All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
More Questions From Moi
      #314124 - 08/28/07 07:44 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

1. The soy milk that I buy has an expiration date within a month. The bottle, however, says that it's good for 7 days from opening. I don't use soy milk everyday and will use it after the 7 days because it hasn't expired yet. Is this ok?

2. If I use Acacia in a drink or in a moist meal and I don't completely finish drinking or eating, I guess that means that I didn't consume my dosage of Acacia, correct?

3. Can I use Turkey Bologna or do I have to find a deli and make the deli dude slice up a chicken or turkey breast for me? How long would that keep?

4. All of Heather's recipes are soluble. That means that I can take any of her recipes and have it as my first meal on an empty stomach?

5. I can't find baked Tostitos but I know that Corn Tortillas are safe since they are soluble. How about if I took a couple of discs and baked them in the oven, sprayed with Canola oil and have that instead?

6. I soooo miss spaghetti and meatballs. Can I have pasta with Amy's tomato sauce (I think that's the name) with turkey meatballs? (Please say yes!)

Thanks for taking the time! (There's one more but I can't remember. It'll come to me!)

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: More Questions From Moi new
      #314133 - 08/28/07 09:12 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

1. The soy milk that I buy has an expiration date within a month. The bottle, however, says that it's good for 7 days from opening. I don't use soy milk everyday and will use it after the 7 days because it hasn't expired yet. Is this ok? I'll usually use it up to ten days after opening. After that, I'm not too sure if it's safe or just that it loses flavor.

2. If I use Acacia in a drink or in a moist meal and I don't completely finish drinking or eating, I guess that means that I didn't consume my dosage of Acacia, correct?
That sounds right!
3. Can I use Turkey Bologna or do I have to find a deli and make the deli dude slice up a chicken or turkey breast for me? Is that a Bologna substitute? It should probably be okay. How long would that keep? From the deli, only a couple of days I think. The prepackaged keeps longer.

4. All of Heather's recipes are soluble. That means that I can take any of her recipes and have it as my first meal on an empty stomach? They're not all soluble because she also incorporates IF in a lot of recipes, but they are soluble-based. Do you mean first meal of the day? Yes, they should be fine! And delicious!

5. I can't find baked Tostitos but I know that Corn Tortillas are safe since they are soluble. How about if I took a couple of discs and baked them in the oven, sprayed with Canola oil and have that instead? I've tried that with flour tortillas, but corn should work just as well. You could also sprinkle some seasoning on them for extra flavor.

6. I soooo miss spaghetti and meatballs. Can I have pasta with Amy's tomato sauce (I think that's the name) with turkey meatballs? (Please say yes!) YES! I also like Newman's Own Marinara Sauce and Newman's Own Mushroom Marinara (no HFCS). Enjoy!

Thanks for taking the time! (There's one more but I can't remember. It'll come to me!)

#314148 - 08/29/07 06:12 AM
BendeeWendee

Quote:

Quote:

1. The soy milk that I buy has an expiration date within a month. The bottle, however, says that it's good for 7 days from opening. I don't use soy milk everyday and will use it after the 7 days because it hasn't expired yet. Is this ok? I'll usually use it up to ten days after opening. After that, I'm not too sure if it's safe or just that it loses flavor. I guess I'll give it 10 days from opening too. I'll just write my own expiration date on the bottle!

That sounds right! Hmmm, maybe that's why my BMs have reverted back to where they were before I started anything!

3. Can I use Turkey Bologna or do I have to find a deli and make the deli dude slice up a chicken or turkey breast for me? Is that a Bologna substitute? It should probably be okay. This would be your typical Butterball brand. How long would that keep? From the deli, only a couple of days I think. The prepackaged keeps longer.

4. All of Heather's recipes are soluble. That means that I can take any of her recipes and have it as my first meal on an empty stomach? They're not all soluble because she also incorporates IF in a lot of recipes, but they are soluble-based. Do you mean first meal of the day? Yes, they should be fine! And delicious! Yes, I meant the first meal of the day. Obviously not the dinners but the breads, breakfasts, and snacks. I don't really get hungry in the morning and sometimes by the time I do, it's snack or lunch time.

5. I can't find baked Tostitos but I know that Corn Tortillas are safe since they are soluble. How about if I took a couple of discs and baked them in the oven, sprayed with Canola oil and have that instead? I've tried that with flour tortillas, but corn should work just as well. You could also sprinkle some seasoning on them for extra flavor.

6. I soooo miss spaghetti and meatballs. Can I have pasta with Amy's tomato sauce (I think that's the name) with turkey meatballs? (Please say yes!) YES! I also like Newman's Own Marinara Sauce and Newman's Own Mushroom Marinara (no HFCS). Enjoy! Now this is something to look forward to!

Thanks Maria!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#314174 - 08/29/07 09:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm going to disagree with Maria on one point. For me not all Heather's recipes are safe as first meal of the day. Some of her breads, for example, simply have too much fat for me to eat first off.

The percent of calories from fat is given for each recipe in her cookbook and for first meal I do best with something that gets no more than 15-20% of calories from fat. Later in the day, once I've gotten my digestive system up and running with a meal or snack, I do fine with a little more fat but not first thing in the morning. So if I'm going to indulge in one of the higher fat content breads, I make sure to have applesauce beforehand to prep my stomach and to bring down the overall fat percent.

Ragu 7-Herb Tomato is another pasta sauce that's safe and delicious.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#314179 - 08/29/07 09:42 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Gee, Sand! You're totally right, of course. I wasn't thinking about how some of those meals can be a little too high in fat for some folks. I think that first meal of the day is tricky. I'm still sticking with my Luna Bar first thing in the morning and then plain Rice chex and toast a little later. (I think it was either you or AtomicRose who first gave me that "pre-breakfast" idea.) In the fall/winter, I do fine with a slice of the low-fat quick breads (usually my LF Cranberry Pumpkin bread) and some cereal. Ginger tea first thing in the morning helps too. The "fancier" breakfast recipes I save for dinner.

#314182 - 08/29/07 09:54 AM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

I bought some Vegan meatballs at Whole Foods. They come in a box of like 25 for 5 bucks and they taste great! I think the brand is Whole Market or something it says "VEGAN MEATBALLS" on the front so you cant miss it!

I also use the newmans marinara sauce, its good. I make meatball sandwichs too!

#314237 - 08/29/07 06:21 PM
BendeeWendee

Thanks Sand. I was thinking of maybe a slice of the Maple Oat bread since I'm a big oatmeal in the morning kind of gal. The Lemon Sticky bread would definitely be something that I'd have later in the day.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 940 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1890

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review