All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Those oatmeal bars may be a problem new
      #313944 - 08/26/07 05:35 AM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

It won't be too bad! I've made cream sauces with soymilk. The trick is to make a "roux" first. A roux is equal parts flour and usually butter, but I substitute Earth Balance. Gently cook the flour and Earth Balance, slowly add warmed soymilk and stir, stir, stir. You've just created a vegan bechamel sauce. For Alfredo, add some parmesan substitute and there you go! No, it is definitely NOT the Alfredo sauce we know and love, but it will do when a craving hits. My grandmother would be rolling over in her grave if she ever saw me cooking like this!!!! What kind of an Italian am I??!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#313946 - 08/26/07 07:04 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

That's funny about the Italian thing. My family is also Italian, and you should have seen my mom's face when I asked if we could substitute ground turkey breast for ground beef in some of her homemade ravioli. You would think I had requested the addition of dirt to the recipe!

The ravioli turned out great, but I think my grandmother is haunting me!

Take Care!

Re: Should I still be scared to eat out? new
      #314001 - 08/27/07 11:32 AM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

Eating out has never been so easy for us. Here are a few of my suggestions that have worked with great success over the last 60 days for me! Keep in mind that I have IBS-D and still have slight coloitis from surgery.
1- you probably have anxiety from reations from food. But we all know so much about what we can and can not ever ever eat. good start.

2-if you are lucky enough to be part of the descion making process of where you go for meetings etc- ask to be in charge of making the plans. This way you can call and chit chat about the menu and your "special dietary needs" all while making reservations!

3- choose places that have a varied menu. This will give you a wider range of choices- especially if you have to build your own meal.

4- most places offer low fat options! Fabulous! That's probably where you will find your chicken and fish with a starch and veggie side. Now just order everyting without the sauce. For me- I also have to switch up the veggies- the regular brocoli and squash mixes will put me back on cast away island with Wilson the terrible colon.

5- notice what kind of rolls/bread are being served pre-meal as you are being seated. If it's a white bread variety- eat the MIDDLE out of a couple of pieces prior to eating to pad your stomach. Can't eat the rolls? Ask for a few saltines when you order your beverage or a roll meant for a sandwhich. EVERY place has those.

6- Bring your own crackers, nilla wafers, animal crackers and tea bag of choice with you. Have them while you wait for your food. I have my peppermint tea as we experiment with our eat outings.

7- Don't hassle the waiter. If your ordering becomes too intensive with questions- you're likley not doing your homework. Might be better to let them put in the other parties orders and look for something plain jane quick.

8- My ordering with new guests usually sparks questions- like "Are you on a special diet" Resist sarcasm here. I've learned that saying things like "No- I prefer a bland tastless expensive meal and still staying fat" isn't nice.... This gives me a brief opp to give some education that I have a digestive eating disorder and sometimes food and I don't get along so well.

9- Tip well. They WILL remember you and your special order.

10- If you've made it this far- thanks for reading my personal tips. I hope they help at least one of you. You can't live in fear for your your life. Now go out and embrace it.

Virtual hugs to you all.

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

#314010 - 08/27/07 12:49 PM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

You can make fettuccine alfredo with silken tofu, whirred and spiced in a blender. In fact anything that requires a cream sauce can be made with this (Including quiche-adding soy or LF mayo to make it puff up). Its good and has so far caused me no issues.

#343522 - 03/21/09 04:14 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

On the saltines #5 I remember Heather Saying they were BAD NEWS! You would think safe but she mentioned they were not. I cant remember why.

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

#343523 - 03/21/09 04:19 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

I eat Those Quaker Oatmeal bars all the time I keep them in the car and in my purse for when I need something quick. I have never had a problem are you having a problem with them BendeeWendee?

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

#343619 - 03/24/09 07:09 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

If your diets still limited I'd recommend the eat for IBS cook book. I'm pretty much safe with everything in there except the annoyingly delicious orange cake. I don't know why I'd thought I'd be safe with a fruit that always caused me problems pre IBS LOL.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 602 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12881

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review