All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please help, I need any help you can give me
      #312302 - 07/30/07 08:56 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

Took my special daughter to the doc. today and he told me to put her on Glycolax 1/2 scoop everyday with the benifiber that she is taking now. If anyone is taking the glycolax or has taking it please let me know what was or is your out come on this medicine, and I know that everyone is different so it doesn't matter what kind of replies I get I just want an ideal as to what to look for in my daughter's reaction to this medicine. I would appreciate all the info y'all can give me.
Thanks, angel's mom (eva)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help, I need any help you can give me new
      #312303 - 07/30/07 09:24 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi, I've never taken Glycolax but you can check this web site: www.AskAPatient.com

You can type the name of the medicine and you'll be able to see people who've taken the medicine, why they've taken the medicine, and what reactions they've had.

I did a search for Glycolax and couldn't find it but if you do a search for its generic name of MiraLax, you'll get 80 somewhat results.

Hope this helps and I hope your daughter gets better.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#312308 - 07/31/07 05:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Glycolax and Miralax are the same thing. They are osmotic laxatives containing polyethylene glycol. Many people on this board take Miralax ofr IBS-C.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#312309 - 07/31/07 06:24 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

It is the only thing that has helped my constipation. Better than SFS, diet, or zelnorm. It was a relief to finally "go". I take it in addition to Natural Calm....which has been another tremdendous help to me.

Miralax is often prescribed for children. It is gentle and non habit forming...so my doctor and pharmacist insist. Definitely try it. You may need more than 1/2 dose. I need more that that in order to go at all. At least 3/4 dose plus the natural calm.

I agree with Syl...many people on the board are taking it..so do a search and you will get many "hits".

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#312389 - 08/01/07 12:55 PM
Angel in Pain

Thanks for the help, Is there a difference to if it's Miralax or Glycolax. I read some were that Miralax works better, but they gave my daughter Glycolax. I started her on the Glycolax yesterday and it look like she was cramping and did a bm once I think (I say I think because she doesn't always tell me when she goes to the bathroom and sometimes she flush it before I can catch her). Her stomach is still hurting last night and this morning but she looks like she's handleing it well even though she hurts. I quess I'll have to give it at least a week to see if it's really working? Have you been taking the Miralax for a long time and do you take it every single day? Is natural calm another thing to help you go or what?
Thanks for all the help.
eva

#312390 - 08/01/07 12:56 PM
Angel in Pain

Thanks for the wed sigh, it helped a lot.

#312421 - 08/01/07 06:52 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

You're welcome! I don't take Miralax or Glycolax but I do believe that they are the same thing.

Here are some websites that I came across that may be of interest to you:

://www.drugs.com/mtm/glycolax.html

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-91337-GlycoLax+Oral.aspx?drugid=91337&drugname=GlycoLax+Oral

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,550398%7CGlycolax,00.html

And then, one of my favorite websites where you can do a symptom check:

www.webmd.com/default.htm

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#312626 - 08/06/07 07:25 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Is there a difference to if it's Miralax or Glycolax. I read some were that Miralax works better, but they gave my daughter Glycolax

I have only taken the generic form of Miralax....I think that would be the glycolax, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, I take it every day. Unless I get the unusual episode of D...very rare for me, though. I did some experimenting with the dose for a while. Somedays I skipped, some days I only took a partial dose. But now, I use it every single day to prevent backups.

I've been taking it for well over a year now.

Yes, Natural Calm give me the final "kick" to be able to go. I usually take the Miralax in the am and then 1-2 tsp of Natural Calm at night, before bedtime.

I still need the combination of both meds to get the most benefit. I am thinking of increasing the NC and reducing the Miralax...but for me, the Miralax works, so maybe I shouldn't change it.

I definitely had cramps and bloat when I first started using it. I think that is normal. I still have pain and bloat, but not sure that Miralax is the culprit as I have had those symptoms for years before introducing Miralax. At least with the Miralax, I am able to go...and that in itself cuts down on the pain.

How is you daughter doing on it?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#312636 - 08/06/07 08:04 AM
Angel in Pain

Thanks Jordy for your input and everyone else that has helped me. She been on the Glycolaz since July 31, she still in pain and bloated, but I'm going to continue for a while until I feel it not really helping her. Though yesterday evening she was feeling bad during the day and I was afraid that she hadn't gone to the bathroom, (since I can't really check her everytime she goes and she doesn't tell me when she goes. If I'm in the other room and I hear that she's in the rest room than I'll go check to see if she done anything. Other wise I just go by what her tummy looks like and if it looks real bloated and I haven't been able to see if she has gone or not than that's when I start getting scare and not sure what to do and will give her a laxitive to asure me that she will go. I'll ask her and she'll say yes but I can't count on that because there or times I'll check her and she say yes she has gone and when I check there's nothing there. I give her tylenoil for pain, and altroid if the paid continues after that of course her tea all day long. The docotor thanks that she is playing me to get attention but I know better and this started 5 years ago with a gallstone and after her removal of her gallbladder it still been hurting off and on and almost every single day some better than others. I just can't pin it down to what yet.
Thanks again,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 594 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2444

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review