All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CONFUSED??
      #316255 - 10/08/07 11:58 AM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

Hello
OK so I am on my 4th day of follwing Heathers diet and I am not really sure if either I am doing wrong or what. The first 2 days things seemed to be going ok, I was eating what she says to (which is more carbs than I have had in 3 years)and I actually had a BM the first two days. But today and yesterday I havent had a BM and I am SUPER bloated...I have read all the posts on weight gain and this diet and I am still VERY nervous because I have barely eaten any of the unsafe foods or any carbs in at least 3 years and I am afraid I am going to blow up like a balloon b/c of going almost no carb to almost all......please please someone any advice???? can I still have like only protien(grilled chiken breast) and veggies(cooked) for dinner if I take a SF supplement right b4 so that I am not eating carbs (rice, or a potato)that late in the day?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CONFUSED?? new
      #316256 - 10/08/07 12:04 PM
DDloves

Reged: 10/03/07
Loc: Salinas, Ca.

Hi, Are you gluten intolerant?

#316258 - 10/08/07 12:12 PM
haleym

I dont know.....I was told by my old hydrotherapist (I dont get colonics anymore) that I shoud stay away from wheat, corn, and soy...so basically for the past 2-3 years I have done a low to no carb diet. The only carbs that I have eaten regularly in the past 2 years are oatmeal or ezeikeal 4:9 flourless bread with all natural PB on it. Lunch has been a grilled chicken salad with all romaine lettuce, and dinner is usually chicken and steamed veggies....and coffee and aloe.....and I have IBS-C almost all the time and then random days of IBS-D.

#316260 - 10/08/07 12:29 PM
DDloves

Reged: 10/03/07
Loc: Salinas, Ca.

My 15 year old son was diagnosed with IBS,Gluten intolerant,Food allergies to: Soy,rice,corn,greenbeans,3 nuts,watermelon,squash,and so on. Also diagnosed with Yeast overgrowth,Leaky gut. So we are trying an IBS diet,with gluten free, and taking enzymes,omega acid,vitamine, and he has shakes made of Hemp milk. So far he is doing fine for about a week. Although stress is not helping.

#316261 - 10/08/07 12:33 PM
haleym

I am sorry to hear about your son....yeah I am just really confused. One site says if you have IBS stay away from soy and corn and then this one says that soy and corn are safe....ahhh I dont know? But i know that I am bloated and I am very scared that all these carbs and no BM is going to really make me blow up......

#316262 - 10/08/07 12:44 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It sounds like you're panicking and not only is that not necessary, it's really, really bad for your IBS.

If you're concerned about carbs causing weight loss you can stick to the Soluble Foods that have a lower glycemic index. I just pointed someone to the FAQ on Heather's IBS diet and diabetes and the same info might be useful for you: web page

If I remember from your earlier posts, you're IBS-C or possibly IBS-A. Getting Insoluble Fiber is very important and it may be that the reason you're feeling bloated and C is that you're not getting enough.

You can try using a Soluble Fiber Supplement as your SF base before dinner. That approach doesn't really work for me but other people seem to be able to do it. However, there's a problem with that. If you take too much SFS too fast, you're going to be subject to bloating, gas, and general misery, so you need to go up on the dosage slowly. That means it will take you a while to get to enough SFS to really cushion a full meal. I think an SFS is a good idea but for an SF base I'd rely on the less "white" SF foods mentioned in the web page I sent you to. Remember, also, that cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, and the various kinds of squash are SF and I think they're very healthy.

Because there's a significant psychological component to IBS, if eating this way is truly going to make you a nervous wreck, it probably won't help as much as you want. The good you do by eating more IBS-friendly foods will be counter-acted by your anxiety over it. Instead of freaking out about eating "white" food, rely more on colorful sources of SF. I know you said you've done all the reading, but please be sure you've read the sticky post about Atkins - I hope you'll find it reassuring.

Also, remember that most people consider Japanese and Chinese diets to be very healthy but they rely heavily on white rice, along with protein and fresh veggies. The Mediterranean Diet uses a lot of "white" soluble fiber foods, again with protein and fresh veggies. That's where you want to get with Heather's IBS Diet - eating enough SF foods to keep your tummy calm while rounding out your diet with lean protein and as much IF grains, fruits, and veggies as you can handle.

