All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Do I have IBS
      #316149 - 10/06/07 03:48 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

I have had panic disorder on and off for 20 years....during my major attacks i lose consciousness.....im on a low dose of prozac...7mg....sub sub therapeutic..you are suppose to start at 20mg...ive been on the 7 for years....could this be causing ibs now or is it helping......i still get attacks but in last few months started getting ibs type symptoms.....and last week was bloated, on and off constipated, cramping and then on friday explosive diarhhea....like a gallon of water came out at once.....i have been drinking decaf coffee for years but think they may have given me caffeinated that morning...i only drank 1/3 of a cup...plus i did a new variation of situps on an excercise ball for past week....do you think these both could have been trigger?Of course i was with my new boss when this all went down and had to run out of his office 3 times and the last time had a major panic attack (due to fear of ibs symptoms)and ran out and semifainted in the bathroom, drenched in sweat......

I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast(with hot water), decaf tea...lunch is salad(chick peas, egg whites, croutons, walnuts, tomatoes and lettuce), dinner is usually some pasta and chicken or fish with a few slices of whole wheat bread....i snack on pretzels, saltless crackers and celery/cucumbers.....and a mouthful of peanut butter? I also drink water and club soda for drinks..Do you guys see any offending foods here.Ive been eating like thhis for years with panic disorder and no ibs..why suddenly ibs??..Also, i walk 5 miles per day, do weight training daily and on weekends run a 10 miler on sat and 5 miler on sunday... Now when i eat this week, I feel the cramping right afterwards......am i letting my mind now create this....i dont want this IBS to take off since it will be so complicated with my panic disorder and just another huge trigger that i dont need.....thanks

Edited by Mhillqt (10/06/07 04:46 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do I have IBS new
      #316157 - 10/06/07 06:08 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

For me, yeast and carbonated drinks give me D. Maybe eliminate those two things and see if you notice a difference. For sure the carbonated drinks are probably affecting you. Are you eating artificial sugars, as well? Read all labels, yeast is in a LOT of foods, not just bread. Also, your mind could be creating it. Happens to me from time to time.

#316158 - 10/06/07 09:43 PM
JJIbeach

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Wakefield, RI

The gastrointestinal symptoms you describe could possibly be a result of anxiety alone, as stress has the potential to effect the body/mind and manifest in unbelievable ways! I found that my IBS developed more gradually, but if you think it is a possibility, try eliminating fats (the nuts, if you eat any dairy) and significantly reduce the insoluble fiber (the salad, mostly all leafy greens, celery, tomatoes) as well as the whole wheat products, whether it is bread, pasta, crackers, etc. These are all potentially problematic for many IBS sufferers, though it varies. Carbonated beverages, caffeine, and alcohol are triggers too. Though I am not a professional, I don't think that anti-depressants should be at all causal of IBS; if anything, I have heard of using anti-depressants as a treatment because it alters neurotransmitters which is helpful as IBS is a brain-gut dysfunction. More important than all of this though is that the mind plays a very integral role in this (and any) disorder or ailment as far as I have observed, so try to remain relaxed! Good luck!

--------------------
21, female, Long Island, NY
school in Kingston, RI

IBS-C, abdominal pain, gas, bloating, cramping; acid reflux; fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue syndrome; chronic headaches

"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

"Suffering arises ... whenever we resist the flow of life and try to cling to fixed forms..., whether they are things, events, people, or ideas."

#316166 - 10/07/07 06:57 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you've only had the one attack of GI symptoms - miserable though they were - I'd assume it's a one-time thing possibly triggered by something you ate or even a mild virus. If you've had these attacks before or you have more of them in the future, then you really need to see a GI doctor to be properly diagnosed. There are a number of illnesses - some serious, some blessedly treatable - that mimic IBS and it's important to rule them all out before settling on a diagnosis of IBS.

