All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Been on diet almost a year. Am I doing something wrong?HELP!!
      #315893 - 10/01/07 02:31 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Ok I have been on this diet for almost a year and I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what..I follows the diet at the start but I think I left to much if out way to long cause now when i try to add it back in like beans, broc, salad, melons I get sick. I still am having prolbems finding things to eat and getting engouh "if" in one day. Like breakfeast the only thing I eat is rice crispies with alond milk. They only things I can have that are "if" are green beans, and soft or dried strawberries I thought I was doing good with peaches and nectarines until I found out that they only count as "if" with skin on!! and all of this stuff gets old so quick. I can't seem to find engouh "if" for the day,for meals or snacks and when you try new "if" do you just wait it out before you try more that week or what I am so confussed and hugry half the time. I love black beans and "thought" they didn't bother now I'm thinking they do. I thpught we could have hummus and made some and that didn't agree with me. I have been pretty good for a while I was going every 2 days.(sorry if to much info)until last week I din't go for 3 then went 4 times in one day not d either then the next had a horrible attack so i stuck to the efi diet for a couple of days and then didn't go for 5 and finley went today (after some mom) and feel horrible. Me and my husband want to start trying again real soon but things like this and not getting engouh to eat only make me fell like this is never going to happen!! If I am doing something wrong some one any one tell me ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT PLEASE I AM DESPERATE! I just want to get myself back on tract and start eating more foods again, and not be hugry. PLEASE! Thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas lactose interolant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Been on diet almost a year. Am I doing something wrong?HELP!! new
      #315894 - 10/01/07 02:53 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Try keeping track of exactly what you eat for 3 days then post it and let other people on the Board look at it and see if they can spot anything you could change.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

And if you decide to try this approach... new
      #315913 - 10/01/07 04:04 PM
Sand

be sure to include when you eat and approximately how much. Also what time you get up and what time you go to bed. Not eating often enough, not getting enough down, and waiting too long to eat after getting up are all disastrous for me and I do better if I eat a little something not too long before bed. Also, how much fluid are you getting every day and are you taking an SFS - if so, how much and which one?

(Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I'm back with my 3 day food list.. I Need help please!! new
      #316193 - 10/07/07 12:36 PM
emmasmom

Day 1
Started day at 8:00
8:25 1 bowl o rc w/strawberrys 1/2 bowl of fruity pebbles
Snack at 12:00 2 graham crackers
Lunch 1:30 chicken nuggets & home made fries & lemon pudding
1 hr walk
1 bottle water & a half of jar of snapple necatrine tea (new)
Snack 3:30 carrot sticks
Snack 4:00 small soft pretzel with safe cream cheese and jam
7:00 Dinner Turkey meatloaf with carrots and celery and mushrooms, small portion of peas (1/2 glass water)
8:00 cup of Heathers fennel tea
10:16 bed time handful of pretzels
Day 2
started day at 8:00
Breakfeast at 8:30 1 bowl of rc with strawberrys&1 bowl 1 bowl of plain rc with some trix
45 minute walk
11:30 peach & strawberry smoothie 2 grham crackers and a slice of french bread
11:15 left over meatloaf baked pot with safe butter and sour cream gass of water
2:30 two small french twist sticks (all safe expect maybe the high gluten wheat flour)
3:30 Snack cup of fennel tea and a small soft pretzel with safe cream cheese and brown sugar and cimmon
5:00 handful of pretzels
7:00 Dinner Grilled catfish sandwitch w/toms ketchup and fried zuchunie& some pasta with grated rice cheddr cheese on top.1/2 glass of water
11:00 Bedtime
Day 3
Started day @ 8:00
Breakfeast @ 8:42 2 small bowls of strawberry rc
11:15 pretzels
12:25 Grilled catfish sandwitch with ketchup. noodles with rice chese on top and lemmon pudding cup one bottle water
3:30 peeled peach, gummies and a mint
5:15 handful of pretzels
7:30 Dinner Turkey bacon buger with toms ketchupand fat free mayo homemade fries and green beans
9:30 2 slices of Bannana bread and small glass of almond milk
10:00 bed time
I am not on and sf supplement. I need more snack ideas and more if please ANY ONE if you see anything I'm doing wrong please help I want to add more if back in my diet again more fruit and some beans would be wonderful. I am so tired of strawberrys and green beans& celery! Thanks in advance I appericate it so much!xx
emmasmom
ibs-c
lactose interolant gas

Suggestions for EmmasMom new
      #316245 - 10/08/07 10:23 AM
Sand

In terms of how often you're eating and how much, things looks pretty good. I'd do better with less than 3 hours between my breakfast and my morning snack but if you're not feeling hungry before your snack then leave it the way it is. The only thing I see that gives me pause is the amount of fat you may be getting. I can't really tell because I don't know quantities but you talk about fried zucchini and what looks like a fair amount of IBS-safe sour cream, cream cheese, and margarine. So just keep an eye on that, but remember that too little fat isn't good either - I think especially for C's.

