All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and pregnancy question
      #313884 - 08/24/07 09:03 PM
bluedragonfly

Reged: 07/15/06

I've just begun to read a bit about IBS and how it affects pregnancy. Heather's link is very helpful. But I still have a few questions about the dairy and pregnancy. I know that calcium is not easily absorbed through dairy products. But yet, when you read anything to do with pregnancy it suggests you get so much dairy a day. I'm wondering what are some good ways to ensure that I'm getting enough calcium in my diet for my needs (and my baby's needs). I'm currently taking a daily prenatal vitamin that has 25 mg in it. I'm also hoping to talk with my midwife (still have to find one....) about this as well. But in the meantime I'm open to some suggestions in terms of food..... or maybe some good recipes (I'll have to check the recipe exchange...)

Thanks!

--------------------
It's not our abilities or gifts which define who we are, but the choices we make.-Albus Dumbledore

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and pregnancy question new
      #313893 - 08/25/07 08:09 AM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

You can drink soy milk in place of regular milk and you should ask your doctor how much of what vitamins you need but im sure you need more calcium. A LOT more haha. Are you pregnant yet/how far along?

#313902 - 08/25/07 11:06 AM
bluedragonfly

Thanks for your post. I am pregnant now, 8 weeks along.
I do drink soy milk now. I have for almost a year now been completely off of dairy. Anytime I've tried anything with dairy in it, it's almost instant "d". So it's not an option for me. Ya I was reading that I need to greatly increase my calcium consumption... I didn't realize that soy milk did provide some calcium. That's good news. Anyway, I was kind of wondering if anyone knew of a good site that explains how much calcium is in certain things such as broccoli, beans, etc. and how much you have to eat, etc. I have recently begun eating beans more often and I'm enjoying them more and more. What about some good bean recipes? Anyway, thanks for the support... I didn't really have to go through this my first pregnancy. It's all new to me. :-) Any help is appreciated!

--------------------
It's not our abilities or gifts which define who we are, but the choices we make.-Albus Dumbledore

Bluedragon just a question? new
      #313917 - 08/25/07 03:14 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I was just wondering what kind of prenatal vitimins your on I am having such a hard time finding any that agree with me I would appericate this so much thanks!
emmasmom
ibs-c
lactose interant

#314020 - 08/27/07 03:52 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I plan to become pregnant soon, and I discussed this with my OBGYN a few weeks ago. She told me a good goal is 1500 mg of Calcium each day. I'm sure whatever multivitamin or prenatal you're taking has at least 500 mg, and you can take a separate calcium supplement, too. I get the rest of what I need from fortified rice milk. She said I probably get more calcium than the average woman my age who actually consumes dairy!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Bluedragon just a question? new
      #314136 - 08/28/07 09:28 PM
bluedragonfly

Thanks for both of your posts. I just saw a dr. yesterday (my dr. is on maternity leave..) and I asked her about the calcium. She said that I should try to eat soy products as much as possible (cheese, milk, yogurt) and that I should also be getting enough vitamin D. The prenatal vitamin has been making me feel so nauseous (I hear you Emmasmom!) She suggested that I take the folic acid seperately every day and that I only take the prenatal every other day. At least until I don't feel sick taking it anymore. But I also have to really watch my diet and make sure I'm eating enough from all the food groups. I just found a midwife this a.m. and my first appointment is on the 12th. I'm really looking forward to it because I know they have a huge understanding of nutrition. I have a gazillion questions to ask. My MIL just gave me a book titled "CalcYUM" by David and Rachelle Bronfman.. It's a Canadian book but it has lots of great information about greens and how much calcium they provide, etc. The best part is that it is full of recipes! I'm going to try a few this week.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 315 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1769

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review