All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
eggs & IBS
      #315828 - 10/01/07 08:53 AM
annieb

Reged: 10/01/07

Does anyone have any input as to if I'm trying to eliminate real eggs from my diet, is it better to eat eggbeaters or just eat egg whites?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: eggs & IBS new
      #315830 - 10/01/07 09:00 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Egg whites is better. The reason whole eggs are bad is because of high fat content in egg yolk. Egg whites are just fine. You can even boil and egg, eat the egg white and throw away the yolk. I've done that before even if it looks like a waste. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315831 - 10/01/07 09:11 AM
annieb

thanks for your suggestion.I might also be lactose intolerant..something I need to look into with the doctor.
do you take lactase pills?

#315834 - 10/01/07 09:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I use eggbeaters with no problems. Whereas a whole egg contains about 5 grams of fat an equivalent amount of eggbeaters contains 0 grams of fat

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#315835 - 10/01/07 09:37 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

You'll want to cut out all dairy so you won't need to take the pills. There are lots of alternatives for dairy. I personally love rice milk and there are vegan/rice cheeses out there as well. A little adjustment to the taste, but if you cut out the real stuff and wait a few weeks, your tastebuds will adjust.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#315844 - 10/01/07 10:57 AM
annieb

It would be hard for me to try and totally cut out all dairy products as I eat out alot..most of the time..not too many choices in my case.

#315910 - 10/01/07 03:56 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It is difficult, but dairy's one of the worst triggers for IBS (based on Heather's research and anecdotal evidence). Lactase pills won't help.

Where do you usually eat? Maybe we can help you figure out some safe choices. A lot of us with moderate to severe IBS have had to make some drastic changes in order to manage it. If your IBS isn't that bad, you could probably get away with certain dietary habits more than others.

#315911 - 10/01/07 03:56 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Both options are fine.

#315922 - 10/01/07 05:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

They are the same. I prefer egg whites because they last longer in the fridge and I prefer the taste and texture when cooking them up. I often eat lightly 'fried' egg whites for lunch. If it bothers a person to throw away the yolks then buy egg beaters. For baking you should use egg beaters if the yolk is especially needed but otherwise they are interchangable. It is nice to have eggs because you could whip the whites for various things. You can also buy organic that way too. Hope this helps you decide.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2839 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review