All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: IBS when you are young is difficult new
      #313348 - 08/16/07 07:17 AM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

hi, well I bought her book Eating for IBS but everything contains wheat in her recipes. I don't eat diary and wheat and eggs, well I only started few days ago but there is not a lot I can eat and I can't eat like this forever. I just find this all very difficult to cope with.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#313393 - 08/16/07 03:08 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Can you give us typical examples of your breakfast, lunch and dinner meals and snacks? What fruits do you eat? What liquids do you tend to drink?

Heather's diet does include wheat but it does not include dairy and eggs - well not egg yolks, egg whites are fine and they contain a lot of protein! As I recall in the UK you can buy liquid egg whites in a cartoon at Sainsbury's like you can here in Canada.

There are lots of people on the board that have wheat problems so you aren't alone.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#313435 - 08/17/07 01:41 PM
zuzanka23

hi, well I usually have a banana first thing in the morning and then flapjack which contains chocolate chips tho, so it might not be good and I also have a glass of alpro soya strawberry milk. then when I'm at work, I have a rye bread with dairy free butter and chicken slices (similar to ham but made with chicken, no red meat). then I have another glass of alpro soya milk. then I get home and cook something, like today, I had a poached salmon and made potato chips in the oven. I used a bit of oil, so it might not be good. this is what I ate today. oh and I also drank 3 cups of peppermint tea during the day. I'm really bloated and can't stop passing gas lol. its a bit gross but I don't know why. I mean, I don't think I ate anything bad today?? oh I also had another banana in the afternoon. I don't eat wheat, eggs and I still seem to suffer. I still don't feel ok. why? I also want to thank you for all this help. thank you!!

#313436 - 08/17/07 01:52 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

For me, that would be too much soy and I would be quite uncomfortable. Have you tried fennel tea? This might help with bloating...

#313451 - 08/17/07 04:21 PM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Quote:

hi, well I usually have a banana first thing in the morning and then flapjack which contains chocolate chips tho, so it might not be good and I also have a glass of alpro soya strawberry milk. then when I'm at work, I have a rye bread with dairy free butter and chicken slices (similar to ham but made with chicken, no red meat). then I have another glass of alpro soya milk. then I get home and cook something, like today, I had a poached salmon and made potato chips in the oven. I used a bit of oil, so it might not be good. this is what I ate today. oh and I also drank 3 cups of peppermint tea during the day. . . . oh I also had another banana in the afternoon. I don't eat wheat, eggs and I still seem to suffer. I still don't feel ok. why? I also want to thank you for all this help. thank you!!

Zuzanka, a flapjack in the United States is a pancake made with wheat flour and eggs, and made with chocolate bits would probably mean that the chocolate is milk chocolate. Why not have a cup of cocoa and scramble some egg whites, instead?

I don't know how chicken is similar to ham, unless they are both soy-based, which would be ok by me. Pure white-meat chicken is okay, too, though not dark-meat chicken. But the rye bread! Have you read the ingredients on the label? Rye bread is usually made with wheat. I spent an afternoon in a regular grocery store's large selection of breads, and the best I could find was corn bread that had more corn than wheat (because the corn was listed first). Pumpernickel *may* have all rye in it. In the "Fresh Grocer," "Nature's Way" kind of stores, that have organic products, and more products with single ingredients, you may be able to find spelt bread, which does not have wheat. Or look for "gluten-free" bread, that takes out of the wheat the stuff that usually triggers celiac or IBS symptoms.

A lot of soya milks in the US have sweeteners added; that includes "organic dried cane juice" which is a fancy word for sugar. The soy milks I've been able to tolerate use a brown-rice sweetener, or no sweetener at all.

The salmon sounds delicious. Look at it this way--you are on your way to becoming one of the world's experts in diet and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)--and where to find the right stuff.

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

Hey zuzanka, am also from the UK new
      #313481 - 08/18/07 11:46 AM
princess_pp83

