All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Still not feeling great
      #314480 - 09/03/07 05:30 AM
LRK

Reged: 08/28/07

I started my daughter (17 yrs old) on the IBS diet on Wed. She suffers mostly from constipation. She has been eating only soluble foods and is still constipated. We finally cheated and she took some dulcolax on Sat because she was feeling so bad. She is feeling much better otherwise - hardly any stomach aches like she was having. She is drinking water (probably not as much as she should be and taking two citrocel tablets - she forgets to take the other two in the evening. I should add that she's anemic, and has been taking iron supplements as well, which I am sure is adding to the problem. She stopped taking iron for a few days but is feeling tired so really needs to stay on them. She also got her period on Thursday.

Any thoughts? I think she is really getting tired of the diet, but she's a trooper and will do anything if it will help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

LRK

Edited by LRK (09/03/07 06:03 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Still not feeling great new
      #314498 - 09/03/07 09:53 AM
aworkman307

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Krum, TX

I myself suffer from anemia and I have IBS-D but with too much iron it makes a C'....This being said after explaining this too my doctor I now go in to see her once a month for an injection of B Vitamins and my anemia is on the mind at the moment and no bad side affects....Just something to ask the doc about...Hope she gets to feeling better...Oh and when I do get C I eat a jar of Baby Food Prunes it works great and is not harsh on my stomach......Good Luck

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/aworkman307

#314520 - 09/03/07 06:45 PM
LRK

Thanks, she happens to be going to the doctor on Thursday, so I'll mention this. I started her on some of the other foods today -- she can't insoluble fiber alone forever!! We are still experimenting with this diet - not sure it's the solution.....

LRK

#314521 - 09/03/07 07:28 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm not anemic and I started out as a D, but I just wanted to mention that it takes quite a while to see if the diet is working. It is easy to get discouraged, I know, but if your daughter sticks with it, she should at least feel better, even if not all symptoms are gone. For example, my d is under control, but I still battle gas/bloating. C people will need a lot of IF to make them "go" and this can take some time to work up to when first starting with the break the cycle diet. So encourage your daughter to hang in there at least for a month to see if things are starting to improve. It can take much longer to stabalize (for me it took about 7 months but I felt SOOO much better after about two months). Good luck.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#314529 - 09/04/07 02:46 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I use Miralax daily to help ease the going. It's not a harsh laxative like some of the others. I was able to cut my dose down to half after a few months and will be cutting more out soon. Someone said something about B12 injections. If the B vitamins help, you can also try adding nutritional yeast to some of the foods (potatoes). It has a slight cheesy flavor but has the B vitamins.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#314547 - 09/04/07 11:48 AM
LRK

Wow! that is very encouraging. She went to bed last night feeling kind of lousy - her stomach was hurting again, I put her back on straight soluble fiber again today. I am worried that she's not getting the other important food groups - however she really feels pretty good eating like this right now - except that she is far from regular!! I guess a few more days and maybe a slow reintroduction of the other foods may be the way to go. We went a little overboard yesterday - she had tuna sandwhich for lunch with fat free mayonaise and a grilled turkey burger for dinner - along with soluble fiber foods.

Thanks for your encouraging words and we won't give up yet!

LRK

#314548 - 09/04/07 11:54 AM
LRK

I would rather stay away from injections - so maybe the yeast may help - especially if it adds a cheesy flavor - I think that's what she misses most! Our dr recommended miralax as well - I can't get her to drink - she's better off with some sort of tablet.

Thanks for your help!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1532 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2617

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review