All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HELP, I'm Pulling my Hair Out
      #314697 - 09/07/07 11:02 AM
aworkman307

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Krum, TX

So I call my GI Doc to let him know that I have started this new diet and have seen so wonderful changes but am still suffering from D at least 5 times a day which is great compared to the 10-20 a day I was going......so he tells me the diet is great keep up the good work but he wants to put me on a med called Questran, since he removed my GalleBladder in 2000 he thinks this med will help with my IBS.....That whole statement does not make any since to me....Do I have IBS? or are my Problems due to the fact that I have no GallBladder? Then I go to my PDR and look up Questran it says its a drug used for Cholestrol....Whats up with that..I know many drugs have diffrent uses than what they were first found to work on....But when I ask my Dr. these questions he says just to stay on te diet and take the new mends I'll should feel better in a week or so....I've been batteling this since 2000 so for 7 years the first 4 undiganoised and the last 3 as IBS......But is IBS really my problem?

please help I feel like Pulling my hair out I realy am at my wits end here.

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/aworkman307

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP, I'm Pulling my Hair Out new
      #314703 - 09/07/07 11:41 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I believe in the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Why, if you've not been taking this medication, does he think you need it now if your D has subsided? Questran is an antidiarrheal, right? There's also a Questran Light--I went to the AskAPatient website to see what others were taking it for and what reactions, if any, they had. Most were all positive.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#314705 - 09/07/07 12:06 PM
aworkman307

It is general used as a cholestrol lowing medication but it is supposed to(Dr. Words not mine) Bind the the bile secretion in to my lower intestine........what ever that actually means....I am off to see my PCP to get his oppinnion on the whole thing....Let you know what he thinks.

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#314712 - 09/07/07 03:22 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

When someone has her gall bladder removed there's no holding tank for the bile acids made by the liver. This can result in those acids being dumped directly into the digestive system too much, too fast. This understandably annoys the heck out of the digestive system which responds by trying to get rid of everything in it as fast as possible. Voila! Diarrhea. Questran binds those bile acids and keeps them from annoying the digestive tract which eases the diarrhea.

Your doctor seems a little confused - excess bile acid is not the same as IBS - but perhaps he thinks you have both excess bile acid and IBS.

I'd much rather have excess bile acid controllable by a safe med than IBS so I'd find out if there are any undesirable side-effects from the Questran and if not, I'd probably give it a try. (Although I'd stick with Heather's eating guidelines until I saw how the Questran was working out.)

web page

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#314715 - 09/07/07 04:59 PM
aworkman307

I went and saw my PCP and he agrees that the questran would be a safe a good shot....He (my PCP) doesn't agree that i have IBS he thinks it is simple a matter of to much bile being dumped...LOL he actullay called it Dumping Syndrome
The only side effect he warned me of if I choose to take the questran is that it can make me very C and I would have to watch my self very closely...He suggested a very small does to start for the first two weeks...My PCP thinks that I would see very fast improvement....But says it will take a while to see full improvement due to the fact that I have had this problem for the last 7 years he says my colon is more than likely seriously inflamed and very irratated....So I filled the Questran and it ain't cheap when you don't have Ins...So I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying that this is the problem....and yes I will stay on the Diet more than likely even if the meds do work....However I might have to slip a few hot wings in now and again
Thanks for all the support

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#314729 - 09/08/07 08:38 AM
Sand

Sounds like you have a plan. If the Questran starts making you C be sure to up your IF.

When I said to stick with Heather's diet, I only meant until you're sure the Questran is working and your gut has had a chance to stop being so irritated all the time. If that happens, I'd definitely add back in some stuff I really missed - like your hot wings.

I believe there is a generic version of Questran but there seems to be some sentiment that it might not work as well. You could discuss it with your doctor the next time you see him or get yourself stabilized on the real Questran then see if switching to a generic keeps you there.

Good luck with this. I truly hope Questran turns out to be just what you need.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#314733 - 09/08/07 09:13 AM
aworkman307

Thanks for the support....I started the Questran this morning and while it does not taste bad(orange flavored) it is as thick as sand and a little hard to swallow.....but mixed with water it taste much like Tang only very very very thick.....I did half nad half .....half in my water and half in my applesauce...I can say it was easier to drink it than it was to eat it.....I will be sticking to drinking it from now on it goes down a litte faster.....Part of the reason it is so thick is it is a 4oz packet and you mix it with 4oz of water or juice and drink...then you have to fill up the cup again just to make sure you got all the medicine the first time around....So again thanks for all the support and I will let you know how it works out. Keeping my finegers crossed and praying that this will work.

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

Making Questran palatable new
      #314736 - 09/08/07 10:22 AM
Sand

Here's an old thread about Questran - maybe one of the suggestions will help:

web page

--------------------

Re: Making Questran palatable new
      #314738 - 09/08/07 12:42 PM
aworkman307

Thanks Sand.....The dose I took in my water was not so bad just realy gritty..But the applesauce on te other hand was pretty rough and it kinda made me feel very nauesa for about an 1hour after taking it so I will try it tommorow with water and maybe some toast and see if that will help settle my stomach.....I don't know about the whole slushie thing I don't do well with cold stuff frist thing in the morning....So i'll try agian in the morning and let you know...On a postive note I have had only one movenment today it was not D YEAH

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

Today I Cheated new
      #314757 - 09/09/07 05:14 PM
aworkman307

So today is day three on the new meds and they taste horrible but i am seeing results already.....I fuged a little today I had nachos with real cheese and sour cream and nothing happened I also drank a soda(coke to be exact)
This would have usual sent me in to a downward spiral and severe pain but with the new meds nothing......I want to get excited but am I have done so before and it didn't last......So I am keeping my fingers crossed that this Questran is the answer to all my prayers......Will keep everyoner posted.

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

Re: Today I Cheated new
      #314763 - 09/09/07 07:33 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I'm cheering on for you!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: Today I Cheated new
      #314797 - 09/10/07 09:15 PM
aworkman307

thanks Wendee....I hope goes well for you with the Dr. Vists

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review