All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Menstruation and IBS-D, a survey
      #312388 - 08/01/07 12:52 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm having a particularly rough patch right now with my period and increased D. I also have endometriosis, and the pain and D are unbearable.

I'd like to know what symptoms come up for you at the time of your period, when they occur(before, during, after), and if anyone has found a method to minimize or prevent these symptoms.

I get extremely loud rumbly tummy several days before my period along with D, which keeps me awake at night. I've tried the BTC diet, peppermint capsules, tea and Immodium for D, raspberry tea and heat packs for the pain-- which are somewhat helpful for everything but the D. (The peppermint capsule went through me so fast that it burned on the way out - ha!) Any suggestions are much appreciated as usual.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Menstruation and IBS-D, a survey new
      #312393 - 08/01/07 01:26 PM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

How funny. I'm going through that today. I don't have endomitriosis, so I'm not sure how that plays in. My pms was getting so bad that my ob/gyn put me on a 3 months cycle of birth control so I only get it 4 times a year. That has helped a lot. Still some pain the times I'm supposed to get it, but it goes away pretty quickly. My worst pain, now, is the week of. So far today, I've been to the bathroom about 10 times. I finally took an immodium. They usually help me, but i have been on prescription strength ones before. Have you tried a prescription? Even if it's just for that time of the month?

I try to drink more water and get more sleep than normal. I also try to eat on the stricter side of the diet. Today, so far, white bread, rice and soon, a banana.

Heating pads sometimes help. Tylenol sometimes helps. Oh and my symptoms are headaches, severe abdominal pain, cramps, D (and just to emphasize DDDDDDDD), tired and irritable.

I often stop focusing so much on eating small bites all day long because it just makes the D go all day long. I'll usually reach a point during the day where I stop eating until I get home.

I'm on Donnatel for the IBS pain and it also helps minimize the monthly pains. I hope that helps. I truly feel for you and am sitting, kinda cramped over my desk and just want to go home and lie down.

Hope you feel better.

#312397 - 08/01/07 01:33 PM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Yes, I get D right around my period. Since I am IBS-A, the D can be a relief since it stops the constipation. But then it gets worse and messy, you know what I mean. I've always put it down to hormones. The pain is also worse that time of the month

#312415 - 08/01/07 05:39 PM
Digby

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like we're on the same diet now! Hope you feel better soon too!

#312844 - 08/08/07 08:11 PM
Shibby

Reged: 06/21/07
Loc: Clifton Park, NY

I'm struggling with the same problems! I'm sorry for you, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. I was just diagnosed w/ endo & IBS in Mar. 07.
Before my period my gut acts up (gas, rumbling,that maybe I'll have D feeling, but I don't) so I try to eat according to the plan & I started taking Bentyl before meals but that really makes me tired. As soon as I start bleeding I have to take Immodium or I would be running to the bathroom all day long. The problem is I can't tell if its' gas or poop so staying on the toilet is the safest place to be. The IBS pain is pretty intense. I actually have rectal pain in addition to the menstral cramps. Although my period is short, the IBS can flare up from day 1 - day 11 of my cycle. So before I know it I have my friggin' period again.

I had a laparoscopy at the end of Mar. & they removed alot of endo. I think that helped. So far every month is different. This time I thought my symptoms were better but it's day 6 & I spent the morning running to the bathroom w/ gas & urgency but nothing productive.

I couldn't leave the house without the Immodium. I am thinking about trying birth control pills because this is so disruptive. Have you thought about that? I'm a little hesitant but I'm getting desparate.

Question: Do you use soy products or stay away from them because of the endo?

I'm sorry for your pain & I hope you find a solution soon.

Soy products new
      #312911 - 08/09/07 10:00 AM
Digby

Thanks for sharing your story. It does help to know we're not alone in this!

I eat soy yogurt, and occasionally tofu. Sometimes it gives me gas, but I don't know that it affects the endo. You can read up on what Dr. Weil says about soy and enometriosis on his site, www.drweil.com.

#313428 - 08/17/07 11:16 AM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

I realize this is really old. But I wonder if any of you have found relief.... I was officially diagnosed in April 07 and I got knocked for a major loop and now I can't eat anything without feeling sick....

So I went to the doc yesterday and they took me off of all dairy for 10 days.... any suggestions as to how to get back on the horse. All I am eating is rice and cream of wheat and I had a banana and that settled... thank goodness....

I do take birth control pills and they work-- it's been helping the D-- but not the migraines!
Karen

#313523 - 08/19/07 08:10 AM
KayCee

Reged: 06/16/07

I believe I may also have endometriosis. I have had extreme pain during menstruation my whole life, and it has been progressive and only continued to get worse. I am being sent for a laparoscopy. During my period my whole system is messed up, even more so than usual. I too get intense pains and D problems that make me really sick. By the time I get feeling close to "normal" it's that time again! I am just wondering since you have endometriosis, how do you cope with the constant pain? I have been struggling with it for years and I have reached a point where I feel absolutely helpless, and really just depressed. I'm so tired of being in constant pain, feeling huge and bloated. If you have any suggestions on how to cope I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2557 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1750

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review