All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tips
      #316425 - 10/11/07 08:25 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Seriously, how do you guys have the will power to stick to this diet? I could really use the help. I'm bored at home and have been sitting on this website far too much today!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: tips new
      #316454 - 10/11/07 01:52 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Is your body giving you any love back for following the diet? Any improvement? I find the discipline to do it in the simple fact that for the first time I can remember, I can go through most days without constant pain and misery. That keeps me motivated, and if I ever do get complacent, and nibble on some random foods, I pay for it in such agony (and guilt, and evil evil disordered eating) that it reminds me and makes me more determined.

But, if I was still feeling like s**t even following the diet I'd be miserable too. I don't know. Do you ever try recipes from the recipe board? I'm a crappy cook and am so uncreative in the kitchen but that board does give some great ideas for a bit of variety.

Hang in there. We've got to find the way to keep you motivated!!!
Jodie

#316512 - 10/12/07 08:36 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Jodie,

Yeah, to be fair the diet does give me some love back. I think my problem is that my mind completely freaks out if i've cheated, as does my body naturally. And unfortunately i've been eating inappropriately for the last week because my head hasn't been able to cope with my IBS flaring up. It sounds silly but my eating gets really disordered and bad when i turn into a crazy even though i really know that all round i'd feel better if i just stuck to the diet. Do you know what i mean? It's like i go round in circles between my head, my body, and my eating. I'm getting stressed as well because my allergy dietitian says i have to eat dairy and avoid wheat even though i know that i have problems with both. I can't seem to get hold of her to tell her that i think dairy's a problem for me and i don't have an appointment with her until December.

Sorry. As you can tell, i'm a bit of a stresshead sometimes! Thank you so much for your reply, and empathy and encouragement. It's great to know that other people understand what you're going through. xxx

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316548 - 10/12/07 12:16 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I think that with IBS, will power is very important. Not everyone is born with strong will power, but it's something that you can work on. I hate cooking, so for me it is very difficult to eat now. I end up eating the same safe food lately, like oatmeal, soup, tea, rice, soy milk/yogurt...
Last night I had an IBS attack while I was exercising (for no reason, I ate only safe foods), so when my husband wanted to go out to eat with me, I ended up drinking hot water with a lemon in a restaurant and just watched him eat. I wasn't going to risk it, not after an attack (stabbing pain, hard to breath, sweat). I think you learn. It's like Heather says in the book, that food doesn't taste that great if it's followed by an attack.
Naturally, I am a lover of spicy foods and that's the most difficult part for me, is having to eat plain foods without much spices and flavors. I miss it sometimes so much that I cry. But, I regret, every time I splurge and have a bite of something spicy, like adding barbecue sauce on a sandwich. I pay for it later every time.
The only person that can help you is yourself!!!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

A wise GI doc tip new
      #316550 - 10/12/07 12:21 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I find this comment from a GI doc who developed a diet for IBS suffers that also have IBD insightful

Remember: what you eat and drink is in large part determined by your taste buds, which makes your brain happy, but your stomach, small bowel and colon do not have taste buds and suffer the consequences of eating foods and beverages that please the tongue, but not the gastrointestinal tract.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: A wise GI doc tip new
      #316565 - 10/12/07 01:34 PM
JodieKG

Yes! Exactly. GI tract, meet tastebuds. Tastebuds, GI tract. You're on the same team. Co-operate, damn you!!!!

#316566 - 10/12/07 01:38 PM
JodieKG

I do know exactly what you mean. The constant thinking and evaluating and pondering about food can be very, very difficult to kind of integrate into your headspace. We're just not rational all the time, if we were we'd never stuff up on the diet but, you know... we're human! I would love to learn how to forgive myself a little; it's something I definitely need to work on, maybe you too.

It's great to read that your allergy doc is letting you cut dairy; hopefully you can re-organise your diet and get a fresh start on this.

Good luck!
Jodie

#316591 - 10/12/07 07:50 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Quote:

Yes! Exactly. GI tract, meet tastebuds. Tastebuds, GI tract. You're on the same team. Co-operate, damn you!!!!

OMG, I love this!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#316594 - 10/13/07 05:08 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

Me too! I should have this tattooed on the inside of my palm so that I'd remember

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#316631 - 10/14/07 12:20 PM
kristi123

Reged: 10/13/07

This sounds just like me. I have been at home, avoiding going out with friends (in fear of an attack), and on this website constantly.I stuck with the diet for the first few weeks( b/c it did wonders) and somehow got off it slightly. Well, I'm back to it now and my only way for staying with it was wanting to enjoy doing things instead of being fearful. I've just been reecntly diagnosed, am 17 years old, and have found that this diet is well worth it. Try not to base fun off of food, but eat food to allow youself to have fun.

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4200 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4842

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review