Reged: 03/16/06

hey there zuzanka, I am a 23 (nearly 24) yr old female from the UK. I am from Leeds, whereabouts are you based? I am IBS-D with gas and bloating and have been controlling this with imodium, exercise (am a health freak anyway) yoga postiions and heather's diet since summer 2004.
I too used to eat rye bread (rye crackers= 'Ryvita') until I started the diet and ditched them completely. I now have 'crispbread' instead, which is golden in colour and is also gluten free (for my snacks between meals,) with dry 99% fat free crackers, which I buy from Morrisons supermarket. (look in special dietary section where they also sell gluten free bread etc)
I too practically live off chicken slices (have them on oatcakes at lunch, on tortilla wraps at lunch, and combine with crispbread for afternoon snacks.)
I used to only have alpro soya milk as my dairy alternative but with the whole gas thing I now have only a little bit with my porridge in morning (just a dash, the rest is made up with water) and then will have a soya smoothie (soya milk, some berries and chopped and peeled apple) for pudding after evening meal.The rest of the time I drink 'Rice Dream' rice milk (which I buy from Morrisons or Holland and Barrett in town) If there is none available then I will buy 'Provamel' rice milk (from Morrisons also) Rice milk really does make a difference to the gas and bloating, I also cut out other forms of soy that I used to eat such as Tofu and believe it to have made a difference.
Have you tried porridge in the morning? It is my basic staple and I have it with a banana and a sprinkling of linseed every day.
Grilled chicken breast is incredibly tolerable for me, (I cook it in morning and take a small handful wrapped up to go with SF snack for afternoon snack. I am GUARENTEED to have a BM when I eat this way) and my evening meal is always this or oily fish. (tinned salmon or sardines) with some grilled veg and SF such as sweet potato or rice. I used to only eat brown rice but now I do a 50/50 split of white and brown rice. If i choose to have the oily fish I know I will take an imodium afterwards, but this is a personal choice I make for myself as I find the health benefits of oily fish far outweigh the fact I have to take a little pill to deal with it. It is the only thing I have that is high in fat. The naughtiest thing that I do in terms of my IBS-D is not maintaining a proper IF/SF balance with my evening meal, as I always have lots of spinach with my grilled veg. I add half a small white roll along with my SF to deal with this.
I love my veg and fruit, always eating within the guidelines, although I know realistically that if I cut down a bit my D would probably be a bit better.
How are you in terms of lifestyle and mental health? A lot of people on here have highly recommended the hypnotherapy. I have eating disorders and am currently having cognitive behaviour therapy to try and change the way that I am so 'set' in my ways (for example, with eating) This is also to deal with my anxiety, deoression and low self esteem. I have chosen not to take an AD on numerous occasions as I feel that talking therapies are what I really need. I have my own personal reasons for not taking an AD, due to having a mother with very serious mental health problems.
Bananas are an absolute life force for me and it sounds like you have already picked up on that!
I also have a banana shortly before bed with nettle/fennel tea and a piece of dry toast and dry crackers. Careful not to eat too close to bed so you don't get acid reflux from lying down shortly after eating, but always find this night time snack works well for me. I do not go any longer than 3-4 hours without food or a snack, and I drink only water, soy and rice milk, nettle/fennel tea (and blackcurrant herb teas to spice it up)
Let me know if I can give any more advice. I don't tend to post on here very often but read the boards quite frequently.
Hope you are all ok out there
Heather (no, that really is my name!)

Re: A place to but wheat,dairy,egg free food new
      #313489 - 08/18/07 02:36 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Im gluten intolerant (celiacs disease) May I recommend www.glutenfreemall.com They sell many item that are wheat, dairy and eggs free.

Re: Hey zuzanka, am also from the UK new
      #313490 - 08/18/07 03:21 PM
zuzanka23

hi Heather!! I'm really glad you wrote to me!! you won't believe it but I'm from Halifax!!! which is I think so cool! I'm really glad there is someone who lives near me with the same problems like me! I take imodium every day cos I am quite scared to get diarrhoea at work or actually anywhere. I think if I stayed at home and was eating safely, I would probably be ok quite lol, but the anxiety just makes me feel really bad and I get stomach aches and then need to go to the loo. when are you going to be 24? it would be cool to chat somewhere else, maybe we could have these private sessions on msn lol, and try and help each other and stuff. I know it sounds well weird, but I'm just glad that you wrote to me and I can talk to someone who lives near. anyway, if u wanna chat then let me know. but its ok if u don't want to. oh and what oatmeal do u eat? or what porridge? I can't eat bread because I'm sensitive to wheat and eggs. I have to look in shops for more stuff like crispbread. well hope to talk to you soon!! thanks for replying!! zuzana

#313491 - 08/18/07 03:32 PM
zuzanka23

hi, thanks for your suggestions. well I did check the ingredients in that rye bread and its organic and wheat free. so I don't see, how there could be a problem. gluten free bread, well I tried that and then checked the ingredients and it contains egg, which I cannot tolerate. with that soya milk, u might be actually right, I never thought of checking the ingredients. I will check if there are any sweeteners. thank you!

#313522 - 08/19/07 07:42 AM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Quote:

hi, well I bought her book Eating for IBS but everything contains wheat in her recipes. I don't eat diary and wheat and eggs, well I only started few days ago but there is not a lot I can eat and I can't eat like this forever. I just find this all very difficult to cope with.

You sound very brave and energetic, to have searched out organic rye bread at this stage! I, too, don't eat wheat or eggs or pork. Mostly I invent simple things: mix a small can of tuna fish with hummus, or put hummus on a rice cake, for a quick snack. Things like that.

There's really a whole world of things to eat out there, just not what the [U.S.] food industry want to sell us to eat.

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2760 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review