. I let my husband talk me into having a piece of sausage and onion pizza and paid for it all night long. It just isn't worth it to me. I don't even consider it deprivation anymore. I am learning a new way to eat and it is working. The docs are not interested in this because to them it isn't scientific enough and each person has to have his/her own very special diet. What works for me won't work for you and vice versa. I have found that I have serious sensitivity to both milk and soy. Another of my triggers is too much corn syrup or fructose but I can tolerate a small amount. Another important thing is that I can't let my stomach get too empty. If I do the cramping starts and the bowel motility is effected and sometimes I get D without eating a trigger--just from being too hungry. When I get D, I chew the chewable extra strength Immodium (the one that relieves gas as well) and I usually get relief. Before the diet I would take an Immodium almost everyday. Since the first week of the diet I have only taken 2. Someone on this cite said that if they get are functioning without IBS controlling their daily life they consider that stable. I think that is a good prospective. Good luck to you.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#316795 - 10/16/07 08:09 PM
tarau1

Reged: 09/02/07

Hollylou,

You sound just like me. I got food poisening on Dec 2 and have been sick ever since. I lost 20 pounds. I am small boned too, so I looked terrible. I got down to 119 pounds and I am 5'11". I had tons of trouble at first eating. I got to the point where I did not even want to eat. I was totally fine without eating. I got so weak. Finally, I started drinking ensure. I get the coffee latte flavor. I freeze it for 30 minutes and it tastes almost like a frappacino. I was able to get my calories from drinks and finally was able to eat more. I started out just eating mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, soups, oatmeal, apple sauce, toast, and cereal. I slowly introduced fruits, vegies, and meat. I am doing much better now and you will too. Try the ensure drinks. They are really good. They have about 200 calories, so they count as a snack. I was drinking like 6 a day to gain my weight. It took me three months to gain 12 pounds. I also can eat ice cream. I know a lot of ibsers can not. That will help with the weight as well if you can tolerate it. The only dairy that I had to elminate was milk, cheeses, and yogurts. I hope this helps.

Tara

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1871 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review