All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How does alcohol affect IBS?
      #313845 - 08/24/07 09:05 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I get sick when I drink, even a few sips of wine. How about you guys? Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How does alcohol affect IBS? new
      #313847 - 08/24/07 09:44 AM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Man-

I have NEVER been able to drink! I thought only red wine has the nitrates, but white wine is just as headachy. Beer is sickening and bloaty (but tasty). And clear grains (vodka, gin) are the most deadly. They gave me the flu! I would only drink about twice a year, when there was a party or I had forgotten what it did to me. But whatever I drank, I almost always blacked out immediately, (and then lost control over how much I drank) couldn't remember anything, and my hangovers lasted 2-3 days, not half a morning like everyone else. The best thing I've ever done is to quit alcohol altogether, after marrying into an AA family.

#313848 - 08/24/07 09:48 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

I've given up alcohol for the past 9 months, and it has helped with my IBS symptoms. For me, even one drink will give me a bad reaction the next morning (D, cramps, headache). It really sucks because I am young and almost every social gathering is centered around alcohol. I get tired of trying to explain why I am not drinking, but lately I've just said that "I can't due to a medical condition." Luckily, many of my friends where I live know that I can't drink and never give me a hard time. But I do miss it once in a while -- especially margaritas .

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#313849 - 08/24/07 10:05 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I find if I'm really stable durring that time I can handle maybe one drink but otherwise, I just avoid it all together. I had a couple really bad instances where I drank alot and ended up quite sick afterwards (kahlua is bad) and in the end, I don't like the way I feel when I'm drunk so I just avoid it completly..

I still like to have a wussy caesar once in awhile though (clam, vodka and a salted rim, that's it)

#313851 - 08/24/07 10:27 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Here's some info from Heather about alcohol and IBS:

How Alcohol Affects IBS

Sometimes I am able to have a small glass of wine after a safe meal.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 734 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1700

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review