All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Grapes
      #314608 - 09/05/07 04:06 PM

Unregistered

Does anyone know if Grapes are a safe food? I had to buy a bunch for my nephew, but he only comes over on the weekends so if it starts to get sloggy I was wondering if that was one I could use with my SF and IF combo? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Grapes new
      #314610 - 09/05/07 04:34 PM
CubanMistletoe

Reged: 05/04/07

I personally handle grapes alright (just ate about a half cup of them, actually), but I imagine they would be dicey for some people. you kind of just have to experiment.

#314611 - 09/05/07 04:35 PM
CubanMistletoe

Reged: 05/04/07

I forgot to add that you have to eat them with plenty of SF, but I'm sure you already knew that.

#314613 - 09/05/07 05:16 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Grapes for me are a guaranteed IBS attack in the making. I avoid them always... but that's just me!

#314622 - 09/05/07 07:35 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I can tolerate most veggies and fruits, but I do get gas from them. I take beano to prevent that. Everything that has thick skin on them (apples, grapes) tend to go down harder. When I eat an apple with hard skin I can actually feel it going down my stomach and scratching it. I buy organic soft apples. If grapes have seeds in them, it might give you gas.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#314637 - 09/06/07 07:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Grapes contain more fructose than glucose. I have a sensitivity to excess fructose. Grapes always give me D.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#314690 - 09/06/07 07:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

For me grapes are the most troublesome fruit. I can handle raisins better. Grapes, then melons are the riskiest. I also cannot drink grape wine and I don't think it is anything but IBS causing this. I would try other fruits before grapes.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#314707 - 09/07/07 01:20 PM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I'm bad with Grapes, worse with Apples and laying in the tub for days with D and V with a single raisin... Bad bad raisins....

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

#314713 - 09/07/07 03:29 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I do fine with grapes. They do, of course, need to be cushioned with SF. There's a grape, chicken, almond, pasta salad on the Recipe Board that's one of my favorites.

I haven't tried it myself, but apparently you can freeze grapes. Here are a couple of Websites that describe how to do it:

Freezing grapes 1

Freezing grapes 2

I imagine they'd be yummy about half-thawed - soft enough to bite into but still slushy. If you decide to have some yourself, just remember that super-cold foods can be tough on IBSers.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#314716 - 09/07/07 05:07 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

omg! I tottally forgot about frozen grapes, my mom used to freeze them for us as kids, they taste like grape popsicles! especially the white ones....

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2931 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9814

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review