All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Does anyone else feel like a hypochondriac around other people? new
      #5244 - 04/06/03 01:30 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

This may be totally irrelevant, but I have had a condition called "costochondritis" - basically, an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs (I think I've explained that correctly). The first time I had an attack, I was at work and thought I was having a heart attack (had already had my gallbladder removed, so I knew it wasn't that!) Now, I only very rarely have a little "flare". The ribs are actually tender to the touch during an attack, and the patient feels a need to "protect" the ribs by tensing up. It can become chronic (just what we need, huh?) but usually doesn't. And, like IBS, not that much is known about it, although it seems to be triggered in some people by overexertion, and some women do experience more of the discomfort during their cycles. You might want to look this up on the web (there's another name for it, too, just can't remember what it is - it's someone's name). Just a thought. Pray you heal from WHATEVER it is!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#5246 - 04/06/03 02:58 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I feel the same way. I have had tons of tests with normal results. Not many people are understanding and it is sad. I empathize with you. THat is why this board is so great; we are NOT alone!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#5251 - 04/06/03 04:22 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

If I didnt have you guys, I would actually believe myself that i was a hypochondriac, because everyone is constantly calling me that (especially my mom) Like when i refuse to eat a hamburger, she goes "its all in your mind, you're making yourself sick, you can eat that!" I absolutly detest it when she tries to convince me i dont have ibs!
"Tomrrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day to the last sylablle of recorded time"-macbeth

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Does anyone else feel like a hypochondriac around other people? Re: Angela new
      #5256 - 04/06/03 08:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I second that...every word! For YEARS I though the fact that my tummy was one size in the morning and two sizes larger by nightfall was my imagination...now I know it's REAL--it is SO helpful to know you're not alone! (I actually thought I had issues with my view of my body perception--but I didn't...I just had IBS!) Thanks everyone!

-<3-

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5282 - 04/07/03 05:12 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Chest pains here too! I often worry that it's my heart but I've had echocardiograms and nothing is wrong. As far as feeling like a hypochondriac. I feel sorry for myself sometimes because I'm not "normal" but I must be very lucky because my family and my boyfriend (of 5 1/2 years)are so helpful with my diet. Sometimes, I find myself getting annoyed with them when I ask for a little bite of a hamburger and they tell me "NO because it will make you sick". My boyfriend is the first one to plug in the heating pad or bring me water in the bathroom or lay next to me and rub my stomach. My mom is the one who I call if he's not home. I can imagine they're sick to death of me BUT they also love me and don't want to see me hurting. If I tell my family I can't eat something or I bring a replacement it's not personal and they know it. Frankly, I don't care anyways because my health needs to be #1 not their feelings. It may sound selfish but their feelings will heal but my IBS will not. Tell your family about your problem in detail - what it feels like in your stomach or how much time you spend in the bathroom with an attack. OR call them one time in the middle of an episode when you're crying and afraid you're going to black out. They'll back off and if they don't - forget about it. You are what's most important.

#5299 - 04/07/03 07:59 AM
Olgis

Reged: 02/04/03

Absolutely!

Itis even harder for me at work: We usually order in as we are a very busy desk (Trading)I always get "Make sure you give the menu to Olga last, as she has to check every item, ya da yada yada." At first, I felt awful, now, I just laugh it off. My colleagues are eating junk food, while I am eating healthy!

Olgis

#5553 - 04/09/03 11:19 AM
jpny1008

Reged: 02/13/03
Loc: Staten Island, New York

When I read Heather's book it was the first time I realized I was not alone. My family tolerates my food habits and refuses to try anything I cook deaming it "weird"! My friends deal with my attacks but I know that they get frustrated when I have to find a bathroom at a club or out shopping. My co-workers are the least understanding. I think they feel that I am making it up b/c my attacks frequently occur in the a.m. which make me late for work. (My boss thankfully is very understanding and flexible) I know this sounds like I am still pretty sick but it is actually a great inprovement. I don't care what anyone else thinks, it works for me and I feel so much better!!! You know what you feel so try not to let other peoples opinion bring you down.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review