All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Trigger Foods
      #315889 - 10/01/07 01:57 PM

Unregistered

Hi All! I'm new to this site and am very excited to have found it..my question is, if a food doesn't seem to bother me, such as dairy or coffee is it necessary that I stay away from it? I'm IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trigger Foods new
      #315895 - 10/01/07 02:54 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

How do you know that a certain food doesn't bother you? With IBS triggers can take up to a few days to really cause an attack. Are you still having spasms, pain, bloating, C or D?
The key is to get stable first. After you have been stable for a while you can carefully try to incorporate certain foods to see if they have an effect on you. But remember that with IBS eating is tricky - something may not bug you if you only have it once but can be a major trigger if eaten daily.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#315903 - 10/01/07 03:39 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hello and welcome, jhuggs!

You can't know if a trigger is or isn't bothering you until you're stable. Trigger foods are those foods or ways of eating that are most likely to stress and overstimulate your digestive tract. As an IBS-Der, coffee, dairy and red meat are my worst triggers.

Have you read the info about triggers on the main site? IBS Triggers

#315918 - 10/01/07 04:46 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I once thought as you. However, about a year ago I eliminated dairy (I never drank coffee) from my diet as well as all other triggers listed on Heather's web site and almost one year later- I feel better!!!! Even if you don't think that these foods are triggers, they probably are- eliminate them and give it time to see if you feel better.

#316017 - 10/03/07 11:02 AM

Unregistered

My story extended - I'm really new to this and I don't know if I can "tweak" the IBS diet to suit me - I have been basing my meals & snacks around SF and have cut out red meat, I don't eat diary with the exception of a cheese stick eaten with a banana and a few pretzels as a mid-morning snack (oatmeal for breakfast) - I have been taking a probiotic and just started Fibercon 2 in the am and 2 in the pm to start (acacia on the way!). I also have not cut out my am coffee - since starting this a week ago I have been stable (IBS D w/bloating/gas). If this is working for me can I continue on this route?? So many questions.....

#316023 - 10/03/07 11:53 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Well, I think that dairy/caffeine might not bother you now, but might bother you some days.

At first when I got IBS I could eat veggies and fruits and not feel bloated/gassy. Now every piece of veggetable makes me gassy. IBS changes over time for better or worse.

Whatever works for you!
You're lucky.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Welcome new
      #316049 - 10/03/07 06:03 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi and welcome. Yes, soooo many questions. It has been a year for me on this site and I feel as if I have learned so much about my body, digestion, foods, meds, etc... Stick around and devour each and every topic on the home page about soluble and insoluble fiber, supplements, etc... Great that you ordered the acacia. It really helped with my d. At first I was mixing it in REAL coffee!!! Yes, that was a true oxymoron but at the time I was in denial and thought that the coffee wasn't bothering me b/c some days I would be fine when I had it and then another day when I didn't have it, I'd have an attack. But that's the crazy thing about IBS is it's ability to strike much later on...your system is just out of whack and then you might eat a safe cracker and bam. Now trust me...I LOOOOOVVVVE coffee. I used to drink DD french vanilla daily with extra cream. So thank goodness I found a wonderful substitue...something called "soyfee"...b/c I hate tea and I don't know if I would have had the willpower to give up the real deal. (Do a search on soyfee and you'll see all my other posts about it.) There are other substitutes too out there you can try. I had to get over a miserable weak of caffeine withdrawal, but it was totally worth it. This summer I got cocky and tried some decaf coffee twice...both times I had an attack later on the following day. So I won't be attempting that again.

Dairy is a bit harder to avoid but it can be done. I would leave out that cheese stick and be diligent about following the guidelines at least until you can see if you can get stable. It does take a long time...many months but you will see a gradual improvement right away to keep you motivated. Also, try taking a calcium carbonate supplement (not citrate) I take Caltrate 600 +D. It tends to have a constipating effect. STart there and then of course there's much more to learn, but get acquainted very well with all the info here first before you start posting a lot of questions. The answers may be here already and then we can help you further to tweak the diet to your needs. Good luck.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Welcome new
      #316066 - 10/04/07 10:13 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for the info on Soyfee - I'm going to try it out, how do you brew yours?

Re: Welcome new
      #316089 - 10/04/07 05:42 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I brew mine exactly like I would regular coffee. I buy the french vanilla kind and make it pretty "strong/bitter" b/c that is how I liked my coffee. I use Coffeemate dairy free creamer (I'm fine with it...but check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't bother you). Trust me...I have tried a few others that have roasted chickory or something like that in them and they tasted bad to me/not like coffee. Don't get me wrong, some people here really like teechino and other substitutes but b/c I hate tea, I can't adjust. I emailed the soyfee rep to request that they make an instant form of the soyfee b/c I only run into a problem when I am out. I did buy a toddy maker which is something that makes the beans into a concentrate that you can bring out with you and add hot water, but it was a little messy to bring in a thermos, etc.. Now I just brew some regularly and take it in my thermos if I know I'm going to a restaurant. I'll take it with me to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks too if I'm meeting someone and although it is a bit torturous to smell the real thing, I truly am satisfied and feel so much more confident that I'm not going to have to run to the bathroom (especially in the morning). Well, I digress. I hope you like it if you try it. It is a bit expensive (only comes in 10oz bags) but I rationalize that now I am making all my coffee at home whereas before I was spending money per cup at coffeehouses. (Also, I should mention that I had been getting gas from soy products such as their ice cream, luna bars, etc.. so I completely cut them out...but I NEVER got any gas from the soyfee. I'm not sure why but don't rule it out if you are senstive to soy.)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1011 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3867

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review