Last but not least, you may simply need to prioritize your health concerns. Yes, you'd like to lose weight and no, you don't want to gain any. But for right now, getting your IBS under control seems more important. That may mean loading up on more "white" carbs than you'd like. Once you start to understand the diet better and get your IBS under control, you can start to slide the scale toward less SF and more IF choices.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#316264 - 10/08/07 12:50 PM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

It is confusing b/c none of us are the same. I can tolerate soy in things, but a larger amount of soy (say in pudding or smoothies) sends me to gas and D hell. I hear you're concerned about weight gain, but I have actually lost 15 lbs over the past 5 months (with no change in anything other than eating) and typically, am just as full as I was before.

You have to make sure you have a solid soluable fiber base. I don't eat meat, but I understand chicken would not be the enemy if prepared right. the veggies - totally depends on how they're cooked and your personal tolerances. I have had trouble with some of the "safe" veggies. You have to experiment and figure out what your system tolerates. You can certainly make healthy choices. Have half a baked potato with nothing, or teeny bit of safe margarine or salsa. I eat the Barilla plus pasta all the time and it's extremely healthy, high fiber and protein, lots of good sources. However, I can't touch wheat pasta. I do eat rice, but not a ton of it. Carbs are important and barely eating any for 3 years couldn't have been healthy. Eating styles come in fads. But if you compare the EFI diet to the recommendations by the surgeon general or probably any other group that's not trying to sell you something, you come up with the recommendations of this diet. A healthy balance of carbs, protein and fat. I don't remember the percentages, but if you follow it properly, make good choices and eat smaller, frequent meals, you should be fine and not gain weight.

#316266 - 10/08/07 01:06 PM
haleym

THANK YOU so much for your reply. I AM having so much anxiety about it. I am trying no to but I have a really hard time with weight....I tend to find my worth in it, I know I shouldnt but its an obession of mine. But you are so right, I need to get my IBS-c undercontrol as my first priority....I started on a SF supplement two days ago with one pill in the morning on an empty stomach. And that is a great suggestion, I just have to get there mentally that a sweet potato or carrots are not going to kill me ( after low carbing for years these things bring fear) Thanks for the reply, I am trying to focus on not working myself up as I have a meeting in an hour that I am already nervous Ill be gassy in because I havent had a BM in two days...its a horrible cycle

#316269 - 10/08/07 01:17 PM
haleym

Thank you for your reply. Yeah I have heard that a lot of people have lost from this way of eating but then at the end of their post they will be like " i am not eating all the fried food, and soda that I used to....." And that makes me think, of course you lost weight, but what about for people who dont eat any of that stuff, did you eat unhealthy before this???...I am 24, I recently married a personal trainer ( a month ago:)) I workout 5-6 days a week and dont eat all that fried food, sugar etc. hopefully this wont make me blow up like a balloon.

#316270 - 10/08/07 01:19 PM
haleym

also can my SF base just be a SF supplement so I dont have to eat all the carbs??? Like taking an SF supplement before a dinner of chicken and veggies???

#316274 - 10/08/07 01:53 PM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Look to the prior post. You may be able to work up to having a SFS as a base, but not off the bat. Yeah, part of the reason why I lost weight was because I stopped eating anything fried, but I also stopped eating a lot of veggies and fruits I had been eating. and I still have something sweet everyday (safe soy ice cream, sorbet, cake). And I'm eating more than I did before. And still lost weight.

But I agree that you need to prioritize your health. I'm not watching my weight as it's far more important to get my IBS under control. I just happened to be losing weight, very slowly.

First, get yourself as stable as you can, then try adding foods back in. Everyone has different tolerances. A lot of people mix in mashed broccoli or califlower with their potato. Most squash is very good for you.

But you're not going to get stable as long as you're freaking out about the food choices. Definitely don't rush the increase in the SFS as that will definitely cause more problems. Experiment with how much of the "white food" you need to eat in order to safely eat other veggies.

I was really afraid of gaining weight on this diet and I find myself eating healthier than I ever have and my stomach is better than it's ever been. Yes, you've always been healthy and watched what you ate. But it's more important to feel better.

Take some deep breaths. And change as much food as you feel you can right now and see if you feel better. Cut out the more "dangerous" IF items (high fiber, whole wheat is the worst for me). Take it slowly. You don't have to radically change your diet if it's only going to freak you out. That will negate any changes you have made.

Hang in there. You will get the hang of it.

#316301 - 10/08/07 07:35 PM
haleym

thank you so much for your reply. yeah i think i need to just try not to freak about the 3lbs i have gained in the 4 days on this. like i said i am going from no carbs for almost 3 years to now adding what society says are the "worst" kind.....ok i think i will be ok if my day look something like this...a benefiber pill first thing

Breakfast: wheatfree toaster waffles with 1 tbs on all natural pb on it
snack: maybe a luna bar or a few rice cakes
lunch: white rice and some grilled chicken
snack: carrot sticks
dinner: some eggwhites in a low carb-(whitw) tortilla
does that look like Im following it pretty much?

