All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Does anyone else feel like a hypochondriac around other people? new
      #3252 - 03/19/03 07:16 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Good luck with the job. I know how difficult it is to find an employer who is understanding about the frequent trips to the bathroom. Luckily mine doesn't ask too many questions.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#3258 - 03/19/03 08:19 AM
jones

Reged: 03/12/03

I get awful chest pains, I have often worried that it was my heart, but I get them on both sides of my chest. I get scared to move when I get them. I have had them for years and have just always thought it was gas. I haven't tracked them enough to know if it is near and around my menstrual cycles.

I feel like my coworkers think I'm a hypochondriac because I miss allot of time from work. I have tried to explain that I have a medical problem, but I don't think they believe me nor understand what IBS is and what I go through everyday.

#3260 - 03/19/03 08:25 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Have you asked your doctor about GERD? I got the same symptoms (stabbing pains on both sides of my chest near the centre?) and it is scary when it's that painful. I'm now on medication to control it (Pantoloc and Motilium a.k.a. Novo Domperidone) and this helps LOTS!!!!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#3261 - 03/19/03 08:37 AM
jones

Reged: 03/12/03

A few years ago my doc put me on previcid and eventually it stopped working so he gave me losec and it worked for about a year and now I'm on pantoloc. I find they help keep the heartburn at bay when they work but that I still get the chest pains occasionally. I do have to admit that I seem to get chest pains more when I forget to take my meds or when they start to stop working. I find when the adic gets bad, I also get a metal copper like taste in my mouth.

#3280 - 03/19/03 09:51 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

TessLouise - Good Luck on the job interview! Hope you get it!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re:Tess - Job interview new
      #3361 - 03/19/03 05:06 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Lots of luck. School is such a bizarre place to work in and have IBS. I used to never eat anything except toast and rice until after school for fear of having an attack. I couldn't leave the classroom. Well, some classes I could once they knew my expectations but others, NO WAY. I taught grade 7 and 8. Hormonal darlings. Anyway, my point to you is this: One year my principal cut some special ed lines (which I loved because I could go to the bathroom anytime then) and added more classes. I was tight lipped and upset. I went in the next day and told him why - that I have IBS and that more classes means that I can eat less. He was wonderful. He set up a support system where another teacher (special ed) could supervise my class in case of attack. All I had to do was run by their door on my way to the bathroom (2 hallways and a flight of stairs away) and send them to my classroom. All the resource teachers knew about my condition (I told them) and one other one even has IBS too. I finally realized that if you are working with a supportive staff, level with them. I got so much support. Once I had an emergency plan in place, I think I only had 2 attacks that year, and I was able to eat normally. The more I talk to people about IBS, the more people I realize will say "Oh, I know so and so has it, too." People in general are starting to realize this is serious. Take care and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Check about Gerd for the chest pains. new
      #3413 - 03/19/03 11:46 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I too suffer this and I find it settles then flares from time to time. I am on a new medication for this now called nexium and it seems to be quite good so far. It also helps with the nausea i get as well.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#5151 - 04/04/03 04:50 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

I can empathize: families know us too well, and often think we 're "crying wolf" - especially if we have other chronic conditions, like allergies, CFS, chronic anxiety, depression, etc. I think managing our foods without causing a big "disruption" or drawing too much attention to ourselves will eventually make this a non-issue for most reasonable people. Yes, Moms and feeding their children is an emotional issue, even unconciously - but maybe telling Mom privately and gently how much you enjoyed her cooking, and how many fond memories you have of it, will soften her up for the truth of the matter: that you just can't eat it any more, and it's not her fault. Maybe she'll eventually want to learn some special recipe from Heather's book, just for you!

Regarding eating out, I think a good reply to well-meaning people who offer us food might be, "That's so kind of you, and it looks delicious! Unfortunately, my doctor has me on a food elimination diet for a while to determine what might be upsetting my tummy. Maybe next time!" Then, you may not see these people again, or, if you do, you can expand then and tell them a little more: "My doctor discovered that I have a severe reaction to certain foods or combination of foods, so for now, I'm on a pretty strict diet. Thanks for understanding." If they press you to have "just one", you might say, kind of mischievously, "Well, it might be worth a trip to the ER...maybe I will!" Bet she backs off! Some people just have to be hit over the head - KINDLY and with humor, preferably! You don't have to divulge too much information (like what the severe reaction is!), or the fact that this is really a wholesale lifestyle change - I think we can reserve that type of "in-depth" response for people we interact with on a daily basis, or have deep relationships with. That's just going to be my strategy!

#5166 - 04/04/03 10:14 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

When I was first having problems I hated going to family functions, because I couldn't eat what they were preparing. I went home and broke down everytime,because they would tell me it was all in my head. The straw that broke the camels back was when I went to my brother's house for a barbeque. I noticed he was preparing ribs, which is a real no no for me. I said I was going to go buy some chicken for me because I am unable to eat the ribs. He got in my face and said,"You come over here and see what I'm making and then tell me you're going to buy chicken?" How rude. either you eat this or leave. I told him I couldn't eat it, that it upsets my intestinal track. He said, "It's all in your head." I yelled at him, that I wish I didn't have this problem. I wish I could eat all the foods I'm unable to eat now. I wish I could eat and enjoy ice cream, ribs, and corn, but I can't." "I wish all of you would understand and accept it. I can't help it, and I can't fix it!" I ran out of thier house and was in tears. I talked to my husband, (who was my boyfriend and support system at that time), who was out of town. He suggested I write my family a letter about my illness, and get some info off the internet and mail it to them. I did and what a complete turn around. My parents called me and apoligized for my brothers behavior. My brother called me and apoligized too. He didn't realize that what I had was so severe and it wasn't my fault at all. Now when they have dinners, everyone will tell me what they are serving and I bring what I can eat. I also make a dairy free dessert, which everyone loves.

So I know how you feel. I've been there.

I'm so glad i found this board to vent, meet others who have IBS like me, and get ideas on how to help with it.

Karen

#5175 - 04/05/03 06:55 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I know what you are talking about - the problem is that most people aren't informed about this illness (?) and so they can't really understand what it means for us.

Usually I just say I have to be careful what I eat so I don't get a dodgy stomach. When they hear that, they aren't usually inclined to hear the details!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1917 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review