All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Snob? new
      #315187 - 09/17/07 06:50 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I just had to put my two-cents in on this one because I've been reading the replies for the past week and just love most of them! I am completely blessed to have wonderful co-workers (I am a teacher) and although I have to avoid 99% of what is in the faculty room, my colleagues still offer me things to eat and ask me if I can have some. They never get bent out of shape when I say "no." However, I have dealt with other people being complete jerks about my diet. I am a member of an ultimate frisbee league, and am close with many of the people I play with. It's tradition to hit up a local pub after we play at night, and of course I don't drink. My friends are totally cool with it, but new people are constantly joining the league. Just recently this guy who thinks he's all that at frisbee was at the pub after the game and saw me drinking just a water. His comment was "What, you just go to bars and stand around and not drink?" (complete with a sneer). When I said that I can't drink because of health reasons, he just cut me off and said "yeah, yeah, right." Not only was it rude to cut me off, but I was seeing red since he has absolutely NO IDEA what it is like. Yes, I'd love to enjoy a beer with everyone else, but I know that it's just not worth it in terms of my IBS. Personally, I think there are plenty of adults out there who need to go back to elementary school and re-learn the golden rule: "Treat others how you would like to be treated." So I hear you, I sympathize, and don't ever let people like that get to you. I know how truly hard it is to ignore hurtful comments sometime, but honestly, you shouldn't even have to listen to insensitive, shallow jerks like that (I could use better adjectives, but there would a bleep every other letter ). Just pretend they don't exist and realize that those people who truly care about you love you for who you are and would never judge you just because of what you eat...we're all with you on this

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#315203 - 09/18/07 06:17 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Problem:
Quote:

His comment was "What, you just go to bars and stand around and not drink?" (complete with a sneer). When I said that I can't drink because of health reasons, he just cut me off and said "yeah, yeah, right." Not only was it rude to cut me off, but I was seeing red since he has absolutely NO IDEA what it is like.

Solution:
At your next frisbee match, "accidently" aim the frisbee directly at problem's head. That ought to make him squeal, "geez, watch it will ya?!", to which you reply, with a sneer no less, "I'm so sorry! I'm sober now, can you imagine what would happen if I had a drink???"

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#315210 - 09/18/07 08:32 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

so since we have instituted this thread my boss at work has told me I have anerexia like 10 times. she had anerexia, and considers herself better now. She eats kfc, entire watermelons,and fast food junk everyday. I have been really tired lately and depressed her answer is I have anerexia, and have to eat food with fat, I brought her Ibs info,and she said she covered up her anerexia by saying she had a stomach condition. I was mostly vegetarian when I started there but have been eating chicken and fish, since I'm anemic, and soy, which had been my protein was becoming hard to tolerate. i finnaly said I understood she'd had a hard time and that she had gotten better, but that not every sensitive stomach was anerexia, and that I have had doctors diagnose my Ibs. She then asked when I was going to see my doc again, so he could fix this. To which I have to admit I just got steamed and said, "when I get medical insurance!" That pretty well ended that, since my company supposedly has benifeits but I've never seen them. sorry to rant but I spent all day yesterday crying.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

To Dizzy ( Awwww) new
      #315211 - 09/18/07 09:12 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Oh, you poor thing!

My mother doesn't know anything about IBS or allergies. She says she never heard of anything like that in Ukraine. She thinks that I dieted myself so hard that I got IBS. I never dieted! And my sister, every time she sees me, she says: "Will you at least eat some bread? You look terrible!" My dad told me: "It's good to see you smile again. You used to come around, whining and complaining about your health all the time…" So, lately I have been telling my family that I'm doing fine, even if I am not.

You're not alone!

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315242 - 09/18/07 05:10 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

You guys are gonna have to start the "Don't Let Wendy Come Up Here" foundation so that I can have the funds to visit a few people, you know, give 'em a talking to...

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: To caitlineb new
      #315245 - 09/18/07 06:17 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I will try to get toned without going to the gym, then. Hmm, I do have Carmen Electra's strip tease DVDs... I think those are dusty, because I've only tried 'em once!! Let's just say I'm not the most coordinated chick out there.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

Re: Snob? - Wendy new
      #315251 - 09/18/07 07:20 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Oh my gosh, you totally made me laugh hysterically with your comment! And don't worry, since then I've managed to throw a couple discs a bit close to his noggin, although none of them have actually hit to knock any sense into him, hehe. Luckily, he's definitely one of those guys who is all talk, and most people in the league really can't stand that, so I'm not the only one who has issues with him. But I will definitely use the response you suggested if he happens to be stupid enough to say anything You rock!

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Re: To Dizzy ( Awwww) new
      #315268 - 09/19/07 01:23 AM
Dizzy

thanks so much, I'm ussually really good at not letting that kind of stuff bother me. I think that I'm just going to let it roll off, I can't change the way other people think, just me.

--------------------

#315269 - 09/19/07 01:25 AM
Dizzy

hee hee. beware the Ibs chickletts! we will breaka your knee caps, and then offer you a big slice of fat free angel food cake!

--------------------

Re: To caitlineb
      #315270 - 09/19/07 01:29 AM
Dizzy

Omg! I have those too, the fit to strip, more workoutish onem is actully pretty good! the others though, I find really sort of silly, but alot of fun, and an interesting adition to your home dvd library. I've had morbidly curious freinds borrow them a couple times. everyone agrees that the workout one is pretty good.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 471 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26305

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review