Other than that one possibility, though, it looks like what you really need is to get more IF and to expand your food choices.

If you're eating "Kellogg'sŪ Rice KrispiesŪ With Real Strawberries" you're just not getting much IF. If you look at the ingredient list, you'll see that this cereal contains more sugar than it does strawberries. My first suggestion is to add some fruit (fresh or frozen) to your cereal yourself. Don't go crazy. Try adding one sliced strawberry or 3 frozen blueberries or a couple of raspberries to start. If that goes well for a few days, add a little more fruit, then a little more and so on. You might also consider switching to Rice Chex since that doesn't contain HFCS and some people find HFCS bothersome.

Still on breakfast, I like the idea of what you did on Day 2: one bowl of plain Rice Krispies (for an SF base, I assume) then one bowl of mixed Rice Krispies and Trix (for a little more IF, I assume). Try sticking to the same idea but bump up the IF in the "second" breakfast a little. Try mixing some whole wheat cereal with your second bowl of Rice Krispies (or Rice Chex). Start with just a little whole wheat cereal relative to the rice cereal and gradually increase the amount of whole wheat cereal as time goes by. If you haven't already, take a look at this old post. You'll see the poster eats a bagel first for SF then a whole bowl of mini-wheats.

Assuming your Snapple Nectarine Tea is the White Tea there shouldn't be any caffeine in it (very nice - I didn't know about this). I'm not sure what type of lemon pudding you're eating but if it's store bought just be sure it doesn't have any dairy in it.

Try adding fruit to your smoothies the same way as to your cereal. If you're sick of strawberries, try substituting a few blueberries or raspberries for one or two of the strawberries. There are even frozen cherries you can try - start with one.

As a higher IF snack, try applesauce mixed with Grape-Nuts. Again, start with a low proportion of Grape-Nuts to applesauce - perhaps as little as 1/4 teaspoon Grape-Nuts to a half-cup of applesauce - and gradually increase the amount of Grape-Nuts.

Instead of peeling your entire peach for a snack, peel most of it but leave the peel on maybe 1/4 of it - or even 1/8th to begin. If that goes okay, try eating more and more of the peel. The same method works for apples. Start out by eating maybe 1/4 of a totally peeled apple. If that goes okay, eat more and more of the apple until you're eating an entirely peeled apple. Once you're at that point, start leaving the peel on some of the apple and see how it goes.

Expand your veggie palette slowly, too. If there's a particular vegetable you really like - say, asparagus - try having just one stalk with dinner to begin with. You can try pureeing broccoli into your mashed potatoes. Make Skinny Mashed Potatoes. About 8-10 minutes before the potatoes are cooked, throw in just a little bit of broccoli florets. Once everything is cooked, mash the broccoli in with the potatoes. If you can tolerate onions, eventually work your way up to this recipe.

Another good source of veggies is vegetable soup. Make one you like, then have just a little bit with your regular lunch - start with a spoon or two if you feel you need to and gradually work your way up. I really like this 15-minute bean soup (and it freezes well) but there are other veggie soups on the Recipe Board you can try like this Lot O Veggies Soup.

As you're adding IF, remember to always cushion it with SF. It's in this regard that taking an SFS might help. In addition to keeping your colon full of fiber so it's less likely to spasm (it has something to "grip"), it can also provide more of a cushion for the IF you consume.

I'm not sure you're getting enough fluid. I try to get at least 64 ounces a day and I feel best if I get 100 ounces (although I rarely achieve that). In theory, at least, it should be pretty simple to do. Drink an 8 ounce glass of water and a 10 ounce cup of tea with all three meals and with your morning and afternoon snack and, presto, you're up to 90 ounces already. Easier said than done, I know.

If you haven't already done so, you might take a look at these two old newsletters for some more information on dealing with IBS-C:

Constipation Frustrations Part 1

Constipation Frustrations Part 2

I hope some of this helps.

--------------------

Hugs and a few questions for Sandy new
      #316295 - 10/08/07 07:02 PM
emmasmom

First of all let me say Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the suggestions and for helping me it means more than you'll ever know. hugs xxx to you! I have some questions if you don't mind me asking.....Ok If I add the fruit to my ceral of a morning than can I have more "if" later in the day like at lunch or super like greenbeans or try the broc or do i just wait. Can i have the peach with the skin that day or the applesauce with granola? Can i still do the "if" that safe for me?If I decide one day not to have ceral and have a cinnamon roll where do I get my if?I guess I am afarid of adding in to much "if" at once now what I mean?
Water I am going to try really hard to do! Does tea count as water intake?
I found rice yogurt at the hfs and it says that it equals as much as 1 cup of whole grain is that ok?
As far as the fried zuccchini I just used cooking spray. Is it a "if" or a souble? How would I go about beans I love black beans and miss them!
I never knew that we could not have engouh fat how much is to much???
I can't do tomatoes like sauce but I am fine on fresh tomatoes is the jar ones ok to use for soup? I was wanting to try the jumbo raseberry muffins is it to soon for them?
I find it hard to fine "if" for every dinner meal like tonight we had lasagna with the mock sauce and some zucchuni and mushrooms since I can't do salad what kind of "if" then? I hope this isn't to many questions I just need to be sent in the right direction thats all! Ok I have one more question and this is a gulity pleasure I found these poptarts there brown sugar and cinnamon they have 3g of fat and 1 sat theres no milk theres wheat flour, vegetable oil & hydrogenated cotton seed oil in them. Just wondering if these were safe or not!!
Try the tea its good!!!
Thank you again so much!!!!
emmasmom
ibs-c lactose interoant and gas

