All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS diet and healthy eating recommendations
      #315321 - 09/20/07 06:42 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is really something to be answered or not, and maybe even Heather may have to respond to this. I am a Dietetic Technician and have been having a hard time with the fact that much of what is recommended for a healthy diet is not allowed or recommended on the IBS diet. I was first diagnosed with IBS 30 years ago, and had major problems for about a year at that time. Then, my symptoms seemed to subside on their own. Of corse, at that time my GI doc told me that I just had to "change my attitude and things would get better". So I don't know how I really got better. Anyway, last year the IBS came back full force and although it is getting better it's still there. I am predominantly IBS-C and also have non-ulcer dyspepsia and hyperacidity (non-erosive reflux disease according to my current GI doc). But being in the business I have a hard time not practicing what I preach about whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, etc. I used to eat those things until a year ago when things flared up again. How can I know that I am eating "healthy" when I can't tolerate many of these foods, at least not right now? I'm constantly reminded that I "should" be eating these things in literature and on TV and at work but just can't. I want to live a long, productive life but feel that I'm missing the boat by not being able to include some foods in my diet. It is very frustrating to me. Any words of advice or encouragement? Thanks for your help in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS diet and healthy eating recommendations new
      #315322 - 09/20/07 07:05 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Hi Pixie,
Its interesting that you mention that. When I graduated from college a few years ago i decided to go back to school to become a dietary technician and in the begining of my courses I felt the same way. I have always been big on the whole grain, fruits, and healthy eating as well, but realized that just because I am not eating as much or exactly what is recommended that does not mean that i'm not eating healthy. Also if you think about it, one reason to be a Dietary Technician or a Nutritionist is to help people who have allergies or GI problems and need substitutions for many products and still finding ways to eat healthy. Everyone is different and not everyone can eat exactly the same way. You know everything you have learned and what you have been told, but your job entails catering and making healthy choices for others, including yourself. I wouldnt get down on yourself for not being able to completely eat what you preach because it will only hurt you to eat things that you can not digest.
Hope this helps a little.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#315327 - 09/20/07 09:02 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hey there, Abby's right. Also, i went to see a registered dietitian a couple of months ago about my IBS and she actually recommended a diet very similar to Heather's (with the only difference being that Heather recommends no caffeine and no dairy). I expressed similar health concerns to her and she reassured me that this way of eating is perfectly healthy and somthing i can safely follow for the rest of my life. Therefore, you can rest assured that the recommendations you follow for your diet are not contrary to your role as a dietitic technician. Maybe you could even recommend it to some IBS sufferers you come across? Hope this helps.
x

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#315349 - 09/20/07 03:44 PM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Thank you to abby6126 and welshsarah for your input. I appreciate it. And I have used my personal experience and knowledge and what I've learned to try to help other people with IBS. I work in a hospital so I don't always have a lot of time to spend with people, but I do my best to help those that have similar problems as me. If I can help alleviate any anxiety or help someone learn about IBS to make things easier for them I will. I have recommended this website to several people as well. I guess I was just having a down day. I have been feeling better lately and have been able to add a few things back into my eating habits, so I guess I'm doing alright. Thanks again. I appreciate the support!

#315353 - 09/20/07 04:14 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

You're very welcome I'm glad you're feeling better. We all get our down days and this board is so great for seeking encouragement. I don't know what i'd do without it! Much love

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#315355 - 09/20/07 04:50 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Dearest pixiegoddess.

I am a health nut, just like you. I totally understand what you're going through. Every time I try eating veggies, I become a "fart machine". Whole grains don't bother me, thank God but I am prone to constipation and struggle with that every day. Do you take vitamins? If you don't, I recommend you start, since you're missing out on lots of foods. Try finding substitutes. If you are lactose intolerant, try soy. Soy is rich in protein and iron. If you cannot tolerate apples or tomatoes, try finding foods that have same nutrients to them, like eating some avocado instead of fruits or veggies. Avacado is so good for you, just look it up. Oh, I am sure you know all about nutrients and vitamins...But you're not alone, we're here, just like you and we feel what you feel. I too want to be really healthy and get depressed a lot with my IBS. We understand.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315362 - 09/20/07 06:02 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I am soo happy that we were able to help. we all have days that we feel down or dont feel as well as we would like but thats why we are all here for one another. Keep in touch and continue helping others!

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#315366 - 09/20/07 07:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Please go back and read the recommendations again. It is very possible to eat whole grain and fresh produce and be IBS safe. There are ways to eat those things more safely. I eat tons of fresh produce and whole grains, but I avoid whole grain wheat in quantity. Other whole grains can still be eaten. Also we need to keep our fibers straight and remember that soluble fiber is a healthy thing too. It removes cholesterol and other good things. We can still eat insoluble fiber! We just have to do it more carefully. Heather implores people on her information pages to continue to eat IF after their gut stabilizes.
When you have an eating restriction due to health reasons that must come first and other dietary ideas must come second. If your body cannot easily digest something, like dairy for instance, it has to be avoided or you could possibly be making your body not take in any nutrients because of extremely poor digestion (like constant D can cause no nutrients to stay in the body and so it wouldn't matter what you eat). Eating for health takes many forms and Heather's diet focuses on digestive issues but luckily as a side point it is extremely healthy! There is no reason to think you have to avoid produce! Some of the good, bright colored ones are recommended on this diet (yams, papayas, mangos, carrots; things like spinach and peas are also easy to digest when cooked). You really don't get much healthier than someone who eats for IBS and has gotten past the initial phase of being extra careful. I have been on this diet for 3.5 years and my HDL is over 100! In my mind the whole grain craze is overblown. There is a lot more to making food healthy.
Here is an example of the kind of healthy eating you can do on this diet:
My diet yesterday:
oatmeal with soy milk and fresh peach
banana, luna bar and pineapple
cooked veggie mix of carrot, pea pods, black beans and edamame along with can of chicken breast and another banana for SF
turkey meatloaf with carrots inside, homegrown potatoes and braised bok choy
2 flax seed cookies for dessert

I'm sorry this post is so long. I am venting because after 3 and a half years here I have seen plenty of food crazes come and go and Heather's diet has stood the test of time. I also don't like dieticians. Sorry, just being honest.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#315374 - 09/21/07 02:26 AM
Caramello

Reged: 09/03/07

You don't like dieticians? You don't like people who are dieticians? Why?

--------------------
Carmen, IBS-A

Re: What books are good for diabectic gastroparesis new
      #315380 - 09/21/07 06:48 AM
crystalchandliar

Reged: 09/21/07

My 76 year old mother is a diabectic and she just got gastroparesis I am so worry about her H er doctor gave her medcine and she feeling better no sick to her stomach like she was She has losted a lot of weight and not sure what to eat to gain weight back any books that might help her understand everything about this and recipes ec... Here my email cstark5@cogeco.ca please i will take all the imformation i can get to help my dear sweet mother Thanks for you time Crystal

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 566 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5327

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review