#316306 - 10/09/07 02:56 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

This looks like you are getting plenty of SF but you need to add more IF, especially if you have C. More veggies and fruit if you can handle it. Make muffins with fruit added, try some beans,celery, etc. Look at the list of If and SF foods that is somewhere on this site. It will help and you won't feel like you are getting so many carbs. Try mixing in the veggies with your rice or eggwhites for a base.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#316345 - 10/09/07 03:51 PM
Sand

Quote:

ok i think i will be ok if my day look something like this...a benefiber pill first thing

Breakfast: wheatfree toaster waffles with 1 tbs on all natural pb on it
snack: maybe a luna bar or a few rice cakes
lunch: white rice and some grilled chicken
snack: carrot sticks
dinner: some eggwhites in a low carb-(whitw) tortilla
does that look like Im following it pretty much?

The menu you've laid out is pretty much all SF (Soluble Fiber) which is not going to do what you need - you must eat more IF (Insoluble Fiber). Soluble Fiber calms down a spasming gut which is a necessary first step for IBSers but in order to get your gut moving stuff out you have to have IF - especially if you're IBS-C.

The other thing that bothers me about your menu is that you're sticking with "white" SF. I like "white" SF but you've repeatedly said you consider it unacceptable. Therefore, I think you'll be less anxious and more likely to stick with the program if you incorporate more colorful sources of SF into your day.

Instead of a toaster waffle for breakfast, how about oatmeal? Oatmeal is about half SF and half IF and the IF in it is usually tolerated well by IBSers. Instant oatmeal is fine as long as it's safe - no dairy, no artificial sweeteners. Oatmeal gives you some IF and in the form of a whole grain. Try throwing a few berries in for even more IF. For protein, try a hard-boiled egg white.

If your snack is a few rice cakes, add a little fruit, too, even if it's just a peeled apple. That gives you some IF.

Instead of white rice with your lunch, try brown rice. More IF, more color. If you can manage a tiny bit of veggie soup so much the better.

Carrot sticks are fine but they lean toward SF so see if you can augment them with maybe one small celery stick.

How about some squash with more chicken or fish for dinner? Add a little well-cooked green beans or peas to get some IF in you at that meal too.

As your gut calms down you can increase the amount of IF you're consuming. Eventually you'll hit that magic spot where you're eating the bare minimum of SF necessary to keep your gut happy while rounding out your diet with safe protein and IF.

And please be sure to get some fat in your diet. Too much isn't good for IBS but you need some. Heather recommends no more than 25% of calories from fat. You can go lower if you feel better that way, but don't go too low. Think of a reasonable amount of fat as lubrication to keep all your systems - including your gut - running smoothly.

Another way to approach this is to think about what you were eating before you found this Website and try to tweak that so it's more IBS-friendly. For example, if you used to have, say, tabouleh with chicken and veggies for lunch, try the same approach but use orzo in place of the tabouleh and be sure most of the veggies tend toward the SF side. As you do well with that, start mixing some tabouleh in with the orzo and bump up the IF veggies.

I have a feeling you found this Website by finding the Boards and you really can't get a good handle on Heather's approach just by reading the Boards. Here's a list of stuff to read through that might help you better understand that all-SF all the time isn't where you want to go with this approach.

Here's a post I wrote a while back that will point you to the basic reading you need to do to get a better handle on how this is all supposed to work. Just follow the links: web page

Here are two old newsletters that address common misconceptions about dealing with IBS-C. Please do read these. They explain better than I can why IF is so important:

Constipation Frustrations 1

Constipation Frustrations 2

Quote:

i think i need to just try not to freak about the 3lbs i have gained in the 4 days on this.

Please don't freak out about this. It seems pretty unlikely you've gained 3 pounds of fat in 4 days. The fact that you're constipated may be sending your weight up or you may be retaining more water or it may just be the normal weight variation we all experience on a day to day basis. (If you're going to weigh yourself more than once a week you might want to figure a moving average and follow that - it smooths out the daily weight swings everyone experiences.)

Unless I've forgotten everything I once knew about weight and calories, 1 pound of fat "costs" 3500 calories. So in order to gain 3 pounds of fat you'd have to have consumed 10,500 calories more than your body needed for basic metabolism plus activities. Over a 4-day period, that would mean consuming 2,625 extra calories per day. That seems pretty unlikely.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#316373 - 10/10/07 04:12 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Great post, Sand! Even though i'm not asking the questions i still found your reply eally helpful and encouraging.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316389 - 10/10/07 10:04 AM
Sand

Thanks. I'm glad it helped.

