All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What to do about adding in veggies&fruits...all i have been eating is soluble fiber for months??
      #314913 - 09/12/07 05:02 PM
alli327

Reged: 06/26/07
Loc: New Jersey IBS-A

SO I have been eating nothing but bagels, luna bars, chicken, tuna, pasta, baked chips, soft pretzels, rice cakes etc etc..for months and i know i have to start adding back in my fruits and vegetables but I AM SOO AFRIAD!...can anyone tell me the absolute safest vegetables and fruits to add in?? and is it absolutely horrible that i have been eating like this for about 6 months!?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to do about adding in veggies&fruits...all i have been eating is soluble fiber for months?? new
      #314914 - 09/12/07 05:41 PM
Pnut

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Ontario, CAN

I am in exactly the same boat as you are alli. I've just been to scared to make a move. However, I have been adding pureed canned pumpkin or applesauce to my oatmeal (both are on the cheat sheet). But that's as much fruit and veg as I'm getting. I would also love to know what safe fruit and veg I should start to add first ! Thanks.
P.S. This is my very fist post on these message boards.

Re: What to do about adding in veggies&fruits...all i have been eating is soluble fiber for months?? new
      #314915 - 09/12/07 05:41 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

You need some form of produce!! Introduce applesauce and cooked carrots, maybe? or ripe bananas, those are really good. I was just like you! Sooo afraid of fruits and veggies! It is scary, but it is also VERY necessary. You will get used to them; just be sure to go slow. try out some fruit/veggie recipes from the message boards or from heather's cook book. Precede veggie consumption with soluble fiber, or somehow mix the two. Like, have a big pile of rice with some veggies on top. start small! you should be fine. good luck!!

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#314916 - 09/12/07 05:52 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

When I started adding veggies back in, I made sure to cook them very very well. You might have to peel some veggies or take out the seeds. I now eat cooked carrots, tomatos, spinach, olives, mushrooms, zuchinni and squash.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#314917 - 09/12/07 06:47 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

The best way I started adding them back in was in muffins. I bake blueberry, mixed berry & banana muffin. You've got the IF built right into the SF this way. Great for mid-day snacks, too. Applesauce is great, carrots, corn, and squash. Try one for a few days, if it's good add another. Just go slow, but you do need some fruits and veggies. Welcome Pnut!

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#314921 - 09/12/07 07:13 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I took the advice I found on this board and started with vegetable baby foods. I'm now up to cooked carrots and asparagus and a little tomatoe now and then. Still working on adding more. I've never had a problem with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and bananas, but I also eat the fruit baby food sometimes also.

Re: Abby - olives new
      #314922 - 09/12/07 07:22 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hi Abby,

Just wondering - what kind of olives do you eat? Does it make a difference if they are black or green? Do you buy them marinated in oil or packed in water etc., and do you cook them too?

thanks.. I always loved olives and I miss them!

Jodie

Re: Abby - olives new
      #314926 - 09/13/07 01:41 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

I eat baby black olives, in water and I cook them really well

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#314929 - 09/13/07 06:48 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

You might also want to try fruits in smoothies like strawberry-banana or blueberryj-banana, etc. I've also had luck with the frozen fruit pulps that you can get in your supermarket like papaya, mango, mamey (my favorite) and I blend it with soy milk and a bit of vanilla extract. JAT

In my oatmeal, I'll occasionally add dried cranberries that I've put through the food processor to break them down a bit. I've been able to eat bananas on their own without a problem too.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will definitely take them into consideration new
      #315001 - 09/13/07 06:43 PM
alli327

Reged: 06/26/07
Loc: New Jersey IBS-A

#315102 - 09/16/07 02:41 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I eat baby food sometimes too, fruits or veggies.

Eat your veggies with an SF base that's safe for you like rice or potatoes or bread.

Don't stress, eat the fruits/veggies in small quantities and a little bit at a time. Prepare your fruits and veggies by cooking them longer so they are softer and have started to break down during the cooking process so there is less work for your intestines to do. Even though the peel is supposed to be healthier to leave on, it is sometimes a trigger for IBS because of the higher IF content. So peel everything. Seed stuff too (like tomatoes and cucumbers) Cook, mash, puree.

Smoothies are good too, because they break up the food into smaller pieces, or liquify them so there's less digestive work to do. Start small, and again, drink smoothies with a safe SF base. Like a rice cake or half a bagel. I love frozen, unsweetened strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries with half a banana, some unsweetened soy milk, a bit of vanilla, and a little honey.

And again, just take it easy, take it slow. Try to not stress so much, but just remain conscious of what your body is telling you. Not everyone can tolerate every fruit or every veggie. Since you've eliminated them, you can slowly add in one at a time back into your diet and find out what works for you.

Good luck to you, DianeM, I know it can be tough to face certain foods after so long, but it is important to eat your fruits and veggies.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#315103 - 09/16/07 02:53 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

That's a good start, applesauce and pureed pumpkin in oatmeal.

I honestly started with baby food. I always loved Gerber's Appleauce, so I just went from there and tried a little bit of everything and I made sure I had some SF as a base. There's sweet potato, carrots, and various fruit blends from Gerber 2nd foods that I still eat now and then.

I can eat various veggies/fruits now; carrots, brocolli, zuchinni, cucumbers (seeded), tomatoes (seeded), onions (I LOVE onions), strawberries, cranberries, and other berries, apples... etc. of course i have to eat in small quantites and with SF. I accidentally made the mistake of eating nearly 1 lb of strawberries all by myself all in one sitting, with nothing else. Boy did I regret that! They were so yummy and I couldn't quit eating them! But after that, I couldn't quit staying out of the bathroom. I had D and a nasty tummy ache for half a day. So don't eat huge quantities and don't eat them without SF, that's a good basic rule I've found to work for me. It's just common sense and trial and error.

Good luck, Pnut, and welcome to the board!

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6077 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review