Re: More thoughts for EmmasMom new
      #316347 - 10/09/07 04:30 PM
Sand

Quote:

First of all let me say Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the suggestions and for helping me it means more than you'll ever know. hugs xxx to you!
You're quite welcome.

I have some questions if you don't mind me asking.....
Not at all.

Ok If I add the fruit to my ceral of a morning than can I have more "if" later in the day like at lunch or super like greenbeans or try the broc or do i just wait. Can i have the peach with the skin that day or the applesauce with granola? Can i still do the "if" that safe for me?
I think what you're asking is if you can add more than one kind of new/increased IF per day. I'd probably do it one day at a time. Keep eating the IF that you do well with now and try, say, putting fruit in your cereal tomorrow. The next day, put fruit in your cereal and add some IF at lunch. The day after that, fruit in cereal, IF at lunch, and IF at dinner. That way you're increasingly steadily but slowly and not shocking your system with too much, too fast.

If I decide one day not to have ceral and have a cinnamon roll where do I get my if?
First, of course, be sure the cinnamon roll is safe. Then, since the roll will provide your SF, just eat the fruit that would have gone in your cereal. Remember, too, that you don't have to have IF with every meal - you can skip one now and then.

I guess I am afarid of adding in to much "if" at once now what I mean?
That's why you should only add IF as quickly as you feel comfortable. If that means adding one blueberry a day then do that. You'll feel kind of silly but if it keeps your gut calm and gets you used to IF, eventually it will pay off.

Water I am going to try really hard to do! Does tea count as water intake?
Yup. Any non-alcoholic beverage will count although I believe that caffeine (which we shouldn't be having anyhow) and too much sugar make it count less.

I found rice yogurt at the hfs and it says that it equals as much as 1 cup of whole grain is that ok?
Rice yogurt should be fine. I assume what the label means is that it has a cup of rice worth of fiber in it.

As far as the fried zuccchini I just used cooking spray. Is it a "if" or a souble?
Zucchini is SF. (List of SF foods)

How would I go about beans I love black beans and miss them!
I'd approach them the same way. Start with just a tiny bit maybe as a topping for rice. Gradually increase the amount as you do okay. There are also Black Bean Brownies on the Recipe Board. You wouldn't taste the black beans but it would be way to get some into you well-wrapped in flour.

I never knew that we could not have engouh fat how much is to much???
Heather recommends no more than 25% of calories from fat - fat is a very powerful IBS trigger food.

I can't do tomatoes like sauce but I am fine on fresh tomatoes is the jar ones ok to use for soup?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. You can certainly use either fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes in soup if you can tolerate them.

I was wanting to try the jumbo raseberry muffins is it to soon for them?
I'm not sure what recipe this is but if it's IBS-safe then try it. If you want to be extra safe, try a muffin for an afternoon snack when you've got some food in your digestive tract already.

I find it hard to fine "if" for every dinner meal like tonight we had lasagna with the mock sauce and some zucchuni and mushrooms since I can't do salad what kind of "if" then?
This is where you might try just one asparagus stalk or one little spoon of peas in addition to the zucchini and mushrooms. There's no rule that says you can't make nice SF veggies for dinner and have a little IF on the side. Again, you might feel silly but eventually you'll get to the point where you're eating all asparagus or all peas.

Ok I have one more question and this is a gulity pleasure I found these poptarts there brown sugar and cinnamon they have 3g of fat and 1 sat theres no milk theres wheat flour, vegetable oil & hydrogenated cotton seed oil in them. Just wondering if these were safe or not!!
If wheat flour, vegetable oil, and cottonseed oil are the only ingredients, then the ingredients are IBS-safe. The only question is the percent of calories from fat (%CFF). If it's more than 25% you need to approach cautiously. If you're not sure how to calc this, post the calories per servings and the calories from fat per serving (both should appear on the package in the US) and someone can explain how to do it. Even if the %CFF is more than 25% you may still be able to eat them just paired with something low fat.

HTH. Take care.

--------------------

Re: Hugs and a few questions for Sandy new
      #316351 - 10/09/07 04:49 PM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I agree with Sand 100%, but I will add to make sure your teas, cereal and yogurt aren't hiding any sugar substitues (sorbitol, malitol, aspartame, etc..) I find these- even in the smallest doses- to wreck havick on me.

Virtual Hugs! Keep at it, it will get easier and better.

LJ

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4837 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3990

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review