All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fruit smootie blends?
      #315032 - 09/14/07 04:40 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

I was just at my university cafeteria, they have a Mr. Sub there which is perfect. However, I was grabbing a Dasani and then I noticed a bunch of bottled smoothie juices. I've seen these are grocery stores (different brands Bolthouse Farms, Artur's Smoothies, Happy Planet). Anyways, this one is called Odwalla Smoothie. They have lots of flavours but I noticed Strawberry Banana one. Its ingredients are Strawberry Puree, Apple Juice, Orange Juice, Banana Puree, and Ascorbic Acid.

Is it safe? I know Heather says to drink only cranberry juice, but I was wondering if that is because they add a bunch a crap to it. This smoothie is all natural and had no added stuff. It is really expense. for 450ml its $4. the website is www.odwalla.com.

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's much cheaper to make your own.... new
      #315068 - 09/15/07 06:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Apple and orange juice are really acidic and not good for the tummy. You might be able to tolerate small amounts, but I wouldn't recommend them often. To make your own simple smoothie, throw a banana, a touch of honey, whatever fresh or frozen fruit you want, soy milk and some ice into a blender. Much better tasting and much cheaper.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: fruit smootie blends? I've had Odwalla brand before new
      #315094 - 09/16/07 12:56 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

and I've also had Naked Juice brand smoothies. They are immensely expensive, but they don't bother me at all. Just try to remember to not drink them on an empty tummy. Sometimes I'm so hungry/thirsty I'll grab one and gulp part of it down before I think, oh yeah, my tummy's empty. Ooops. It's true though, making your own is so much cheaper and more economical. Ascorbic acid is just vitamin C. I've had Naked Juice more often than Odwalla but they are nice because they don't have added 'stuff' in them.

One of these days I would love to have a Juicer and a new blender.

Another thing I do when I do buy these types of smoothie blends is I don't drink them all at once, I space it out into a couple of servings. I drink some, put the cap back on and save the rest for later. They are by far not cheap, but I'll treat myself to one or a few once every month or so if I have the money.

And like with all things, your tolerances may be different than other people's. It probably won't hurt you to try one.

HTH

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: It's much cheaper to make your own.... new
      #315095 - 09/16/07 01:01 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Agreed. Sometimes instead of ice I use frozen unsweetened fruit, instead of fresh. My usual staples include soy yogurt too (plain or vanilla or any other flavor), unsweetened soy milk, vanilla, banana, unsweetened frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, and honey. If I end up making too much I refrigerate ro freeze the leftovers for later or the next day.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: It's much cheaper to make your own.... new
      #315124 - 09/16/07 05:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My smoothies are made with one frozen fruit and one fresh fruit, vanilla soy milk and my dose of acacia fiber.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2936

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review