All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
3 month update...results
      #313189 - 08/14/07 08:49 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

First i would like to thank this board for giving me a starting point.
In late May i begun to take control.

Eating--No red meat, no dairy, no junk, low fat.
Acacia fiber--up to 3 teaspoons per day.
Pepermint Tea--every evening
Hypnosis--one session every 2 weeks, CD every day.

I have been following the above religiously for 3 months now. I see SIGNIFICANT improvement, especially with my morning episodes. my immodium consumption is WAY down. Gas and Bloating is Way down too.

I am FAR from being normal but i feel that i am doing at least 50 % better than i was before.

Now, i still get Violent D maybe once per two weeks and the morning are normal. It used to be violent D at least twice a week and every morning was a disaster where i would get pain and urgency at least 3 times in a row.

The one thing that i have noticed is that when i eat fruit after a meal, or on empty, it really triggers an attack.
I can eat all the veg that i want and i am fine, but fruit gets me almost every time. I looked up fructose intolerance and D is not even a symptom. Any thoughts on this.

I just wanted to share my progress with all of you who i know can relate to my story.

thanks
MBH

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

fructose malabsorption new
      #313198 - 08/14/07 10:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Fructose intolerance is a serious hereditary disease that is usual detected in childhood. Check fructose malabsorption on Wiki and this review article. You will see that D is a major symptom.

From what you describe it sounds like you could have problems with fructose. Try eating only low fructose/sorbitol fruits given in this posting for a couple of weeks and see if it affects your D. It made a big difference for me.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: fructose malabsorption new
      #313200 - 08/14/07 11:25 AM
mybellyhurts

Syl,
As a metter of fact, peaches and nectarines affect me just as bad as bananas, oranges, papaya, mango.

#313201 - 08/14/07 11:59 AM
Syl

I am not surprized they are high in sorbitol which exacerbates fructose malabsorption. You can read about this in the review article. Table 1 gives the amount of sorbitol in a variety of fruits.

There is a note about about sorbitol in these fruits in the other postings too.
"Stone fruit: apricot, nectarine, peach, plum (note these contain sorbitol)"

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: fructose malabsorption-questions for Syl new
      #313210 - 08/14/07 03:05 PM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

Hi Syl

If intolerance to fructose et al is usually detected in childhood-why didn't I ever have any problems digesting fruit and honey when younger? I could and did often eat half a canteloupe with a spoon with no consequences. Ten years ago, I noticed that eating apples caused a bit of gas. This was new. But I could still manage other fruits. Now, within the past year or two-no fruit is safe, apples are out of the question-one peach (ONE SMALL PEACH) can keep me darting and farting (sorry-it's really horrible) for a whole afternoon and night (!!) and and even blueberries are out, strawberries are now a nightmare, and as little as a teaspoon of honey is devastating 4 hours later.

My question is-why now? It appears as if my gut is systematically becoming incapable of digesting entire categories of foods one by one. The articles you recommend are very medical in jargon, and do not address any remedies. Is this condition here to stay-for the rest of my life, or can I turn it around? For an IBS vegetarian, that is a large part of a not-so-varied diet that is now unavailable. I really miss my summer fruit salads.

#313224 - 08/14/07 04:41 PM
Syl

Fructose intolerance is a different disease than fructose malabsorption. The proper name is hereditary fructose intolerance. It is an inherited disease resulting in deficiencies in the liver enzymes that convert fructose into energy for the body after it leaves the GI tract and enters the bloodstream .

Fructose malabsorption is a change in the body's ability to move fructose from the GI tract into the blood stream. Many things can bring about this change including GI infections and possibly the continuous consumption high fructose foods.

My tolerance for high fructose foods was great until the spring of 1980. While living in Silicon Valley I got a serious GI infection after I trying a high IF vegetarian diet. My IBS changed from being tolerable to putting me in bed for days and weeks at time.

It took me years to figure out that I had to take complete control of my diet by eliminating the common triggers, managing my SF and IF, removing lactose, fructose and sorbitol containing foods from my diet.

Interestingly I found that once I got the fructose problem sorted I could significantly increase my daily consumption of a variety of other things that I had taken out of my diet (e.g. oils/fat, nuts and a bit more IF). It took a couple of years before I could eat a few strawberries and raspberries and a small amount of citrus fruit. I still experience problems if I eat too much or too frequently. I believe the reason is that there is a significant amount of IF in the berry seeds and citrus pulp. The reason I believe this is that I can eat homemade strawberry and raspberry jelly

I love summer fruit salad too. I just have to be careful of what I put in it now. However, I really love the freedom from the constant pain, bloating, gas and D/C.

--------------------

#313244 - 08/14/07 07:45 PM
yowwza

Syl,

You seem to have really figured it all out. I could really use some help, but no one seems able to advise me. How should I best organize my diet? I believe I have celiacs also-my Dr. has taken me off gluten, because my fatigue, bloating and arthritis at a very young age are indicative of celiacs. I admit eliminating gluten improved these problems somewhat, but I have not really complied consistently, because I like to work out a lot, and really need carbs. Where else would I get the energy?