--------------------

#316395 - 10/10/07 02:24 PM
haleym

thank you very much for the help!!! i actually have read so much of the site that my husband is wondering what I do until 1am! but thanks so the links again, i re read just to make sure. Yeah I think that my problem is that Im an all or nothing kinda gal I did the low to no carb diet for 3 years and even when it was ok so slowly start adding I didnt because I wanted to make sure I was doing it completely "right" . SO when I found this I though, wow maybe this is the answer to my prayers so I ran out and bought everything on her safe list and jumped right in. I am going to do what you said and find the balence of my eating for the last 3 years which has been something like

eggwhites for breakfast, a chicken salad on all romaine for lunch and chicken or beef with veggies or a salad for dinner and a sugar free fudgsicle for dessert.

Yesterday I had this:
Oatmeal for breakfast (with some finey chopped walnuts)
an apple for snack( if Im IBS-C dont i want the skin???)
lunch was a wrap on a spinach tortilla with chicken and romaine lettuce
no snack- i was at the gym
and then for dinner a lean turkey patty, some squash and some brocolli.

the apple was the first piece of fruit ive had in about 3 years....it was very yummy

Apple skin new
      #316400 - 10/10/07 04:09 PM
Sand

Quote:

an apple for snack( if Im IBS-C dont i want the skin???)

Ideally, yes, but some people find it a tough IF to start out with especially if an apple is all you're having as a snack. If you want to eat the skin, too, then I'd add some SF in with it even if it's just a few pretzels to get things started.

Your new meal plan looks good and I'm glad you're enjoying your apple.

Take care.

--------------------

Re: CONFUSED?? Adding Natural calm new
      #316689 - 10/15/07 12:40 PM

Unregistered

I thought I'd jump in here if that's okay? I was on here for a while venting, frustrated, at my wits end. So many helped me on here I can't tell you. With each person's input I am finally under control. This whole system of Heather's really works as well as some other suggestions some people have used.

I was so constipated that all that was coming out were these tiny hard as a rock what I call doodie balls. I thought I'd never see a normal stool again it'd been years.

Then someone, I believe Lisa, (love you Lisa you saved me along with Heather!) mentioned Natural Calm. You can get this at Whole Foods or any health food store. It's so easy on the tummy and boy does it work. It's basically magnesium. I showed it to my Gastro doc and he gave me the okay to take it.

I have increased my apple sauce with my warm cereal and bananas so I have either warm brown rice cereal, a tiny bit of margerine, the combo of apple sauce/1/2 banana and for myself I like to sip on hot water or I get a wheat alterative warm cereal Kamut and do the same. Millet I found was too harsh on my belly.

The hot water I sip seems to really get things relaxed enough to go and it's not harsh. I can't seem to tolerate the fennel tea. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so I react odd to things and fennel even though no caffine I felt hyper, BUT that's just me. It shouldn't do that to others.

For lunch I have been using a lot more butternut squash and then I have some chicken or turkey. Snacks I make tiny quarter size ground turkey patties. I have 2 of them, with some apple sauce or papaya. I also can tolerate Kamut bread which is a wheat alternative and I can have that with banana mashed and some almond butter. I eat small amounts so my tummy doesn't get over loaded.

Dinner is fun for me cause I have either salmon, chicken, ground turkey, steamed veggies, mostly asparagus or carrots and then, either potato or rice or rice pasta.

More easy fruit for snacks with something IF.

Then I sip on my Natural Calm. I happen to have really bad constipation so I use 3 tsp of it in warm water. I love the taste. It took a while for my stomach to get used to it. I'd get gas a little after I went, but now my stomach loves it. I take it about once every 3 days and it keeps the bowels going the right now. Not like harsh laxatives.

I agree with the poster who said you will find the right balance for you. I thought I never would. Now IBS is managable and not on my mind 24/7.

I did go out to several dinner parties recently and it's hard. You have to pick and chose carefully. I can't seem to tolerate any eggs, white or not. They stuff me up. Since stopping that along with the above I found my balance. Don't give up.

As for the 3 lbs. Yep I get that too. I have introduced walking which I think really has helped the body move enough to keeps things working better. I notice when I don't walk I get more bloated and stuffed feeling. Between the added IF and Natural Calm and walking I found my way. I know you will too!

Lainey

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5368

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review