All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Barley - Pearled or No???
      #313127 - 08/13/07 01:59 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Barley is listed as high in SOLUBLE fiber on the soluble fiber list here. You talkin' PEARLED barley - right?

Anyone know the fiber content breakdown (s vs insf) for Pearled and Unpearled cooked barley?

Anyone eating it as a ibs okay food - low glycemic alternative to high oxalate oatmeal?

Odd that I find it can give me D easily where oatmeal / also high soluble does the opposite...slows things down?

Anyone?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Barley - Pearled or No??? new
      #313131 - 08/13/07 02:44 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Pearl barley is barley with the husk removed. That is what you want.

100 grams of cooked pearl barley contains about 2 grams IF and SF of which about 1.5 grams is IF. However, barley is also high in a resistant starch that acts like SF.

I think it is safe to say that cooked pearl barley has about 50% SF and 50% IF.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Barley - Pearled or No??? new
      #313713 - 08/22/07 10:26 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

I've notice when I cook pearled barley in water / just over the top of the barley and see that all the water is absorbed in the barley and do not pour out even the little extra water after cooking / just pour and store it all in the fridge (looks like barley soup almost) the cloudy water actually GELS and I think that THAT is the soluble fiber - or beta glucan they call it that we need. I know that when I drained it after cooking it, it seemed like ALL INsoluble fiber to my system!

I'm have SUCH a hard time finding IBS-D SOLUBLE fiber to eat that is LOW OXALATE. I tried Quinoa - but gee, that had so much fat in it - HIGH CALORIE - HIGH INLAMMATORY - and acted just like I'd eaten a sack of raw nuts in my system. They say is so good for you but at 700 calories a cup? Crazy.

So thanks for answering.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5462 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review