But arthritis and allergies and bloating are getting to me. The one difference between me and most IBS and Celiacs is that I am extremely C, and never get D. I have a very sluggish dry colon, and the even the gradual introduction of SF really upped the gas factor. I had to quit the acacia fiber.

So raw vegetables, soy (serious bloat and indigestion), fruit, most grains (bloating-even with quinoa), dairy, oils, legumes, and of course meats are out. I am exhausted and confused. Where do I begin? I have read Heather's books. They are comforting, but I think she is dealing with a different problem. Most of Heather's safe foods are not safe for me. Virtually all gluten-free bread has fruit juice in it. Grains and carbs cause bloat and C. I am allergic to eggs. When I did eat chicken and fish-it increased the C.

I really don't even know if the causes of the bloat and the C are related. I have yet another condition-with the symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome (although I tested negative, the rheumatologist acknowledges that I have the hallmarks-every part of my body that is supposed to be moist-is very dry, including my colon, hence the Miralax) and the test indicated there is some auto-immune activity going on.

With all this-I wish I could combine all the doctors, and diets for IBS, celiacs, and figure out what to do. It's a mess.

Any ideas?

#313261 - 08/15/07 05:51 AM
Syl

Perhaps a good place to start is to ask your GP for a test for celiacs disease. Have you had a blood test or colonoscopy for celiacs disease?

--------------------

#313267 - 08/15/07 07:54 AM
yowwza

Yes-I've had two celiac blood tests-both negative, but my GP says they are not all that accurate, and why not just avoid the invasive small bowel test and treat it as celiacs. I was given a colonoscopy (not specifically for celiacs), which was normal.

I found this rather confusing website last night:

http://www.foodintol.com/matrix.asp

I seemed to have almost all the symptoms of all the food intolerances except the fungal stuff (knock on wood), and I have to eliminate just about everything. They suggest an elimination diet-but I don't eat meat (a large part of this diet), and I have a rigorous life-I need calories!

#313277 - 08/15/07 09:54 AM
Syl

Yep - an endocscopy is the gold standard test for celiac disease. I had one - it isn't too bad of a procedure. Unfortunately, gluten intolerance has become popularized and many people needless try to stick to a gluten free diet when they don't have too. It might be worthwhile having the endoscopy so you know for sure if you have celiac disease

I know the food intolerance web site. It has some interesting information but much of it is general and not particular helpful in assisting us to true identify problems.

The elimination diet approach is useful. I have used it in the past with some success. I don't think it focuses on meat - it is a very general approach. The most successful approach that I found was to establish a base diet that I knew significantly reduced my symptoms. My base diet is similar to Heather's BTC diet. It is composed of oatmeal, chicken breast, rice and boiled carrots. When my symptoms flare-up I drop back to my base diet for 2-3 days. Once I am stable I start adding things back in until I find the problem food. It is sort of an elimination diet in reverse

The difficult with IBS is that a food may seem to be okay but it may take several days after re-introducing it before it cause symptoms. For example, while D is a common symptom for fructose malabsorption it can also cause C. The fructose that is not absorbed in the GI tract can pass through to the colon where it is a food source of colonic bacteria. Some of these bacteria can be methogenic that is they produce methane gas as by-product of digesting carbohydrates like fructose. Methane is known to reduce the contraction rate in the bowel producing C. Once the food source for these bacteria is restricted they produce less methane and less C. However, it can take a quite a few days after something is eliminated from your diet before it has an effect on the colonic bacteria ecology.

Oh well - it is all a big mystery.

--------------------

#313564 - 08/20/07 09:03 AM
mybellyhurts

I have noticed that Pineapple is the safest fruit that i can eat. Is it the same for you?

MBH

#313565 - 08/20/07 09:30 AM
Syl

I use to eat a lot of pineapple but recently I have been sticking with slightly ripe bananas and kiwi fruit (deseeded). Ripe bananas do give me problems. Occasionally I can have a few strawberries and raspberries. I think the seeds in those berries give me problems so I cannot eat them day after day.

--------------------

#313569 - 08/20/07 11:46 AM

Unregistered

mybellyhurts, I have the same problem. My Gastro wanted me to introduce fresh fruit back into my diet and I'm miserable. Back into a flare, between that and I think I upped the Nature Calm too much, getting gas and bloat and not really going. I seem to just get more C when I eat things that are supposed to make you go. What fruit do you eat? I am okay with unsweetened apple sauce and bananas. That's it. And why doesn't NC work when I took 3 tbs? I get so confused. All I get is pebbles, more if I take NC, but pebbles. Someone on this thread said they are dry stools too, me as well. Ugh I'm so frustrated. I keep trying though. I'm afraid to take Heather's fiber with IBS-C?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5508 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4070

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review