Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Those oatmeal bars may be a problem new
      #313873 - 08/24/07 02:31 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Nope, it meant squares. Here's the nutrition info on the Brown Sugar Flavor:
web page

Oat flour seems to be just ground up oatmeal. Oatmeal is one of those strange foods that are half IF and half SF. Some IBSers do just fine with oatmeal, some don't. Since the oats are ground for oat flour that means the IF is pulverized which increases the chance you'll do okay with it.

I'd worry more about the whole wheat flour - that's very tough for me to handle. Sadly, a few years ago a lot of cereal manufacturers revamped their product lines to include more whole grains which means that a number of cereals that are listed as safe one place or another on this site have been IF-ed. (This drives me crazy by the way. I don't want to have to re-read labels every time I buy a product I've bought a million times before.)

Anyhow, if this was an afternoon snack after eating breakfast and lunch, I'd say it's a good thing to at least try and see how you do with it. The oat flour would provide an SF base along with some well-processed IF and the whole wheat flour would provide the IF that can be hard to get.

However, if this is going to be the first thing you eat after fasting for most of the day, I'd try something else. A great choice would be Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread. It's about as safe as you can get, it's very easy to make, and it's delicious. (As I've said before, I do think you'd do much better if you could eat earlier and keep eating throughout the day. I hope you get to the point where you can do that.)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Jordy new
      #313874 - 08/24/07 04:25 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Wow, how do you manage that? What about vacation, traveling on business, or any extended period away from home. Do you always take your own food?

Re: Should I still be scared to eat out? new
      #313875 - 08/24/07 04:51 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

irrational or not, I totallly understand where you are coming from. I have to phyc myself up to eat out. I currently only go to japenese restaurants where I get a side order of white rice, miso soup, and one ebi roll. I am super duper watchfull the entire time and if anything seems at all off I do not eat the ebi roll. I occasionally order baked potatoes out, but ask to have them brought to me still wrapped from the oven so I know they didn't put butter on them. I also only eat out when I am having a fantastic day, and have had at least a week of stability. I have learned to relax enough to enjoy myself providing I eat out with people who know about my IBS, we go somewhere I've been before, and everyone knows there is 60% chance they will end up eating my food instead of me, while I make conversation,and have tea. (I probably brought myself) try to eat out though, choose your dinner companions carefully, and remember if you find one good place where there are safe things you will get some confidence, what is important is to let go of the nerves as much as possible, since they can make you more sick then the food!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#313876 - 08/24/07 04:59 PM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

I follow a limited diet rather like yours, DianeM, except that strawberries give me problems, while kiwi fruit doesn't. I've successfully eaten out a couple of ways: by ordering salmon and baked potato and steamed vegetables, or if I'm part of the planning, I'll suggest a moderately upscale Chinese restaurant, order something made with tofu (soy), and start the meal with a couple of tablespoons of rice. No ice water, no sodas, no coffee, maybe a little bit of Chinese tea if my tummy is very calm. Insist that even if it's your fault for not telling them you don't want ice, that indeed, you can only drink water without ice.

I've been embarassed when a group went out for drinks, and I could only order bottled water, and had to ask which brands were "fizzy" and which were not. "Food allergies" didn't really cover that one.

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

#313877 - 08/24/07 07:08 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Thanks Sand. Whew, I tell ya, I don't know what's up from down anymore. I was always an oatmeal in the AM eater. I get the ones in the cups that are instant. Never had a problem. As soon as I read that we shouldn't have instant, I would start feeling weird after eating it 'cause it's now in my head (so I got the bars which don't give me a problem but now that's in my head too. Good God am I becoming a hypochondriac?!) I have a cabinet at work full of these little instant oatmeal packets and cups and now I guess I'll give 'em away and buy the plain noninstant oatmeal with a box of brown sugar and keep that at work.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#313898 - 08/25/07 09:52 AM
Sand

Well, allow me to confuse you further. First, the instant oatmeal will only be a problem if it's flavored with something like dairy. Assuming the flavorings are okay it should be just as tolerable as regular oatmeal and some people say it's more tolerable because apparently the oats are somewhat ground up.

As for the little squares, if they haven't been bothering you then ignore everything I said and keep eating them. Even if you don't want to do that right now, I still say hang onto them in anticipation of the day when your tummy is more settled and they'll make a nice afternoon snack.

Please, please don't become scared of food. I know it's awfully hard not to with IBS and I'm sure the nausea you suffer from makes food even scarier but that way lies madness. Follow Heather's guidelines and be cautious about buffering IF with SF but if something you're eating is working for you, don't let anyone - including me - tell you to stop eating it. I truly believe that obsessing over every bite we put in our mouths can be almost as hard on our tummies as eating Fettucine Alfredo - and not nearly as much fun.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#313899 - 08/25/07 10:10 AM
Sand

I don't think it's irrational - it took me a long time to feel comfortable about eating out and I still prefer to go to restaurants where I know I can get something safe. A few suggestions:

First, try restaurant eating the first time (or first few times) when you're not in a business situation so if you do get ill you can deal with it more gracefully. That alone would reduce my anxiety.

Second, check out the menu ahead of time if you can. A lot of places have menus on-line or if you're going to try a place where you go for work see if they'll let you take a menu home with you. Then call the restaurant during off-hours and ask questions about any foods that look like they might work - figure out if the food contains dairy, can be altered to suit, and so on.

Third, there are a number of old posts floating around about eating at various restaurants. If you want to eat at a particular place there may be notes about it already on the Board especially if it's a national chain like, say, Chili's. Just do a Search across all Boards with no time limit for whatever restaurant you're interested in.

Here are a couple of old posts about eating at various restaurants:

Lots of restaurants/cuisines

Pizza!

HTH.

--------------------

#313908 - 08/25/07 11:52 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Great tips! I also go around collecting menus (or have friends get them for me). Something else that has helped me, is getting take out from restaurants I'd like to actually go to someday. By getting take-out, I can try out different meals to see how they're prepared, eat it at home where I'm close to the bathroom and my meds, and just get used to the idea of eating meals made by someone else. This has really worked out well for me and my BF, who enjoys eating out but also understands my IBS issues. I've now been to those places I've ordered take-out from and it's given me the confidence to try out other restaurants as well.

Ooh, take-out. Very clever! -nt- new
      #313919 - 08/25/07 04:02 PM
Sand

--------------------

#313927 - 08/25/07 05:45 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Thanks Sand. I always get the Maple Brown Sugar flavors and now I see that they have the same flavors in Organic. Man do I miss eating Fettuccine Alfredo. Hmmm, I wonder what it would taste like if made with Soy milk.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review