All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Graduate Student in need of Caffeine!
      #314285 - 08/30/07 10:18 AM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a caffeine alternative. I am a first year grad student with a LOT of reading to do and when the professor tells you to consume caffeine to get through certain books... I know I am in trouble!! I have tried just eating sugar but that does not work.

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Graduate Student in need of Caffeine! new
      #314296 - 08/30/07 10:59 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Even though I'm done with school, I can totally relate. I would find myself consuming more caffeine and getting sicker. I have totally given up caffeine, but I'm out of school now.

The best suggestion I have is to drink tons of water while studying. Staying hydrated makes you more alert and having to get up every 1/2 hr to pee will help too.

#314302 - 08/30/07 11:49 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

Hi!
I just got out of school and got through it doing tea instead of coffee, peppermint, passion fruit, any really tangy strong tea kept me perky and alert, and yeah the bathroom breaks help, definitly don't do caffeine, it's not worth it, and you could miss classes, when your tummy says no to that really powerful trigger!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#314305 - 08/30/07 11:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Sugar will perk you up but the crash is inevitable so instead try eating small frequent snacks that include protein. For example, fix a sandwich of sliced chicken, low or non-fat mayo, and a safe bread, then eat it a quarter at a time over a few hours. That will keep your blood sugar level a little more stable and will also force you to take a break every so often to eat. And if you could walk around a little when you take your break that would help, too.

If you really want to "cheat" and get a tiny bit of caffeine, you can try making a cup of tea with the caffeine taken off. Take a regular tea bag - Lipton is fine or any flavor you like - and pour boiling water over it. Let it steep for 1 minute, then remove the bag and pour the tea out. Use the same bag to make another mug of tea and remove the tea bag as soon as you get some color. This will keep most of the caffeine out of your mug but you will still get a tiny bit and that - combined with the psychological effect - might help. Don't drink a lot of this, though - there is still some caffeine in it and the tannins in tea can be hard on IBSers. I never have more than one of these a day but it can really help when that afternoon crash hits.

HTH. Good luck with your studies.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1065

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review