All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
alcohol..?
      #312517 - 08/03/07 10:06 AM
rlb

Reged: 07/29/07

i know that alcohol is a serious trigger... but if i were to have a few drinks with friends, what would be the best way to drink (besides not on an empty stomach) that would prevent a really bad attack? i am never quite sure which drinks cause worse problems for me. any tips of what drinks are more IBS-safe than others??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: alcohol..? new
      #312526 - 08/03/07 11:05 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I am always safe with wine, white or red. I also seem to tolerate vodka quite well. Mix it with cranberry juice...no sodas if you have trouble with carbonation. Beer tends to hurt my stomach as do dark liquors.

Definitely eat something safe first and take an Immodium if it will make you feel better.

#312527 - 08/03/07 11:07 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Obviously the best choice is not to drink. I used to on and off and never could predict which nights I would have an attack. And those nights I did, were completely ruined for me and sometimes the people I was with. Others might know more, but if you can't avoid drinking, then have a high soluable fiber meal first, avoid soda, carbonated water, red bull (or other energy drinks).

As much as I enjoyed the ocassional drink, it just wasn't worth the potential ibs attack. I just have water when I go out and just brush off people's suggestions that I have a drink. It's never an issue.

#312532 - 08/03/07 11:36 AM
GeorgiaGal

Reged: 06/11/07
Loc: Georgia

I can tolerate wine and Vodka or Tequila in Cranberry juice too. Margaritas don't work for me because of the citrus.

I've spent so much time going back and forth on Gluten-free, dairy-free, high fiber, diets for the past 9 years... the only thing I can honestly figure that triggers me are tomatoes and citrus fruits.

--------------------
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. -William Gladstone

I have a glass of wine with supper every day -nt- new
      #312534 - 08/03/07 11:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312548 - 08/03/07 05:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Definitely the empty stomach thing is the worst! Also anything with an additional trigger should be avoided; those would be caffeine, dairy, HFCS and carbonation. I like mint mojitos or sake or mead or liqueurs. The mint in the mojito makes me feel better (or ginger in something would help too). I cannot handle grape wines at all and wine coolers are not good either (even though not grapes). I do better with rice or honey wine. I tend to use alcohol in foods more than for drinking, but I would always go with a small amount of rum or liqueur over grape wine.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#312550 - 08/03/07 05:15 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

I can drink vodka martini(s) without a problem, but I try to avoid beer although the low-carb versions seem a little easier to stomach.. don't know why, but they definitely don't bloat me. I can drink a glass of wine with dinner too - none of these on an empty stomach, as everyone mentions. Also kahlua (no milk, just on ice) is okay at the end of dinner if I need something sweet.

#312566 - 08/04/07 11:03 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I like stuff such as Mike's Hard Lemonade, Woodchuck (all flavors), Smirnoff Ice, etc. Usually they have about 4% of alcohol which is not that bad. They are carbonated but I drink them slowly so lots of the bubbles kind of "dissolve" in my mouth and they don't bother me that way. Actually, I'm usually OK with carbonated drinks in general if I drink them slowly.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2938

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review