All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
help! GERD question
      #313625 - 08/21/07 08:48 AM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

my acid reflux has been really bad lately. doc doubled dose of protonix to 2 pills a day for two weeks. i feel like i'm choking all the time. it's aweful. food and drink have been very difficult. i'm seeing a nutritionist tomorrow cause i just don't know what to eat. in addition to ibs, now i can't have tomato, citrus, orange, lemon, chocolate, spices.... that leaves me very little to safely eat, rice, potatoe, chicken.... i'm so worried about not getting nutrients. i also read that fiber helps maintain proper acidity levels in the stomach. i've been eliminating roughage , insoluble fiber for over a year now, as told to by my doc. hmmm........... correlation to the acid reflux???????????? so, i'm gonna add a bit in each day and see what happens. i had a whole wheat tortilla last night for starters. i think it's bad not to have any fiber for so long. i have heather's book. i also eat lots of carbs first on empty stomach ,usually jmy baked potato. i'll let you all know what the nutritionist says tomorrow. i'm anxious to see. anyone have suggestions for GERD sufferers????? i'm doing all the usual, no chocolate, no citrus, no lying down for 3 hours after i eat, etc.... also , do you think swimming is good or bad for GERD, i heard mixed reviews. some say it's good others say it's bad because you're horizontal and acid can spill into esophagus. anything would help me at this point. thanks.

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help! GERD question new
      #313870 - 08/24/07 01:58 PM
Laura Renee

Reged: 05/17/07

Not sure if you take peppermint tea, capsules, or mints, but peppermint for me really makes my acid reflux bad. Prilosec OTC really helps me control the pain. I too have very little I can eat and am losing a lot of weight. Rice really upsets me, so I'm down to fish, chicken and plain baked potatoes. I'm going to see a nutritionist also and will share any info I can. I'm sorry for your difficulties, but you're not alone

Re: help! GERD question new
      #313895 - 08/25/07 08:45 AM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

Protonix is REALLY overpriced. My doctor and my pharmacist both told me that if I didn't want to spend another 150 bucks on that, that Prilosec is the same thing and the only reason why it is OTC and way cheaper is because their patent ran out or something like that...but I guess if you have insurance it probably covers it huh? I did kind of feel like the Protonix worked better than the Prilosec but I am feeling a lot better so maybe I was just making myself think that?

I have little problems with my GERD right now, so I really enjoy swimming. I feel like it really gets things moving around for my IBS. I do notice that while im swimming around i'll have very very little heartburn every 10 minutes or so if that or maybe a kind of acidy burp but not enough to bother me at all. But like I said, I have it under control a bit right now as I don't eat anything really acidic. But if yours is kind of out of control right now, maybe youd experience worse. Or maybe it'll really help! I'd say if you'd like to swim, just follow the same rule about not laying down after you eat. Wait 2-3 hours.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1021

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review