HTH and good luck with this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#316191 - 10/07/07 10:59 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Tomato gives me gas and so does cucumber (try peeling and removing seeds).
Maybe you developed sensitivity to your daily food; try switching to different veggy like carrots, peeled apples...Sorry, can't help much, but try different foods.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#316200 - 10/07/07 03:34 PM
Mhillqt

Thanks...this is all new to me since I have been really focused on panic disorder for last 15 years....over the last few years, Ive had cramp attacks after dinner several times and after going to bed, i am fine the next day. Its only in the last month that i have been bloated, losing appetite, cramping and then finally on friday, explosive diarhea that i never had in my life(seriously a gallon of water came out and barely made it to bathroom at work).....im thinking that the coffee they gave me that morning was caffeinated eventhouth i asked for decaf....ive been drinking decaf for last 15 years.....also, i just started doing these really strenous situps at the gym and did them that day hours before the attack....do you think the situps plus caffeine on friday, could have triggered such an episode? Lastly, i am now focused on my stomach since the attack and cramping.....is this more my mind now? I know that your mind can make it worse....should I stop focusing on ibs and just let it go, hoping it might get better.....its just really difficult to deal with this as another trigger for panic attacks and going to work, travelling, socializing....thanks.....

ps.....ive been eating salads for years with tomatoes, cucumbers, eggwhites, nuts, celery and beans.....could this be a cumulative effect and now they are bothering me? I think i will bring my own salad next week with just tuna, lettuce and olive oil......

#316202 - 10/07/07 04:08 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I had been healthy all my life and then one day I wasn't. (crohns disease) I also found out that I could take medications for years and then become allergic to them, alongs with some foods.

You sound worried; I have found that when I worry I get worse. It also helps for me to get a professional opinion, it eases my mind. You should think about seeing an GI. It is better to have a professional tell you that your healthy then to find out your sick and have been for a long time.

I tried to forget about my crohns and made everything many, many times worse. (Almost dying and many more hopital trips) I DO NOT suggest that you that. What I do suggest is that you keep an eye on things. Keep in mind it could be stress. It could be IBS or something more. If you start to loose lots of weight or have blood in your stool call the Doc. It helps to keep a food journal. You can write down what you eat when and how you feel after. You will soon see a pattern. Good luck.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#316225 - 10/08/07 07:01 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

You really should talk to a gastrologist. The only way to know for sure if you have IBS is to rule out other things. So many conditions mimic IBS and vice-versa. In the meantime, cut out those triggers-no coffee (not even de-caf, it still has caffine), dairy, egg yolks, and red meat to see if it helps.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#316265 - 10/08/07 12:58 PM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

As someone who used to suffer from panic attacks and still has the occasional anxiety attack, I can feel the panic in your postings. The first thing you need to do is calm down. It is important to figure out what's going on, but panicking and worrying a large amount will only make everything worse.

Gastro problems are common with panic disorders. IBS is usually defined by problems that last for at least 3 months. Maybe you did have some bad combinations of things you don't usually have/do (caffeinated coffee and extreme exercise). Maybe you had the stomach flu. Maybe it's IBS.

The important thing is to get to the doctor and see if you can figure out what's going on. At least get some tests done and rule more serious things out. I also agree with the other posters that it can't hurt to change your diet. Whether it's IBS or not, eating foods that are easier to digest will help your stomach. Try using imodium and/or eating white rice to help with the D. Also talk to your psychiatrist about what's going on.

We all know how you feel when it comes to freaking out about food choices. Unfortunately, a lot of us also know what panic or anxiety attacks feel like. Try to get centered, practice whatever relaxation techniques you've learned over the years. Modify your diet. Get to the doctors.

Best of luck.

#316280 - 10/08/07 04:01 PM
Mhillqt

Thanks....when I had the diarhea thing happen on friday(normally im C), a gallon of water came gushing out also...is this normal for diarhea?

#316353 - 10/09/07 04:54 PM
Mhillqt

was my post about the gallon of water hold true for diarhea...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4693 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2741

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review