All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What's a normal BM for IBS-Ds?
      #314209 - 08/29/07 03:16 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm so frustrated. I've been following the diet for several weeks and my BMs are still mushy. I'm also quite gassy. I take 2 tsp of Acacia three times a day, and started to increase my afternoon dose by 1/2 teaspoon, up to 3 tsp now (after a couple of weeks of increasing it.) I wonder, perhaps the acacia is a problem for me. Metamucil was too grinding. Any thoughts? And what's normal in terms of BMs for you stable D-ers?
Thanks for your feedback...I always feel better, at least comforted, after hearing from ya'll.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's a normal BM for IBS-Ds? new
      #314229 - 08/29/07 04:12 PM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

I am still working things out...but normal for me is 1 formed bm in the morning, same at night. When I increase Acacia over 1 tsp 1/4...I get a bit less formed bms. Have you tried stablizing at a lower dose?

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

#314283 - 08/30/07 09:18 AM
Digby

You take 1 & 1/4 tsp of Acacia how many times per day? Interesting that you get less formed BMs with a higher dose. I'll try stabilizing at a lower dose. Thanks for the info!

Why does Acacia cause looser stools at higher doses? new
      #314320 - 08/30/07 03:18 PM
Digby

Some folks with IBS-D have commented on this. At a lower dose they are more stable.

Re: Why does Acacia cause looser stools at higher doses? new
      #314327 - 08/30/07 04:09 PM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

I take 1/2 tsp am/pm..and 1/4 middle of the day..That said, I get a bit constipated..and I am D. I thought I would up my acacia to see if it would help...then I got some urgency. I plan on staying on the current dose 1tps 1/4 daily...and see how it goes.

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

#314336 - 08/30/07 06:50 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I have the same question!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#314424 - 09/01/07 09:49 AM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I have the peppermint tea before every meal with some bread or crakers- We call this my Appetizer! I have been using Benefiber power. I sprinkle it on top real light and even on my mid day meal- I'm using one teaspoon.

I started the diet and this routine about two weeks ago and have had four days this week of hunky hunks. It took awhile it seems for my body to get the hang of it- but it will! I even ate out chinese and at Olive Garden in those two weeks. I probably back slide a little at my time of the month- but It can't take away the great qualtity of life I've had for these two weeks.

I used to have D 10-20 times a day- everyday for the last- for as long as I can remember now. It's amazing. My surgery was in response to some physical problems I developed in "that area" as a result of constant D. And the coloitis- a response to an infection C-Diff as I recovered from the surgery.

Stay positive- You're eating to live- not living to eat...

Virtual hugs! LJ

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Question for CastAway new
      #314429 - 09/01/07 11:41 AM
Digby

Do you take 1 tsp Benefiber total for the day, or 1 tsp two times a day? And just to clarify, have you only been on the diet and the Benefiber for two weeks? Thanks for your response! (And I appreciate the hugs)

#314436 - 09/01/07 02:00 PM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

This is so good to know! I was wondering why I had looser stools taking a tablespoon of acacia right before dinner. I actually got rid of my dose before lunch and my afternoon goes better. Also, I upped my morning dose to 1 tablespoon, which seems to get me through until dinner, but after dinner is almost always gas and looser stools. It just might be because of the acacia before dinner. I've had that no matter if i take one, two, or three tsps. Does anyone out there just do a morning dose and that gets them through the day? I know you are supposed to use acacia more often, but I'm curious if other people get by on a morning dose and that's it. Let me know!

#314439 - 09/01/07 04:42 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I take 1/2 tsp of acacia twice a day - I started with 1/4 tsp once a day, and saw improvement in the D the next day. It was so sudden that I haven't been that anxious to increase it much - I'm afraid that I would swing to C. I seem to be doing well on my present dose, so I'm staying where I am.

Bump for Kat new
      #314461 - 09/02/07 01:58 PM
Digby

#314463 - 09/02/07 02:10 PM
aworkman307

Loc: Krum, TX

I have found that just doing a morning dose works great fro me...That being said I drink a Gatorade in the mornings and I add 2 tablespoons of Acacia to my drink....With my luch and dinner meal I take one gas-x tablet to help with the gas and bolating....This has been a life saver for me

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/aworkman307

#314485 - 09/03/07 05:57 AM
commish

Reged: 05/19/07
Loc: canada

I have just been doing the 1/2 tsp in the morning and before I go to bed. It has worked for me through the day-I may try it at lunch but so far I do not think I need it.

#314501 - 09/03/07 11:02 AM
Cast_Away

Loc: Orlando, Florida

I only use the benefiber once a day. I haven't tried the acacia yet- and may not since I am doing good now.

I remember reading somewhere in the pharmacutical includes that Gas-X contains some of the same ingredients as one of the prescriptions for bloating and gas.

I also notice that if I don't over-eat and really try to have more small meals the bloating and pain are not so bad.

Keep experimenting. Everyone's body is different. Don't give up. Remember for us- We are eating to live, while the rest of the world lives to eat!

Virtual Hugs, LJ

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5273 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5685

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review